cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toilet Leaking

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
I'll say sorry for being vague to begin with. Today when shutting things down in our Jayflight my wife noticed a small amount of water around the base of our toilet (thetford aqua II I think? Model # is 42072). I didn't have time to remove it or start looking for the leak but when I wiped up the water I could see it come back slowly when flushing the toilet. I'm not familiar with what the plumbing looks like back there, can anyone give me an educated guess what the problem would be? Our camper is at our hunting camp 250 miles from home so I need to have a solution in hand next time we go out even if that is a replacement toilet. Thanks in advance.
14 REPLIES 14

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Nice work
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
good feed back rex. :C

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
olfarmer wrote:
You need to figure out where the leak is. It could be the floor seal or it could be the fresh water supply or the flush valve. I guess if you can't get to it and can afford it, just replace the unit, but, make sure you have a new floor seal gasket to put under the new stool.

It was the floor seal. It was cracked and worthless. Used the new installed toilet/seal all weekend with two daughters and a wife that didnโ€™t understand the concept of โ€œminimal water usageโ€ with no new leaks.

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
You need to figure out where the leak is. It could be the floor seal or it could be the fresh water supply or the flush valve. I guess if you can't get to it and can afford it, just replace the unit, but, make sure you have a new floor seal gasket to put under the new stool.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
Got this done last trip out to the property. Looking at the old toilet I think the issue was the flange or seal from the toilet to the floor. Since I already had a new toilet and the old one off I went ahead and replaced it anyway. Thanks for the help.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
rexmitchell wrote:
I may just buy a new one since I don't know what is wrong and can't look at it before going out there. Seems I can get the same model online for around $150 shipped. If I pull it off replacing it should be easy. Any tips for replacing it? Do I need to purchase any other parts? It says it comes with needed harware/seals to connect to existing water lines and floor flange.

If it says it comes with necessary hardware you should be good to go. Lots of Youtube videos on how to change rv toilets.
Kevin

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
I may just buy a new one since I don't know what is wrong and can't look at it before going out there. Seems I can get the same model online for around $150 shipped. If I pull it off replacing it should be easy. Any tips for replacing it? Do I need to purchase any other parts? It says it comes with needed harware/seals to connect to existing water lines and floor flange.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Put a paper towel down and find out just there the waters from, side under the pedal, back, rt side. Lifting the toilets no big deal, 2 bolts and a water line. Unlike S&B houses there is no wax ring it's a foam rubber type ring. The Theford Agua II has a repair kit available for the pedal leak, if you go that route DO NOT LET the pedal return spring get loose. I did and a buddy did the same thing, it can't be put back in. That said I switched to the Dometic 300. It's much better unit and actually swirls the water flushing, about $150. The 300 & 310 models are the same with the exception of shape, ones round the other oval.

While you have it out, put a shut off valve in the supply line, it allows the water to be shut off at the toilet and not the entire camper.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Every toilet issue I have had required me to remove the toilet - some were easy and some are PIA. Don't know what kind of toilet or age of your rig - but the new toilets are nicer/taller than old ones and they are inexpensive enough to consider buying new toilet rather than fixing old ones. Just a thought.
Kevin

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
We just had two leaks fixed n our Sealand toilet in the Mh.
One was the pedal that fills and flushes. There was small piece inside the valve, but the o-ring was leaking due to slop in the valve. The toilet had to be taken up and the valve bout the size of your palm replaced. The second leak was the water supply. We had the small hose replaced in 14 in south Carolina when it flooded the place. The nylon fitting broke on the too small hoes in a tight bend. Then it was replaced with solid nylon or other plumbing fittings. It was leaking at the joint. Replaced it with proper hose this time. Our RV's flex and move a lot.
We had water in the floor too. Wife was blaming me for poor aim at first.
She's gonna pay. ๐Ÿ™‚
Looking at the parts and that you think it is an Aqua... in follow on post your mileage may vary.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Could it be coming from the flush valve? I need to replace mine. It developed a leak and dribbles on the floor. Initially I thought it was coming from where the toilet mounts to the floor.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Could be water supply valve leaking
Could be Vacuum Breaker leaking

Thetford Aqua-Magic Parts
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
Any idea what could be leaking? I thought I was dealing with fresh water and no water that was flushed.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Typically there is two bolts and they all have a rubber O shaped gasket between the toilet and flange.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900