Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

winterizing

huskyfan68
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to winterize new camper since temp is dropping in NJ-
I drained all lines + water heater- I then hooked my compressor up to city water inlet- With it connected with at least 30PSI- I never felt or heard any air coming out of the faucets- Is this normal? Opened all the taps and nothing- So I am wondering if everything is out....
12 REPLIES 12

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
DrewE wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
JimK-NY wrote:
drsteve wrote:
Antifreeze is so much easier...

Yup, and you are less likely to leave water behind and have an expensive repair. Don't forget, even if you are successful in blowing out the lines, you need to add antifreeze to the pump and to the drains.

Agree. IF you use your freshwater pump you need to get pink in it. That is why after the walkthrough, and first time winterizing. I don't use the fresh tank, or pump.

Running the pump dry for a couple minutes is sufficient to winterize it--or at least that has yet to fail me. RV water pumps can be run dry without harm, though I wouldn't suggest doing so for hours and hours.

Cool. Good to know.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
JimK-NY wrote:
drsteve wrote:

Yup, and you are less likely to leave water behind and have an expensive repair. Don't forget, even if you are successful in blowing out the lines, you need to add antifreeze to the pump and to the drains.

Agree. IF you use your freshwater pump you need to get pink in it. That is why after the walkthrough, and first time winterizing. I don't use the fresh tank, or pump.

Running the pump dry for a couple minutes is sufficient to winterize it--or at least that has yet to fail me. RV water pumps can be run dry without harm, though I wouldn't suggest doing so for hours and hours.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
JimK-NY wrote:
drsteve wrote:

Pink is not easier for all. it isn't for me. My pump has no winterizing kit, and you can't get to it to unhook the hose from the tank, and hook up one to the pink bottle. So after the first time having to put enough in the fresh tank for it to be picked up. I now only use air. Only take a few minutes, and you don't have to bypass the water heater. Which on my TT is also hard to get to.
35 PIS at the city water inlet, Go to each faucet in turn. let it blow until no more mist comes out, Pour a little pink in the traps, and on tolite seal, and you are done. Can winterize with about 1/2 gal of antifreeze.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
drsteve wrote:

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Did you flip the valve from your internal pump to city water hookup?

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
I once saw someone hook up the air hose to the Black tank flush... Just saying
Proud father of a US Marine

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
You ought to hear the air coming out somewhere, even if it is going into the tank. Iโ€™d winterize with antifreeze, like today, since temps may hit single digits in parts on NJ tonight.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
Close low point drains. Bypass WH. Close all but one faucet. Close that faucet and move to the next one open/close and so on.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

cooldavidt
Explorer
Explorer
The air going into your tank will pressurize it and hence backward up the lines to your various outlets(don't forget the outside shower!).

When I do my air blowing in the fall I only open one outlet point at a time. I used 25 psi. I can feel the air come out. So I do not have the tank valves open at the same time as the kitchen faucet for example. I do the tanks last.

I think you will be safe with this approach.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
With the low point drains open the air went out them.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
It's possible the air is going into the tank. Hook air directly to the water pump outlet line - or any of the faucets- and make sure the WH is on bypass.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman