Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching to Class C

WuzzFuzz
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings,

I'm contemplating switching from a 35ft 5th wheel toyhauler to a new Class C motor home. I am planning to go cross county towing a trailer with my trike inside next summer. I'm looking for advice on what to look for. I thinking about a gasser in 25ft to 28ft range.

Thank all in advance,

Rory
10 REPLIES 10

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
I recommend the OP get an enclosed "Cargo" trailer for his trike. I towed my HD Super Glide on a small folding Kendon trailer and it worked very well but...

It was outside in the weather everywhere we went and the bad guys could eyeball it at will, often with evil intent. Finally replaced it with a 6' X 10' {14' overall} cargo trailer and Wow, what a difference. It will not only haul my Indian Springfield {862# of Torque monster} bike and trailer weigh 2,220# but my Polaris Rzr as well - Rzr and trailer are right at 2,600#.

Traveling with your own private garage is amazing. In addition to either toy I have lots of room to move extra gear out of our 24' C and into the trailer. The V-10 tows it with no issues and most of our travel is in the mountainous west.

Get a cargo trailer... you won't be sorry.

Here is a shot taken in late October at Arizona Oasis in Ehrenburg right on the Colorado River:

:C

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
garmp wrote:
We just placed our order for a Phoenix Cruiser 2351DPhoenix Cruiser 2351D.
It is 26 ft. Right in the middle of you preferences. Queen bed on the rear slide & we ordered the dinette. On a Ford E450 so towing shouldn't be an issue.
We really like the company, their products, service and the ability to customize the coach to your wants. Not the cheapest on the market, but the best (in our opinion).

Sweet. You're going to get a lot better MPG than me with it so streamlined. The E 450/V10 is a great way to go. I looked up the specs and it looks like you will have the typical 7500# tow rating. Congrats!!
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just placed our order for a Phoenix Cruiser 2351DPhoenix Cruiser 2351D.
It is 26 ft. Right in the middle of you preferences. Queen bed on the rear slide & we ordered the dinette. On a Ford E450 so towing shouldn't be an issue.
We really like the company, their products, service and the ability to customize the coach to your wants. Not the cheapest on the market, but the best (in our opinion).
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
~DJ~ wrote:
Long time truck camper. Still my favorite but getting too old for all the loading requirements i.e. removing/storing tailgate, installing 4' dual truss stinger for boat, etc. Then we tried travel trailers for a few years. I refuse to camp in trailer parks (too noisy/busy) and I had to cross some of my favorite boon docking sites off the list (too long). This year we bought a very gently used Class C from my friend. 2017 22' Conquest on a Ford E 450 with 6.8 V 10 with 10K miles. Could not be happier. Goes anywhere my truck camper could unless clearance problems. 7500# tow rating but no need for a toad. This could actually be a daily driver. And I could always throw my MC on the back.

Yes it's small compared to a 30' TT. But everything is relative. It's a castle with tons of storage compared to a TC. Nothing can beat the "jump in, stop at grocery store and hit the road" factor with no hooking up or loading!!

Plus, no more lifting/lugging propane tanks around!!

You've nicely described how we feel about our 24' Itasca Class C on a Ford E450. It's 18 gallon propane tank, two 12V AGM Group 31 coach batteries, 45 gallons of fresh water, 4000 watt Onan generator, and two queen beds make it a great RV for drycamping anywhere.

We don't have solar and don't need it because we have 5 ways of keeping our coach batteries charged without it.

Due to that great E450 chassis with it's good ground clearance, we often explore and camp off dirt and gravel roads. As you say, we can go about anywhere a PU can, other than where hard core 4X4 might be required ... but we have a lot more comfort when we get there.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Long time truck camper. Still my favorite but getting too old for all the loading requirements i.e. removing/storing tailgate, installing 4' dual truss stinger for boat, etc. Then we tried travel trailers for a few years. I refuse to camp in trailer parks (too noisy/busy) and I had to cross some of my favorite boon docking sites off the list (too long). This year we bought a very gently used Class C from my friend. 2017 22' Conquest on a Ford E 450 with 6.8 V 10 with 10K miles. Could not be happier. Goes anywhere my truck camper could unless clearance problems. 7500# tow rating but no need for a toad. This could actually be a daily driver. And I could always throw my MC on the back.

Yes it's small compared to a 30' TT. But everything is relative. It's a castle with tons of storage compared to a TC. Nothing can beat the "jump in, stop at grocery store and hit the road" factor with no hooking up or loading!!

Plus, no more lifting/lugging propane tanks around!!
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the longer Class C's are already maxed out on weight so towing maybe an issue. It's likely the shorter RV will have more towing capacity and if you drop the trailer you maybe able to park in city easier. Class C will feel small compared to 5th wheel.
Kevin

lucy6194
Explorer
Explorer
We traded our 28 ft 5th wheel in this past summer on a used Winnebago navion 25.5 ft. Basically because my husband had always done the driving and now he can't do I can now do it. Yes we had to down size. Yes interior is smaller but I love it. Don't intend to tow for now. Uber or rent. Hope to be in key West for winter. Got long term rental car for $1800.00. You can't buy the hook up for that.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would suggest that you look for the best floor plan that will suit your needs then pick one on a Chevy Chassis.

There you will have the best of both worlds,one that is more roomier,rides better,gets a bit better fuel mileage,larger fuel tank and will get you there in comfort.:B
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
We went from an F250 CC Diesel lg. bed pulling a 32ft Arctic Fox 5'vr to a 24 ft. Forest River Forester LE Class C, 450 Chevy chassis, 6.0 gas V8 engine. Bought from a Dlr.-was 1 year old and had 7000 miles on it. So much easier to set up, to drive, to park-don't need a toad cause we cam pretty much take it anywhere we could our F250. If we do need additional transportation we use Uber or rent a car. Biggest draw back is lack of storage. Biggest plus is now my D.W can and will drive it and being able to park it just about anywhere.
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
You had a truck and toy hauler with the trike inside it. Now you will have a Class C with a trailer that has the trike in it.

So instead of being able to park the toy hauler and get around town in the truck, now you have to get around on the trike.

So it is all about whether the trike can get it all done instead of the truck. (Bags of groceries in the rain?) You are the only one who knows that.

On the size of the Class C, agree with getting a longer one since you are used to a longer trailer. You don't want to feel cooped up. We went from a 28 ft 5er to a 28 ft C. Been in a 24 ft C. No thanks!!!!

On the Class C being able to tow something like your trike trailer, I know little, but beware that Class Cs are built near or over being overloaded at the rear, so check for what the tongue weight will do. Also of course, whether the Class C has the towing capacity in the engine /drive train.

We like the two swivel chairs in the side opposite the dinette instead of a couch there. You can swivel and look out that side's window, but you can't do that on a couch without getting a kink somewhere in your no-longer young body. 😞
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.