Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Fulltimer freeze concerns
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Class A Fulltimer freeze concerns

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
HighwayJunky

Kissimmee

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/19 06:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, I have a Late model Class A which we plan to use as our home. With winter coming I plan to prevent frozen pipes by using our furnace to heat the unit. I understand that with insulated bays I need not worry about freezing. I do not plan on being in a freeze zone for any long periods of time but accidents do happen.

Do I need to be concerned about our unit and plan?

2017 Newmar Ventana LE Diesel Pusher
2012 Fiat Pop Toad
One wife
No pets
No complaints
No Worries (except keeping wife happy!!)
Fulltime jobhttps://www.rv.net/SharedContent/cfb/images/rolleyes.gif

Ed C

Cape Cod, MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/19 06:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Newmars are well insulated; as long as you use your furnace you should have no problems.

Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

Flute Man

Payson, Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/19 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never have had frozen water lines. If I am in a freezing area for any great period I put a heat tape on the waterline from the spigot up to the motorhome.You may call me if you have any questions. Be happy to share with you.

Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
[email protected]
602-321-8141
Full-timer

Two Jayhawks

Lenexa Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/19 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's good to keep a watchful eye on low temps. I'll also reiterate that Newmar's are so well insulated it shouldn't be an issue. For your own piece of mind why not get a wireless thermometer, place in basement, & you can see for yourself how warm it is staying.

Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 2014 Ford Edge
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/19 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Within the motorhome, there shouldn't be problems, as others have said.

You do need to disconnect the water supply hose in freezing weather lest the water spigot and the water inlet freeze and split. (Most hoses are flexible enough to withstand freezing water in the hose proper, but brass and plastic fittings have rather less give.) There are heated hoses etc. to work around this, but I don't think they'd be worth it for you when you won't be spending a good deal of time in freezing conditions.

It wouldn't hurt to stow the sewer hose as well in freezing conditions.

kdk

usa

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/19 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If really want to be safe, go to tractor supply and buy a freeze cube. They plug in a electrical socket and at 35 degrees they will turn on a heater and off at and 45 degrees. Used for animal water tanks. Go to walmart and purchase a 400 watt personal heater. Put this in your wet bay and worries are over.

06 Holiday Rambler Ambassador
2015 Wrangler Sahara 4 door

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/19 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At night you might not run the furnace enough to keep the bays warm. Getting a remote thermometer is great advice and you can adjust you bay heat as necessary. A couple of light bulbs, small personal heater(s), heat mats, freeze cubes can all be added as necessary to keep everything underneath warm. Much depends upon "how cold and how long". We long term in very cold weather at times without issue but it does take some interaction on your part.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/19 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How cold is cold? While in use most any RV is good to about 25. If yours is well made as said above you are probably fine to at least 20 and maybe lower.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

AllegroD

Outdare

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/19 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use a 200w heater with large electric extension cable, from entertainment bay and a TC-3 Cold Weather Thermo Cube Thermostatically Controlled Outlet (in the wet bay).

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/19 03:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't forget to protect the fridge. See the thread in full time called winter camping.

I use a thermocube on my fridge with a 60 watt light bulb. I also restrict the air flow by blocking some of the vents.

I use a 600 watt heater on a mechanical thermostat to keep the waste tanks unfrozen.

Replace the return air grill with twin window fans. I use a 2nd mechanical thermostat to operate the fans. They pressurize the duct work and keep the water lines from freezing up.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Class A Fulltimer freeze concerns
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS