cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stopping point/overnight camp between Ohio & Fort Wilderness

jabres
Explorer II
Explorer II
Leaving on New Years Eve, and heading all the way from Cincinnati, Ohio to Disney Fort Wilderness. Just shy of 1000 miles. Pulling 33' Travel trailer. Where would a good overnight campground stopping point be? Def want to get just south of Atlanta? or Maybe I could even make it to Valdosta?
Is that too far to expect to make it in a day traveling with two kids?

Was looking at Forsyth KOA (Forsyth Georgia) (reviews not the best but close to 75 right along route), or Atlanta South RV resort? Anyone stayed at either of these? Or have other suggestions?

I appreciate it! Also, welcome any recommendations on Fort Wilderness at Disney. Our first time there....
20 REPLIES 20

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
DownTheAvenue wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Stone Mountain, Atlanta GA. I drove it from the NW Chicago suburbs. Only stopping for food and gas. That's 14 hours. So from OH it shouldn't be too bad.
We stayed at the Forsyth KOA when coming home. It was a decent place, no complaints. Stone MTN is the better choice.

Stone Mountain is nice, but is on the other side of Atlanta from their route through town and through some of the worst traffic Atlanta has to offer. They could be well south of Atlanta by not taking this detour in the same time it would take just to get to Stone Mountain.

I went through on a Friday afternoon. And yes there is traffic but not what I see in Chicago expressways. I’ll take Atlanta Friday rush our over Chicago rush hour any day. And it’s only about 30-40 minutes out of the way, well worth the extra time!

You were very lucky, indeed. Usually from 4 to 6 PM it is over an hour and very often closer to 2 hours!

jabres
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dave in TN- perfect idea! I will use that method! thanks so much guys for all the info! its appreciated!

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Stone Mountain, Atlanta GA. I drove it from the NW Chicago suburbs. Only stopping for food and gas. That's 14 hours. So from OH it shouldn't be too bad.
We stayed at the Forsyth KOA when coming home. It was a decent place, no complaints. Stone MTN is the better choice.

Stone Mountain is nice, but is on the other side of Atlanta from their route through town and through some of the worst traffic Atlanta has to offer. They could be well south of Atlanta by not taking this detour in the same time it would take just to get to Stone Mountain.

I went through on a Friday afternoon. And yes there is traffic but not what I see in Chicago expressways. I’ll take Atlanta Friday rush our over Chicago rush hour any day. And it’s only about 30-40 minutes out of the way, well worth the extra time!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Dave in TN wrote:
jabres wrote:
Thanks guys! so many good suggestions....
However, will I need to make advance reservations for any of these overnight campgrounds south of atlanta for the evening of new years eve? or is there enough options that getting one night wont be a problem? thanks!

I have found that many campgrounds along I-75 catering to overnight guests will fill up as the evening progresses by folks without reservations simply stopping for the night, and many folks stop earlier than I like to. But in the afternoon there are lots of spots. Not wanting to stop that early, I often will prepare ahead of time a list of potential stopping places along my route, with their phone numbers. Then when I stop to fuel up mid to late afternoon, I'll see how the day has been going and decide about how much farther I want to get, and make a phone call to reserve a spot at that point. I hate to make a reservation days or weeks ahead not knowing how the traveling will go, but by the afternoon of that day I know how far I'll get and can usually get a spot reserved, whereas if I wait until 8 or 9 that evening to stop without a reservation, it's possible the campground will be full.

I agree with Dave in TN.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:

Dave_in_TN
Nomad
Nomad
jabres wrote:
However, will I need to make advance reservations for any of these overnight campgrounds south of atlanta for the evening of new years eve? or is there enough options that getting one night wont be a problem? thanks!

I have found that many campgrounds along I-75 catering to overnight guests will fill up as the evening progresses by folks without reservations simply stopping for the night, and many folks stop earlier than I like to. But in the afternoon there are lots of spots. Not wanting to stop that early, I often will prepare ahead of time a list of potential stopping places along my route, with their phone numbers. Then when I stop to fuel up mid to late afternoon, I'll see how the day has been going and decide about how much farther I want to get, and make a phone call to reserve a spot at that point. I hate to make a reservation days or weeks ahead not knowing how the traveling will go, but by the afternoon of that day I know how far I'll get and can usually get a spot reserved, whereas if I wait until 8 or 9 that evening to stop without a reservation, it's possible the campground will be full.

By the way, I like to use this map resource when planning out my list of potential stops.

https://www.epgsoft.com/CampgroundMap/
Dave & Christy / 5 Awesome Girls (28,26,24, 18 and 16)
2021 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
2019 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7

jabres
Explorer II
Explorer II

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Dave in TN wrote:
...the holiday week traffic...

That would be my main concern. I know I-95 is rough all that week between Christmas and New Years, I'm sure I-75 is the same. Stop and go traffic is tough with kids. If you had a Motorhome, maybe not so bad, but since they'll need potty breaks more often, that means getting off the Interstate or trying to pull over and get back into traffic.

I would plan on making it as far as you can, but check on campgrounds or stops earlier so you aren't scrambling if you can't get as far south as you want. New Years Day, traffic shouldn't be bad early in the morning.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
I was going to suggest Stone Mountain as well - if you decide to stay there, go to their website for directions around a very low overpass on the route that GPS will take you.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you can make it to Valdosta, River Park is a nice campground, right off the exit. Clean, and nice. Perfect for an overnight, and the have some big pull throughs.
My daughter in in college at Valdosta State, and we stay there when visiting.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me, I would prefer to get south of Atlanta the first night. Otherwise, you will either have to plan to get through Atlanta before 7 AM, or either be in the rush hour or be late enough to miss the rush (and then get to Disney way after dark). South of Atlanta, there are two state parks not far off the I-75, High Falls in Jackson and and Indian Springs in Flovilla. Also in Jackson is Forest Glen Estates RV Park. As already mentioned, there is a KOA in Forsyth. In Macon, is Lake Tobesofkee Park. Further south is Insterstate RV Park in Byron. Going further south there are many, many campgrounds.

jabres
Explorer II
Explorer II
thanks for all the advice on stops along 75! anyone know are these a must to get advance reservations for? or could i just wing it for being just one night?

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
jabres wrote:
I appreciate it! Also, welcome any recommendations on Fort Wilderness at Disney. Our first time there....

If you arrive early(before check-in time) just ask if spots are available, may get in early or even get an upgrade. There is an overflow area if they are not ready for you and you can park it then go on into the parks and come back later to go to site and setup. Transportation is available by bus both inside the fort area and out to all the parks. A boat is available to take you to the Magic Kingdom. If you want to drive to the parks; parking is free since you are staying on property.
Check out the fortfiends.net(it is spelled correctly)website lots of good info. There is also an app that gives pictures of all the sites and a commentary about it. if you want or need a golf cart reserve now there may not be any when you arrive. If you want to reserve one from the outside services you have to arrange to pick it up off property.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI