cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane Usage 2500 Watt Onan

Boondocking2019
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new Adventurer Camper with a 2500 Onan onboard Generator and enquiring if others with experience with this Generator find it uses a lot of Propane. I have read itโ€™s usage is around 3/4 gal per hour of use?
20 REPLIES 20

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Check the vent hole on your propane regulator again. On my trailer I would smell propane from time to time when I walked near the front. But spraying soapy water around all the fittings never produced a bubble. Then one day I dipped a finger in the soapy water and covered the downward facing vent of the regulator and the bubbles started.

As far as leaking through the hoses or leaking because the tank valve is not fully open; I would think that your soapy solution would identify that.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
For me any heavy object behind rear axle is no-no.
Why not put front platform? I carry my big Honda on front hitch and not only that solves storage issue, but helps in COG, what my camper has behind the axle.

Not everyone has that problem,Kayteg..Just a plain old ATV cargo carrier will work in the rear for those of us that do not have monster truck campers..LOL..I am preferring something on the Lance bumper though.

In your case,I see why you do it that way..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
For me any heavy object behind rear axle is no-no.
Why not put front platform? I carry my big Honda on front hitch and not only that solves storage issue, but helps in COG, what my camper has behind the axle.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
The Adventurer 89RBS is probably the only truck camper with a slide I would consider because of the length and weight..We looked at an 89RB when we were traveling and liked the fit and finish..

My point is,the bumper on the 89RBS was huge and it appeared it was large enough for a propane tank holder to carry atleast one extra propane tank making it equal(sorta) to two 7 gallon tanks(Vs 3 five gallon tanks) used on trailers etc..That would make running the generator for the AC way more non problematic..

Like you,when taking my UTV and trailer,bringing extra stuff just isn't an issue but without the trailer,room for stuff is an issue..The only place I saw on the 89RBS to put my Honda 2K in the TC, was in the bathroom because of the slide..

I am considering a small platform on my bumper to carry my generator or an extra propane tank in the wintermonths..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Boondocking2019
Explorer
Explorer
broark01 wrote:
I have the 2500 Cummings (Onan) LP generator. Found myself in Georgia in a Walmart parking lot one particularly hot/humid evening. Started the generator and turned on AC. By the next morning (about 10 hours later) it had sucked most of a 30 lb tank (7 gal) dry and the generator died because the tanks was so cold that it had frosted up on the outside. Switched over to the other tank, finished breakfast and hit the road. Compared to a gasoline powered (Honda), not a great choice for efficiency or even quietness but it is handier than heck.

If I was really going to boon-dock for an extended period of time, I would load up my Honda EU2000.

As I mentioned earlier I still have my Portable Yamaha 2000 kw Gas Generator. For extended boondocking with my UTV the Portable Generator can be carried in the Cargo Trailer. Another option is a spare Propane Tank to carry in the Cargo Trailer, equals less weight and fuel.

broark01
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 2500 Cummings (Onan) LP generator. Found myself in Georgia in a Walmart parking lot one particularly hot/humid evening. Started the generator and turned on AC. By the next morning (about 10 hours later) it had sucked most of a 30 lb tank (7 gal) dry and the generator died because the tanks was so cold that it had frosted up on the outside. Switched over to the other tank, finished breakfast and hit the road. Compared to a gasoline powered (Honda), not a great choice for efficiency or even quietness but it is handier than heck.

If I was really going to boon-dock for an extended period of time, I would load up my Honda EU2000.

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Propane is great for keeping carb from gunking up. Problem for me is I need genny when I need heat (ski camping) this made it challenging to carry enough propane so I run genny on gas. 1 tank (1 gal) of gas in H2K will run 10-12 hours. Thatโ€™s plenty for a ski weekend.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 3600 onan in my new Motorhome. I run it while driving around for AC (15000 BTU). We will take the rig out out to dinner some times to exercise the engine and generator. I let generator run the whole time we are out, etc. The number that sticks in my head is 1 gallon per hour. Its really about .8 gal per hour but I can remember 16 gallons - 16 hours.

If I was to head to a boondock place I would still drag out my Predator 3500w inverter. Running my last truck camper with 9000btu I would burn around .2 gallons per hour (I can remember 2 gallon tank would last a 10-11 hour night in a hot truck stop)

another thing I never thought about is the cost of propane. if you find a good dealer take care of them. one place charges $2.50 per gallon, but everyone else is from $3.79 - $3.99. that swing is $24.00 different per 16 gallons.
1 gallon propane = 91500 BTU
1 gallon gasoline = 114000 BTU
= gasoline has 25% more BTU per gallon
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Joe417 wrote:
Recently took a 2 week trip.
Kept the fridge on gas about 4 days before, 14 days traveling, and 2 days after.
Ran the generator 4 hours one day and 2 hours another day for AC. Also ran it 10 or 15 minutes 4 times for microwave use.
Ran the water heater through a heating cycle I think about 8 times.
Then, on the way home it turned cold and used the furnace 2 nights in about 35 degree temps.

That was on a 20 pound tank and it still has a pound or two in it.

Could also be the tank wasn't filled to capacity when filled.

I weigh my tanks after filling. The 30# tanks weigh 55# when full and one 20# weighs 37# and the other 39#.
I also have one tank with a gauge and find it inaccurate.

Thats pretty darn good usage for only a 20 lb. tank? I personally never got that much usage with a 20lb.and I checked for leaks too. LOl

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
Recently took a 2 week trip.
Kept the fridge on gas about 4 days before, 14 days traveling, and 2 days after.
Ran the generator 4 hours one day and 2 hours another day for AC. Also ran it 10 or 15 minutes 4 times for microwave use.
Ran the water heater through a heating cycle I think about 8 times.
Then, on the way home it turned cold and used the furnace 2 nights in about 35 degree temps.

That was on a 20 pound tank and it still has a pound or two in it.

Could also be the tank wasn't filled to capacity when filled.

I weigh my tanks after filling. The 30# tanks weigh 55# when full and one 20# weighs 37# and the other 39#.
I also have one tank with a gauge and find it inaccurate.
Joe & Evelyn

Boondocking2019
Explorer
Explorer
ticki2 wrote:
I have read and experienced myself that if the tank valve is not fully opened to tight that I get a slight gas smell ( leak ) . Worth checking . I have had water gate valves do the same thing .

Thatโ€™s a possibility as I usually open valve to full stop (tight stop open) and Iโ€™ll apply a practice of opening valve all the way. Good point that is possibly why the tank bled off after 6 weeks of non use. Thanks for the feedback.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
I have read and experienced myself that if the tank valve is not fully opened to tight that I get a slight gas smell ( leak ) . Worth checking . I have had water gate valves do the same thing .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Boondocking2019
Explorer
Explorer
The tank meter indicated red and the 5 gal tank was empty.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Propane is having very strong odor, se even small bubbling you can smell around.
But than the hoses let for small gas migration, so unless you shut the propane at cylinder, you will lose it eventually.
For our camper, where I use WH for shower every day, we cook and have refrigerator on propane about 50% of the time, 7.5 gallons cylinder last for a month +
Than propane generator usage is like empty TC weigh listing.
Never accurate.