Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Dirt
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/19 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fact is carpet is filthy. I don't care if you vacuum it every 2 hours, and shampoo it every day. It is just filthy. You can't get it clean. It may look clean, but it is not. I would not have a camper with carpet, and I will not have carpet in my house. tile, and hardwoods are so much easier to keep clean it is just unreal.

Also. for you folks with allergies. You really think that filthy carpet is helping you? Nope, it is not. My son had / has allergies. Had to take a shot every week. We pulled the carpet up, got the hardwoods refinished, and soon after. he was able to stop taking his shots.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/19 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the added insulation that carpet on the floor provides in my Class A. My feet get cold easily. That said, I never vacuum it. I only shampoo it about once every three weeks with hot water and no soap.

Using two exterior floor mats, one with brushes and one with felt helps keep a lot of dirt out of the MH to start with. RV's see a LOT of in/out traffic in a very confined space. Combining that with cooking/washing smoke/vapors is a recipe for rapid filth accumulation no matter what the floor surface. In short, if you use it regularly, RV's get dirty real quick.

I'm looking for a deal on some quality washable, easily removable carpet pads to mount on my kwikee stairs for next season.

Chum lee

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/19 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Each to their own, had wood floors wouldn't have them again. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/19 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

I got rid of abouit 1/3 of my carpet this summer.. another 1/3 is scheduled (Save for the slide out flap) Not sure if I'll do the bedroom

Washable Throw Rugs NICE.. Nailed down carpet NOT NICE (Personal opinion)

Harddood LOVELY

Yep, throw rugs and carpet runners when it's cold. Daily or twice daily sweeping in warm weather.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/19 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeti plus wrote:

We bought an Astro turf entry mat when we had a pop up. That got moved to the trailer and we bought another for the camper. Floors look not too dirty, but I dump the Astro turf mat about once a day. Forgot a few days when we were camped at a sandy place. I think I had enough to fill a sand box. That captures it near the door, so I hear you about sweeping.
We have throw rugs we use for warmth underfoot, and they can be washed.
Brian

We have the AstroTurf too. Best thing I’ve found. Been thinking about adding another to have one at the top and bottom of the stairs.

John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

JAC1982

Brighton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/19 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a Roomba at home and it gets filled up with dust/dirt and dog hair every day. I'm glad our carpet in our living room is a dark color so it doesn't show as much stuff. But we plan on replacing it and the wood floors with tile. The wood we have is easily scratched (not good with 3 dogs) and dust and stuff gets into the cracks between the boards. Tile can be easily steam cleaned.

In the camper we use cheap throw runners from Costco at both the entrances and they do help with what gets tracked in.

2017 Keystone Impact 351
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch

2019 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn
2016 Ford Explorer Sport 3.5 Eco-Boost
2015 Polaris RZR 900S

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/19 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a comment on wood vs tile. My dog gets so much dirt and grime in the grout. Impossible to clean. I steam clean the tile, but have to scrub the grout once a year. Best to have no grout and place the times up to one another. Our grout is light in color so it shows all the dirt.

just saying...

pasusan

Northernmost PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/19 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I may have missed it... But - anyone take their shoes off going into their house and their RV? We always have and that's why our floors are clean. A small hassle, but we feel good about it.

"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben
2004 Roadtrek 170 for quick getaways
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub for longer trips
Trip Pics

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/19 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nope, my house is to be lived in and having to take my shoes off when I come in and put them back when I go out is too much of a hassle to live with.

I guess I'm just not as obsessive over a spotless house as everyone else. Shoot, I've heard of people that wash towels after just a couple uses. Go figure.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/19 08:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have carpet in my house or camper. I can't imagine having it on the camper, that would be awful. It's so much easier to just walk in without having to take off your shoes every time and then just sweep up the dirt if you need to.

The house I live in had the same carpet in it for 40 years. My god was that stuff awful when we hauled it out. It had so much dirt in it that even fairly small rolls of it were heavy to carry. Under the carpet was hardwood floors. I had them redone and I'm sooooo much happier in this house now. It made the 65 year old stinky old house into a much better living space.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS