cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is CA 120 Lee Vining to Manteca Do-able?

RussOnTheRoad
Explorer
Explorer
I'm wondering about the feasibility of traveling west from Lee Vining, CA on CA 120 through Yosemite to Manteca pulling a 34' 5th wheel (37' if you count the bike rack on back) with my 6.7 liter diesel dually.

I've driven this route many times in passenger vehicles but it has been some time and I've not ever thought about what it would be like to tow a trailer. Nor do I remember if I'd seen rigs like mine making the journey.

My fifth wheel is about 15K, and the truck has made every ascent and descent I've asked of it before including several crossings of the Rockies.

The truck has an engine brake and typically I don't need to use the brake pedal until downhill grades exceed 8% or so.

I'm less concerned about the uphills than I am about the downhill west of Groveland and any of the curves I'd encounter along the way.

Has anyone traveled this route in this direction with a truck and trailer similar to mine, and if so, would I be OK or would it be best to plan another route?
Subscribe to my blog for photo tips, travel, boondocking, campground, product user reports and more: RussOnTheRoad.wordpress.com
9 REPLIES 9

RussOnTheRoad
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everybody. We decided to travel California 58 to 99 N rather than 395 in part because many campgrounds along 395 are closed for the season. We also couldn't nail down boondocking locations in areas that matched the daily driving distances we needed along 395.
Subscribe to my blog for photo tips, travel, boondocking, campground, product user reports and more: RussOnTheRoad.wordpress.com

Finally_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Don't go on Highway 49 between 140 and 120. I did that with my then 21 foot trailer. For about half the distance I think I could read the trailer's license plate on some of those tight turns. I had to go as slow as 15 mph to stay in my lane one some of the blind curves. Also, straight down to the bottom of a canyon, no guard rails of course. Never again.
'17 Tiffin Breeze 31BR, '13 Honda CR-V
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar & Brake System

Travelon
Explorer
Explorer
We have drove this route twice, going up and coming down with our signature rig and tow with no problems. Your rig should handle it with no problems also.

Enjoy the ride,

Travelon
2004 Silverado 2500HD D/A CC LB 4x4, Timbrens, Fold-a-Cover,
Line-X, DeeZee Running Boards, Prodigy, Husky 16K UBS,
2004 Titanium 32E37DS, Two Honda EU2000i

RussOnTheRoad
Explorer
Explorer
maddog348 wrote:
395 S. ~ 58 W.Bakersfield ~ north on 99.

JM2¢ ~~ YMMV

Thanks. I know we can go via 58. But that's not what I'm asking about.

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
395 S. ~ 58 W.Bakersfield ~ north on 99.

JM2¢ ~~ YMMV

RussOnTheRoad
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a way out of Yosemite on the west side other than CA 120 perhaps some combination 140 and 49? We need to get to the west side of Yosemite.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
You could do that but not sure you’d find it enjoyable. My Minnie’s box is only 21 feet and it was okay.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've towed a small trailer on that route several times -- no problem. Frankly, I don't remember signs warning against longer vehicles, but I bet Second Chance knows what he is talking about.

I know for sure that on the Lee Vining side there are signs saying no commercial trucks are allowed on 120.

As you come into Groveland, try to find time to reward yourself with a pizza or calzone at Two Guys, just off the highway. Really, really delicious. (This is not off topic --after a tough stretch of road, a pizza is just the thing!) 😉

But don't try to eat the calzone when it is hot and you are the driver. Don't ask how I know this.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Signs posted saying tractor-trailers over 30' from king pin not advised. Several places with 6 - 7% grades. We've done it in the car, but I wouldn't pull my 5th wheel on it if I didn't have to... though it probably could be done. We just did a similar thing in SoCal. It took a while and I was a bit tired when we finished.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015