cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I-84 from Connecticut to New York. Issues?

Hydrowilly
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have experience driving I-84 west bound? I’ll jump on it from I-91 southbound from Vermont. I’ll be in a 31 ft motor home towing a small car and wonder if there’s any issues anyone knows about the route. I’ve never traveled it in any vehicle. Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8

Hydrowilly
Explorer
Explorer
I can confirm that the traffic and potholes are as bad as ever. Will not be using it again.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
People worry about roads in the North. Try I84 through PA, NY & CT!!!. The less you have to drive on it the better. Unfortunately when you need to get from one place to another sometimes it is unavoidable. No complaints on traffic volume. The POTHOLES!
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Hydrowilly
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I went through there last fall and the paving work was complete through Danbury and Waterbury. I thought it was greatly improved over past trips. The short section in New York was miserable.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
Stay on I/91 until you get to I/691 which goes right to I/84 but avoids Hartford.
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
84 in Connecticut can be packed during "rush hour", but otherwise is okay. It is becoming due for repaving.... so I think more than a few areas are pretty rough, towing a TT on it can be painful, motorhome might be okay.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been on I-84 in the Portland OR area, a bit busy at times is an understatement.:B I can only imagine the north east and shudder.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
It's an interstate and suitable for your vehicle (or most any vehicle). It can be a bit busy at times, and there is likely to be some construction here and there, and some fairly rough pavement at times in New York and Pennsylvania. It's not a road I'd take for the pleasure of driving over it, but for getting from one location to another it's an okay option.