cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leave slide out?

chast
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all—just bought a 2010 Bighorn with three slides, that will be parked on a leased lot and lived in for six months of the year in Florida. The question is can it be left parked with the slides out permanently or do I have to bring the slides in when we are not here. There are no slide toppers. What say you??
chartrue2@aol.com
14 REPLIES 14

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
DutchmenSport wrote:
I think it really is a matter of your own personal preference and comfort level what you do. I don't think leaving the slides in, or leaving them out makes any difference.

As stated above, birds, wind, UV damage, falling debris from trees, acid rain, excessive weather conditions, sand blowing in the wind if you are in a sandy area, of course, all of these things are good reasons to pull the slides in, especially if you are not physically not with the camper for an extended period of time.

Personally, when actually using the camper, the slides are out. When not actually using the camper, the slides are in.

I finished my "winterizing" on my 5er just this morning. The water lines and refrigerator were all done Saturday. This morning I removed all the food items and everything that was wet.

We still use the camper through out winter at home. We will continue to sleep in it every night for quite a while. But not tonight.

This morning, after getting all the liquids out of the camper, I pulled the slides in. Why? Because we expecting snow to start in just a few hours and run till after midnight tonight. Why the slides?

Well, I don't want an inch or a foot of snow on top of the open slides, eventually turning into ice. In the event I need to pull the slides in, like... bug out in a hurry, I know the slides are clean, ready to go.

Once the snow passes, I'll extend them again, and will be sleeping in it again.

And an fyi, last winter was the first winter we had with our new 5er. Ours has the Lippert 6 point leveling system. Last winter we were preparing for our winter Christmas trek to South Carolina and the jacks were so frozen, they all went into "error" and I could never get them out. In the Spring, I took the 5er back to my dealership and they had to physically, with a wrench, retract 2 of the jacks that errored because they were jammed up with ice earlier and screwed up. So, while the snow and ice are falling, my 5er jacks are all retracted. yea, it looks funny with the nose all the way down, but it will just be over night and then leveled again.

In Florida you may not have these kinds of issues, but only you know the weather conditions and environmental threats that may cause unwanted damage if the slides are left out. It takes only a few minutes to clear the path the slides take to retract, and takes only a few seconds to push the button. I don't see why you wouldn't retract them and have peace of mind everything is buttoned up while you are not there.

Go to Harbor Freight and get yourself either a rubber mallet or a dead-blow hammer (plastic coated hammer with a hollow head filled with shot). Bang on your jacks if you think they're filled with ice.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Your not there - pull the slides in. The camper is better sealed with them in than out.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I think it really is a matter of your own personal preference and comfort level what you do. I don't think leaving the slides in, or leaving them out makes any difference.

As stated above, birds, wind, UV damage, falling debris from trees, acid rain, excessive weather conditions, sand blowing in the wind if you are in a sandy area, of course, all of these things are good reasons to pull the slides in, especially if you are not physically not with the camper for an extended period of time.

Personally, when actually using the camper, the slides are out. When not actually using the camper, the slides are in.

I finished my "winterizing" on my 5er just this morning. The water lines and refrigerator were all done Saturday. This morning I removed all the food items and everything that was wet.

We still use the camper through out winter at home. We will continue to sleep in it every night for quite a while. But not tonight.

This morning, after getting all the liquids out of the camper, I pulled the slides in. Why? Because we expecting snow to start in just a few hours and run till after midnight tonight. Why the slides?

Well, I don't want an inch or a foot of snow on top of the open slides, eventually turning into ice. In the event I need to pull the slides in, like... bug out in a hurry, I know the slides are clean, ready to go.

Once the snow passes, I'll extend them again, and will be sleeping in it again.

And an fyi, last winter was the first winter we had with our new 5er. Ours has the Lippert 6 point leveling system. Last winter we were preparing for our winter Christmas trek to South Carolina and the jacks were so frozen, they all went into "error" and I could never get them out. In the Spring, I took the 5er back to my dealership and they had to physically, with a wrench, retract 2 of the jacks that errored because they were jammed up with ice earlier and screwed up. So, while the snow and ice are falling, my 5er jacks are all retracted. yea, it looks funny with the nose all the way down, but it will just be over night and then leveled again.

In Florida you may not have these kinds of issues, but only you know the weather conditions and environmental threats that may cause unwanted damage if the slides are left out. It takes only a few minutes to clear the path the slides take to retract, and takes only a few seconds to push the button. I don't see why you wouldn't retract them and have peace of mind everything is buttoned up while you are not there.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I winter in SoCal, there are several year round RV's that people only stay in 1/2 the year. EVERY one leave their slides out.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I have to add to the above. If it were me, when not there, I'd put the slides in. For a couple of reasons. You'll keep debri off the slide roofs and not have to worry about what's up there when bringing them back in. If you have slide awnings, you don't have to worry about a bad windstorm coming up and damaging them. We keep ours parked at out house and may leave the slides out for a couple of weeks because we're going in and out, but since we're there, we bring the slides in if a bad rainstorm or windstorm is expected.
As with any mechanical part, using it is important to ensure it works correctly.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
You may not have this problem but I normally pull mine in when parked at my house due the flying critters called birds. They like to nest in the space under the slides. Also pull them in for for reasons stated above, less chance of storm related issues. No reason to keep them open.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Dick_B wrote:
Just my $.03 but I say leave them out. I am in the process of replacing the gear motor of my only slide which will probably run around $1K. The more one uses the slide mechanisms the more likely they are to fail.

I find lack of use harder on mechanical devices than moderate use.

To the original question: There is no definitive answer. If we are going to be gone for more than a week or two, we usually pull them in.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
I live in FL and have my rig at the house and I keep mine in.
While not in use, due to the varying weather conditions as well as the sun/uv damage that occurs in FL, I'd keep the slide closed while away for extended periods.
Keeping them closed will protect all the seals from uv damage. The slide will be less prone to a water leak should one develop when its closed.
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
There's no definitive answer so do what makes you comfortable. Personally, I'd put the slides in when not there based on the idea that if bad storms hit, it's less likely to have a problem with any water intrusion.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Look at all the RV's that are lived in full-time.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
I would pull them in. You need to exercise the motors and bearings ocasionally and you would unnecessarily be exposing the seals ans wipes to UV rays.

Also if the slides are out I feel it is mor vunerable in a storm.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

USAFBILL
Explorer
Explorer
If it is going to be in Florida I would pull my slides in..Weather conditions, fires etc may cause it have to be moved in a hurry and if the slides are in then it could be quickly moved..Just my opinion and that would make me sleep better at night.
2003 Cougar 285EFS
2000 Chev 2500 Ex Cab

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Just my $.03 but I say leave them out. I am in the process of replacing the gear motor of my only slide which will probably run around $1K. The more one uses the slide mechanisms the more likely they are to fail.
After reading the other posts am I allowed to change my answer?
Somehow I had in mind that the poster would be moving the slides every week which prompted the original response.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

wrgrs50s
Explorer
Explorer
Some they do,some they dont,and some they just dont care. That;s probably a short summary of the answers you will get...

Actually, I always leave mine out, but it's because it's parked at my house and I go in and out fairly frequent. If I were leaving it elsewhere, I would leave them in.
Walter and Janie Rogers
2012 Sundance 277RL
TV 2006 Silverado 2500 6.0