Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Strange house battery issue
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

 > Strange house battery issue

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Octaneforce

Long island

Full Member

Joined: 04/26/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/11/19 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My rig is a 1993 fleetwood 30ft chevy class a.

So i think i need a little education before i can properly explain whats happening, but I’ll try. When plugged in, all my 12v powered items are struggling as if the house batteries are dead. The furnace blows slowly and doesnt light, the hot water heater doesnt light, the lights in the cieling are dim, etc.

So i guess my question is, why arent the batteries charging? How are the house batteries “tendered”?

If i shut off the house batteries while its plugged in, everything gets even more weak. Its like im not getting enough voltage to my 12v appliances. The 115v outlets are fine. Im not sure where to start.


1993 fleetwood coronado 30’ class a chuggin along with a tbi 454
An On demand hot water heater was the best thing i ever did

MountainAir05

New Mexico

Senior Member

Joined: 01/27/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/11/19 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like your converter is shot. Can not help you on where it located, but it might be close to your power cord when it comes in to the RV.

Looking Online it shows some were next to the heater inlet behind a door.

rk911

Wheaton IL

Senior Member

Joined: 05/30/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/11/19 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the power converter/charger does two things simultaneously while plugged into shore power or when the genny is running:

- it charges the house battery (or batteries). it usually does not charge the chassis (starting battery)
- it converts 120vac to 12vdc and powers your 12vdc appliances. lights, rv fridge, etc.

it sounds like one of two things are wrong.

- there should be two circuit breakers on the converter. one or both may have tripped. if so your batteries will not be charged. that could explain what you’re experiencing.

- the converter is kaput and should be replaced.

- disconnect from shore power and don’t run the genny. are your lights still dim? if yes then using a battery hydrometer check the state of charge in each cell of each battery. i’ll bet the charge is low. if so disconnect the cables from each battery and using a standard automotive battery charger charge them overnight. reconnect the batteries and while still disconnected from shore power and the genny off see if your lights and other 12v stuff is normal.

- if you’re handy and can use a multimeter check the voltage coming IN to the converter (should be ~120vav). then check the output voltage (should be 12vdc)

betcha your converter is dead.

good luck.


Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
_________________________________
2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
'46 Willys CJ2A
'03 Jeep Wrangler TJ
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 12/18/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/11/19 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make and model of converter?

Use a volt meter to check voltage under load.

How old are the batteries?

How long to you charge them before a trip?

Have you ever equalized the battery bank?


Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Flute Man

Payson, Arizona

Full Member

Joined: 03/21/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/11/19 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bad batteries can cause some strange symptoms. If I were you, I would check them first.
Like said above, a voltmeter is needed to do a proper diagnosis. Maybe you can get an electrical person to help you.

* This post was edited 11/12/19 06:40am by Flute Man *


Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
[email protected]
602-321-8141
Full-timer

Gjac

Milford, CT

Senior Member

Joined: 08/16/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/11/19 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Start with the basics first what does the 120v outlet read where you plug in? Plug in MH what is the output of your converter? Should be 13 plus volts or better. Next check the voltage across the pos and neg terminals of your battery, what does it read? Unplug MH and check voltage again the following day what does it read? Post these readings and you will find your problem.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

Senior Member

Joined: 02/25/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/11/19 08:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You would have a 63XX Magtek converter and it's shot by now. I suggest you get a new PDI9260 converter from Bestconverter.com. They will also have videos on how to change it out. The new one will have multiple stages and work better than the old one ever did!
Unless your battery(s) are fairly new, plan on replacing them too as the discharged condition will have taken its toll on them.


Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

down home

south

Senior Member

Joined: 06/01/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/11/19 08:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check the batteries first. Bad batteries with dead cells will quite often not take any charge. Dead cells will bubble and boil but that is it. One bad battery in series will keep the others from working acting as a wall between it and the others.It or they may have some charge but not enough to function.
If these are flooded batteries, how long since you checked the electrolite level. You may have essentially bone dry batteries.

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

Senior Member

Joined: 11/05/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/12/19 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Octaneforce wrote:


So i guess my question is, why arent the batteries charging? How are the house batteries “tendered”?


When you are not plugged in, the batteries are NOT "tendered"; not charging at all. Batteries left completely discharged will not last long.

One of two things: Batteries have gone bad....OR....the charger has failed. You really should get a digital multi-meter. Around $10 at Harbor Freight.


'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Octaneforce

Long island

Full Member

Joined: 04/26/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/21/19 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

Heres my current converter. It was under the oven/kitchen area as mentioned (thanks!). I dont think its original.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

 > Strange house battery issue
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS