cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2020 Silverado 1500 Duramax and the Ike

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Silverado did extremely well with the exception of brake applications compared to the Ram Ecodiesel. Just a reminder that the Chevy has a exhaust brake and the Ram doesn't.

Enjoy...

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"
19 REPLIES 19

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
So an in-line six makes for a pretty good Diesel engine arrangement. Who knew?

Next thing Ford will be inventing โ€œarchitectureโ€ (for an engine not a building) with pushrods ๐Ÿ™‚

kw/00 wrote:
Yea the 4x4 probably has a higher row rating due to different gearing. Really am impressed with this truck. Will make a great DD and pulling a smaller camper then I have now when I downsize. Not worried about the timing belt in the rear, no doubt could be expensive to change with a 4x4. Maybe there will be an easy way of doing it as time goes on. Anyway great video. I wonder how many 1/2 ton diesels are selling compared to gas jobs? I did see the F150 diesel up close and spoke to the owner a few months ago. He pulled a pretty good fifth wheel with it. The engine was so quiet.... regardless will be checking this truck out in a few years.

Timing chain. Oil pump is driven with a belt.

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Yea the 4x4 probably has a higher row rating due to different gearing. Really am impressed with this truck. Will make a great DD and pulling a smaller camper then I have now when I downsize. Not worried about the timing belt in the rear, no doubt could be expensive to change with a 4x4. Maybe there will be an easy way of doing it as time goes on. Anyway great video. I wonder how many 1/2 ton diesels are selling compared to gas jobs? I did see the F150 diesel up close and spoke to the owner a few months ago. He pulled a pretty good fifth wheel with it. The engine was so quiet.... regardless will be checking this truck out in a few years.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I can hold back without brake applications on most any grade without brake applications. 30-35mph on a LONG 14% grade locked in 2nd. I am smarter than the computer!!!

Oh, I was towing 33k combined!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
They run what the manufacturer gives them. They attempt to test fairly as much as possible. No test is 100% apples to apples because trucks are different ie ex brake versus none. Weather changes etc. I think they do a pretty impressive job with the testing all things considered. Itโ€™s not lab conditions itโ€™s real world.

LITEPHIL
Explorer
Explorer
Funny how the last two truck test these guys have done, neither truck would down shift. Two complete different engines and transmissions. I've had many many trucks and never had one that wouldn't downshift. Also testing in very cold conditions doesn't tell it all. Why didn't they get the 4wd if it has a higher tow rating? I don't know about these guys. Also why not shift manually like anyone of us would have done? I kind think there're Bozos.
2022 Chevy Silverado RST Duramax NHT
1954 Chevy 3100 Carryall 4x4
2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:
ksss wrote:
The Eco Diesel has 2K more towing capacity than does the GM. I would agree in watching that the exhaust brake isnt dialed in well enough yet, only one less brake application than the Ram and Ford which dont have a Ebrake. The Chevy certainly has enough power to pull more, they need to dial in the Ebrake and increase the tow rating. MPG numbers look very impressive.

Might want to doublr check that. IIRC, the baby Dmax was 8 brake applications vs the EcoD's 4, and the Ram EcoD had quite a bit more weight behind it.

I quoted what they said in the cab on the way down.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

ib516
Explorer
Explorer
ksss wrote:
The Eco Diesel has 2K more towing capacity than does the GM. I would agree in watching that the exhaust brake isnt dialed in well enough yet, only one less brake application than the Ram and Ford which dont have a Ebrake. The Chevy certainly has enough power to pull more, they need to dial in the Ebrake and increase the tow rating. MPG numbers look very impressive.

Might want to doublr check that. IIRC, the baby Dmax was 8 brake applications vs the EcoD's 4, and the Ram EcoD had quite a bit more weight behind it.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
blofgren wrote:
LanceRKeys wrote:
I find these very entertaining. The real question is, when are we going to see the ford 7.3 big block go up the hill with a full load? I canโ€™t wait!

X2. We have a couple of them on order at work and Iโ€™m looking forward to trying them out.

I donโ€™t see any info on Ford.ca yet. Do dealer fleet sales have info now?

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
LanceRKeys wrote:
I find these very entertaining. The real question is, when are we going to see the ford 7.3 big block go up the hill with a full load? I canโ€™t wait!

X2. We have a couple of them on order at work and Iโ€™m looking forward to trying them out.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I used to complain about their testing methods too. I've decided there's nothing wrong with it. They're letting the vehicle make the towing decisions instead of themselves. Most vehicles would improve with manual intervention at certain points.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Roy Rogersโ€™ headlights...squinty! Heโ€™s loves it.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad