cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery storage

Bob_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
Storing 3 batteries for the winter. One is a deep cell for the trailer, and two are maintainability free from the truck. All are 12 volt. My question is, can I connect them all together, pos to pos and neg to neg, and put the battery tender on to keep all three charged?
Bob&Sue
2021 Cedar Creek 34IK
2011 Ford F-250
6.7 litre PSD
Pullrite Superglide
11 REPLIES 11

Bob_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I felt it was OK to do what I wanted, but now feel better doing it. Also learned about full charge prior to hooking up.
Bob&Sue
2021 Cedar Creek 34IK
2011 Ford F-250
6.7 litre PSD
Pullrite Superglide

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
Dang, the propaganda and price looks good on that norther tool maintainer.

D, you got one and how does it perform?
I have several and love them. They never overcharge or boil the water out of my batteries. I keep one on my riding mower whenever I'm not using it. I put one on the chassis battery of my MH when I found out the inverter/converter wasn't charging it. When I head south for the winter, I take the batteries out of the vehicles staying home and leave them connected all winter long. I highly recommend this charger and the pulsing it does to keep the plates from sulfating - a major destroyer of batteries. Northern Tool might have them even cheaper after they start their Christmas sale.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Dang, the propaganda and price looks good on that norther tool maintainer.

D, you got one and how does it perform?

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200332201_200332201
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
i do that all the time and all winter with two 12V lawn machines. Works great for me. I leave the batts in and run a home made jumper from one to the other.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
freetime58 wrote:
Yes you can, is it advisable, No!

If you choose to do it anyway, when they are all connected in parallel make sure you charge properly by putting the + lead on the + terminal of the first battery and the - charge lead on the - terminal of the last battery. That way they wall all get charged equally.

No, the middle battery will get less of a charge in a bank of three like that. However, the idea is to get all three charged up fully first, then bank them for the Float, when the Float voltage will be sufficient to keep them all fully charged. "Floats all boats" thing.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

freetime58
Explorer
Explorer
Yes you can, is it advisable, No!

If you choose to do it anyway, when they are all connected in parallel make sure you charge properly by putting the + lead on the + terminal of the first battery and the - charge lead on the - terminal of the last battery. That way they wall all get charged equally.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Can you connect all of them and charge together-- yes.

BUT, if not too difficult it is preferable to charge batteries of same technology size and age together.

Depends on how easy it is to switch from charging one bank to the other on a weekly basis.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
My fully charged then disconnected GC-2's lose less than 10% over a six month period from November to April.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Do it all the time. In reality you don't need any charger on them so long as they are fully charged and not connected to any load. Flooded cell batteries (and the maintenance free ones are flooded cell as well), will only lose about 3% of their total charge per month and cold don't impact them at all. A fully charged battery is actually viable sown to -80 (f).
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Sue wrote:
Storing 3 batteries for the winter. One is a deep cell for the trailer, and two are maintainability free from the truck. All are 12 volt. My question is, can I connect them all together, pos to pos and neg to neg, and put the battery tender on to keep all three charged?
Yes, that is what I do.
There is something special about camping in an RV.