cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Today is Veterans Day and Remembrance Day

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
We here in Canada and the United States are able to enjoy freedom and our RV lifestyle each day because of all The Veterans that fought and endangered their own life! Thank You and letโ€™s honor these Veterans and Heroes today on Veterans Day!
2010 Suncruiser
4 REPLIES 4

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure why, but it seems many of the members of my extended family have served in the US military over several generations. I'm not sure why, it's just kind of strange.

I served in the US Army (1982-1988 - Granada was the big event then)
My dad served in the US Army, WW2 and the Korean war
My daughter served in the US Navy during the Gulf War crisis on the USS Eisenhower.
My daughter's husband also served during that time in the Navy on the USS Eisenhower. That's how they met.

My father had 5 brothers and 2 sisters. Of the 6 boys, 5 of them served in the Navy and US Army (WW2)

Of the 2 sisters (my aunts), both of their husbands served, one in the Air Force, the other in the Army, (WW2)

My sister served in the US Army (Vietnam era) and also married in the Army to another US Army soldier (Vietnam era) (my brother-in-law).

My other sister's (significant "other") is a US Army Vietnam vet.

I have first cousins on my dads side that served in the Air Force, Navy, and Army.

On my wife's side of the family, well ... she married me and both our children were born at DeWitt Army Hospital on Fort Belvoir, Virginia.

My wife's dad was a US Marine (Vietnam era).
My wife's oldest brother was US Navy.
Her younger brother was US Coast Guard.
She has a niece and her husband that is currently Air Force.

And I'd like to add a couple more "honorable mentions," my mother's brother. My mother is first generation German, married my dad after WW2 ended. Her brother served in the German Army during WW2 but was wounded by a mortar shell. Fortunately, there was a tree blocking his body, but his arm and leg were in front of the tree when the mortar went off, blasting him unconscious.

When he woke up, he was a Prisoner of War, caught by the US Army. He was given medical treatment and then shipped to the US where he spent the duration of WW2 as a prisoner of war at Camp Chase, near Columbus, Ohio: More info, click here. He learned to speak English and when the war was over, returned to Germany. He married, eventually had a son, and lived a peaceful and quiet life, and finally retired in pharmaceuticals. (Borg Warner). He died in the late 1980's.

Also,
My mother's sister (who was first generation German also), married a friend of my Dad. He was Polish, serving as an aleye to the US in the Polish Army serving beside my dad. My mother's sister and husband eventually migrated to Warren, Ohio and became US citizens.

Koodos to all of them. As far as I know, no one in my family, close family members or somewhat distant, died while serving. Everyone returned to civilian life eventually.

I believe that every day should be VETERANS DAY..

It seams like we all too often forget why we have the things we have.
It is because of all those courageous men and woman who fought so hard for YOU and ME...

Some made the ultimate Sacrifice, Some didn't, but they are all equal.. man, woman, black, white, whatever..

** Thank You to ALL who has served, or are still serving.. **
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Amen to that.
My father served in WW2, a selfless act I very deeply respect him for. He was one of the lucky ones that came home intact.
He flew navigator on the bomber planes.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
My flag flies 24/7/365 lighted at night to honor those who served and to honor our country.