cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I Need a little Tank help ...

atexintx
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new to any type of RVing and just bought my used Heartland several wks ago. I won't be full time until early Spring and had concerns about my tanks.. I think the 3 tanks are 1/3 full and I have NO idea what the dealership did to winterize the trailer - probably nothing. The brakes were shot and I had to replace them by putting on new axels. Brake parts for the 2K lb current axel were not readily available so I opted to go with new 3.5K lb axels. At any rate, temperatures will be in the low 20s at times and I won't be pulling the trailer except for short hauls. I have never used the toilet or any water on the trailer. What should I do to winterize. Keep in mind, I'm new to all this. I don't know the lingo. I don't have any experience. Should I call around and have someone winterize it for me? Thx
3 REPLIES 3

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, get a mobile RV tech to do it for you and teach you how to do it and so it soon if you don't think the dealer did it. You will have to know how to Dewinterize. While he is there he can walk you thru all the systems and explain how they work.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
and don,t trust what those meters say about full,,half full .there not right most of them don,t function properly.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Look for traces of redish-pink color stains around the sink drain, shower drain, or in the bottom of the toilet. If you see any traces of red liquid stuff that might have dried up, that would be RV antifreeze, which means your line have been winterized.

You can also turn the on-board water pump on (with fresh water tank empty). If the lines have been winterized with RV antifreeze, there is probably still enough in the lines that the pump will push a little air and you should see some pink fluid, kind of spit or drip from the faucet. If so, it's definitely been winterized.

Basically, look over the faucets, outlets and such and see if there are any traces of the pink-stuff.

About the tanks. All you can do is drain them, or dump them. Once empty, you are pretty much done with the back, grey, and fresh water tanks.

Also, if you see any redish or pink stuff flow from the grey or back tank, that's a really good indicator the lines are winterized.

Check your water heater. Remove the drain plug (some are just a plug, and some are anode rods), either way, remove it and make sure the tank is empty. If it is empty, that's another good indicator it's been winterized.