Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lance 1121 compatibility

Sglloyd
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

Me and my lady are looking to add a ruck camper to our lives. We have been looking around and found one we both really like. It’s a 2000 lance 1121. We have a quad cab Dodge Ram 2500. I’m going to add airbags regardless of what camper we add. And I’m wondering if this camper will safely load into the standard 6’4” bed. I’ve heard rumors about leaving the tailgate down and strapping it to the bed. Can you folks help point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Sam
13 REPLIES 13

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
As route pointed out, the COG will be the problem along with the truck’s payload number.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
We don't have a slide and it weighs 4,500lbs ready to camp, 11 footer.

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Sglloyd wrote:
Thank you for responding so fast. That is really unfortunate. What is the largest we could fit. The slide out seemed nice since we also really would like to bring our dog.

Weight wise, you'll be limited by what you're willing to do for upgrades on the truck and what you're comfortable with. I've got a 4klb + shortbed camper riding in a shortbed Ram 2500 with airbags, sway bar and good tires. I'm fine with it. Some aren't.
Some won't go past the rated payload sticker on the truck which limits to mostly pop up campers and very light hard side campers. Certainly not slide outs.
Length wise, you're limited to a max of 8-9', or campers that are designed to be on short bed trucks.
Several mfgs make short bed capable campers with slide outs.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
There’s a big difference between taking short trips, and going whereever you want and carry whatever you want, too. I “could” carry my same camper on my stock SRW. I just had to limit what I carried and it wasn’t possible to tow much due to the tongue weight. Just having partially full black tank made a difference in handling.

The same generic principles still applies. Decide how you will use a TC, decide which one you want, and then buy a truck that can haul it. Unless you really need a big truck and TC, you can probably have more comfort with some other type of RV for less.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Per my experience you are going to stretch SRW limits with 10-foot camper and those who tried to solve it with 19.5 wheels - eventually ended with dually.
I would not buy TC without a slide as I buy RV for comfort.
Meaning you should start looking for nice dually before picking up the camper you like.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for finding that post of mine Bob, it saved me from having to dig out that old scale ticket. I still have it after all these years just to remind myself how heavy all that gear can be. I still have the 1121 as well, but you can see what I’m hauling it on now.

Sam, the short answer is the 1121 is too heavy and too long for a short bed 2500. The center of gravity would be way behind the rear axle, and you don’t want that. Makes the steering a little squirrelly, to say the least.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
What's important is rolling down the road weight as well as its length.

read the post by NRALIFR re: weight

2. If you are looking at that model year(s) ……..
Guys , correct me if i'm wrong ,
Wasn't it that early model Lance with the sagging slideout problem ? Didn't sleepy rebuild an 1161 which had the same basic build as the 1121 ?

1161 and 1121 sagging slide
see repair by 'Sleepy'

bookmaker
Explorer
Explorer
I owned an 1121 for 12 years before it was totaled by hurricane Michael. We hauled it on a 1997 Ford F350 dually. It was a load even for that. Forget what the weight sticker says, it is much heavier.

Dale
Dale & Rose Cavin, Marianna, FL
2004 Dodge Laramie dually , Cummins diesel
2010 Lance 1181
Previous:
2004 Lance 1121 (lost to hurricane Michael 10/10/18)

routeforty
Explorer
Explorer
I know you want the largest that will work,I think the more important factor is the Center of gravity, which is the balance point of the TC-where the weight of the TC is the same on the front of the TC as the rear. In a TC made for an 8' truck bed the COG of the TC is going to be farther to the rear of the truck putting more weight on the rear of the truck and taking weight off of the front(steering) of the truck. Then you get into handling problems.Believe me this is not enjoyable(nor even remotely safe)to drive. Each TC manufacturer lists the COG of each model in a brochure. You want it to be over the rear axle or possibly a little forward rather than behind(although with a dually you could get away with some behind, depending on the weight of it). Slideouts are great, but add a lot of weight. You might want to look into a popup TC.
2018 coachmen leprechaun class c 2008 KZ spree 260FL

Sglloyd
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for responding so fast. That is really unfortunate. What is the largest we could fit. The slide out seemed nice since we also really would like to bring our dog.

routeforty
Explorer
Explorer
Doubt if you will find much support on here for that setup. Some things not working in your favor would be the center of gravity(COG) of the TC, which is probably going to be a ways past your rear axle; the weight of the TC-the brochure says a little over 2900lbs-but that is before options. I had a lance 1130 that the brochure said weighed the same as the one you are looking at but the actual weight was right around 4000lbs be fore I put water, clothes, food etc in it. The rear hangover including the bumper was over 3' and I had an 8' bed. Consider that with your shortbed. The single wheels on the rear of your truck are also something to consider. There is probably no way that I would even consider doing this. If you really like the TC possibly consider sitting it on a trailer and pulling it with your truck. But this probably defeats the purpose of having a TC. Gary
2018 coachmen leprechaun class c 2008 KZ spree 260FL

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yup no go there.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Greg_B
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes you can get by with an 8 or 9 foot camper in a shortbed, but that campers an 11.5 footer with a slide out. Unfortunately you'll need an 8 foot bed with that one.
04 Dodge 1 ton dually, Cummins, auto, quad cab, 4x4, SLT, Sport, Reese Titan V

04 Lance 1161, TV/DVD, high efficiency A/C, Honda EU2000