Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: 20 year old hoses
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/19 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow! That rig looks, . . . . . reeeeallly nice!

Chum lee

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/19 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A beautiful rig for sure!!! I would change at least the radiator hoses. They go bad from the inside out. Looking and squeezing is not a reliable assessment.

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

winniman

muskoka Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/19 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I realize my rv is different, but when I changed my rad, we decided to order a new cross over metal rad pipe, as it was pretty rusty. Only two in North America existed. It cost me almost $900 CDN to buy it, and it took almost a week to get here to Ontario. Im not saying yours has this unicorn of a rad pipe, but when they are almost 20 years old, the parts are not always readily available. A good assessment of the entire engine bay is always good preventive maintenance. Its not something you want to do on the side of the road. We also changed my tranny cooling lines and rad lines. Maybe they didn't all need done, and I could have gotten away with it. After a two month, 6000 mile trip, Im happy to report no problems.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/19 06:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Roland,

The coach is old and very nice, it has been stored inside and all, but let me tell you about the space suit problem....

After the Mercury and Gemini programs, the suits were obsoleted.
So, NASA offered them to museums with the case that they be kept in controlled cabinets. They were, but a couple of years ago, conservators and curators saw that they were coming apart and panicked. They believed that their "controlled atmosphere" just might not be. It was not that. Investigation revealed that the adhesives that they used were aging out. There was nothing that could be done. It turns out to be the case with most all elastomers (rubber stuff). If just ages out without any help from the outside at all.

This is true of lots of stuff like tires and belts and brake hoses and window seals. Trust me, with a coach the age of mine, it has taken a toll.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Ken C

Rapid City, SD, formerly SF Bay Area, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/19 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ro646a wrote:

My 20 year old American Dream diesel pusher still has all the original cooling and hydraulic hoses. It has been stored indoors all its life and only has 30,000 miles on it, and is in excellent condition (still looks new). The hoses that I can see all look and feel good. Are they due to fail?

On our 2 prior coaches, the first we only owned for 4 years and I wasn't concerned about the hoses. Our second one we owned for 15 years and I changed all of the engine coolant hoses at approx 60K miles. Although they appeared OK, it was time to change the coolant so I bought new hoses at NAPA and changed them including the thermostat Never had an issue that left me at the side of the road needing to be towed.

Ken
2018 Newmar Dutchstar
Spartan K2
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.