cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fifth wheel hitch adapters

flyfishing48
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new Chevy ordered to replace my current 2012 . I ordered it with the 5th wheel prep package. My current hitch is a Husky. I can’t seem to find a way to move this hitch to the new truck. I cant’t seem to find rails that go with the GM puck system.
Has anyone On here already done this?
I see Curt and B&W have hitches that drop right in the 2020 trucks. I suspect Reese may also offer one. Huskies website seems to be undergoing a make over and can’t seem to be able to navigate the site very well.
Gloria & Tom::R
Chevy 2500 Crew Cab Duramax
Cougar 24 RDS
B&W Companion Hitch
20 REPLIES 20

macjom
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same dilemma because there are many choices when it comes to trailer hitches, but I ended up getting a B&W because of the recommendations of my friends and the good reviews I saw online. The B&W is well-built, easy to operate and has a solid latching system.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Simply compare the structure of the CURT and B&W, no comparison. Now look at the CURT heads mount/pivot point is several inches below the kingpin connection. This is a known cause of CHUCKING. Now look at the pivot point for the B&W, it's right at the same elevation as the kingpin.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
MFL wrote:
Yes, like mentioned above, the jaws of the B&W are simple, but solid, will not clunk/rattle. When you operate the lever, see how the cam action jaws work, you will see the jaws cannot open, with lever closed and pinned.

Jerry

Closed ,and pinned , yes . don't pin them ,and you drop a fifth wheel ,like any other hitch . Same procedure with about any hitch, my Reese closed ,and pinned ,no problem.

Big problem otherwise 🙂

Like Ron alluded to, and I realize, that the 3-point cam action of the B&W head, is a design that LIKELY cannot release, even if not pinned, as the pull keeps the jaws closed. However, even the B&W lawyers say in the owners manual to do a pull test, so if asked if it would release when not pinned, I would say not to try it.

I don't know what Reese you have, but if you like it, wanted to keep it, even if you could afford one, that fit the pucks directly, then it must work great for you. I offer free advice, that makes the most sense to me, but never tell anyone that my hitch is better than theirs. The OP is asking for advice.

Myself, buying my truck new, I wanted a new better quality hitch than what I had. I gave my old one away, didn't want the bother of selling it. If the OP can afford a new truck, then likely could afford the small cost of new hitch. Figuring about $1200 for hitch, he already paid for the puck system, less the adapter cost, about $400, and selling old hitch for maybe $400, it's only going to cost another $400 for the new one, with direct fit, and no added adapter height.

Jerry

I have a Reese Signature 18K slider ,same hitch head as their Elite, been a great hitch. Did I want or need a new hitch , no . I had just bought a new truck with the puck system ., but the hitch was fine. Reese adapter for around $300 at the time, and I was back in business. I get the feeling the OP is somewhat in that boat. Pretty sure there were not a lot of options in early 2014 when I bought the Ram as far as what worked in the puck system, especially a slider, so the adapter made a lot of sense to me . Its sounds like the GM puck system is fairly new in their trucks, not as many options .

If he has the puck system ,then an adapter would work great . His previous truck is a 2012, so there is a good chance that Husky is not that old. Its a no brainer as far as cost if he wants to go with the Demco adapter , around $450. New hitch as you say $1200. My math is an additional $750

It sounds to me like he really doesn't need a new hitch. If so , then sure get the direct fit for the puck system

flyfishing48
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all of the input. I have a couple of more weeks before my truck is built, so I have time to research and think about this.
The discussion here has been helpful. We are in Gulf Shores right now and there are a few dealers and a camping world near us. A good time to look at hitches while we wait.
Gloria & Tom::R
Chevy 2500 Crew Cab Duramax
Cougar 24 RDS
B&W Companion Hitch

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
MFL wrote:
Yes, like mentioned above, the jaws of the B&W are simple, but solid, will not clunk/rattle. When you operate the lever, see how the cam action jaws work, you will see the jaws cannot open, with lever closed and pinned.

Jerry

Closed ,and pinned , yes . don't pin them ,and you drop a fifth wheel ,like any other hitch . Same procedure with about any hitch, my Reese closed ,and pinned ,no problem.

Big problem otherwise 🙂

I actually towed my 5er (12,300#) over 20 to 30 miles sharp turns rail road tracks and freeway driving with the Handle unlocked with my Reese twin jaw and it didn’t drop.

I kinda thought you were the daring type. :B
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
cummins2014 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
With the handle closed and NOT pinned the B&W will NOT come unlatched. Personally would not run like that!!! Fake news!!!

Simply close handle, pin or lock it closed look at the jaws wrapping around the kingpin. YOU are latched NO question!!!

Well that’s an assumption on my part , and we know about assume 🙂

May I ask what IS the purpose of the pin then .

I hope this is the beginning of a civil and honest discussion now and in the future!

I would assume to keep something from knocking to open. I LOCK mine as an extra security measure as there are jerks out there!

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
cummins2014 wrote:
MFL wrote:

Jerry

Big problem otherwise 🙂

I actually towed my 5er (12,300#) over 20 to 30 miles sharp turns rail road tracks and freeway driving with the Handle unlocked with my Reese twin jaw and it didn’t drop.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
cummins2014 wrote:
MFL wrote:

Jerry

Big problem otherwise 🙂

Like Ron alluded to, and I realize, that the 3-point cam action of the B&W head, is a design that LIKELY cannot release, even if not pinned, as the pull keeps the jaws closed. However, even the B&W lawyers say in the owners manual to do a pull test, so if asked if it would release when not pinned, I would say not to try it.

I don't know what Reese you have, but if you like it, wanted to keep it, even if you could afford one, that fit the pucks directly, then it must work great for you. I offer free advice, that makes the most sense to me, but never tell anyone that my hitch is better than theirs. The OP is asking for advice.

Myself, buying my truck new, I wanted a new better quality hitch than what I had. I gave my old one away, didn't want the bother of selling it. If the OP can afford a new truck, then likely could afford the small cost of new hitch. Figuring about $1200 for hitch, he already paid for the puck system, less the adapter cost, about $400, and selling old hitch for maybe $400, it's only going to cost another $400 for the new one, with direct fit, and no added adapter height.

Jerry

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
With the handle closed and NOT pinned the B&W will NOT come unlatched. Personally would not run like that!!! Fake news!!!

Simply close handle, pin or lock it closed look at the jaws wrapping around the kingpin. YOU are latched NO question!!!

Well that’s an assumption on my part , and we know about assume 🙂

May I ask what IS the purpose of the pin then .

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had a 18k B&W Companion I could have moved to my new truck and bought a new puck base. Instead I sold it first call for $550. Then I ordered the B&W RVK 3600 and have not looked back.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
flyfishing48 wrote:
I have a new Chevy ordered to replace my current 2012 . I ordered it with the 5th wheel prep package. My current hitch is a Husky. I can’t seem to find a way to move this hitch to the new truck. I cant’t seem to find rails that go with the GM puck system.
Has anyone On here already done this?
I see Curt and B&W have hitches that drop right in the 2020 trucks. I suspect Reese may also offer one. Huskies website seems to be undergoing a make over and can’t seem to be able to navigate the site very well.

Why not the Demco DM6194 frame adapter ,and simply attach your Husky hitch to that. Same type of adapter they sell for the Ford, and Ram OE puck systems .

I know the B&W fan club would rather you spend your money on the B&W hitch , but like many they want to use their existing hitch . Big reason I bought the Reese picture frame adapter to fit my Ram puck system, so I could use my Reese hitch that I already had . The Demco is also a great product .

And save some money for a new fly rod :B

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:

Jerry

Big problem otherwise 🙂

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II

Jerry