cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any 1st time pickup TC out there to give their thoughts

wantabe351
Explorer
Explorer
Ive camped in a tent since a child until back surgery had me needing a mattress, as it goes by a TT for a yr and then upgrade to a 5th wheel. After wearing that one out bought a Montana 3400L in 2011 and I enjoy camping with my wife, But when I want to goto a Nascar event or on a solo camping trip,I find that size of a RV is Too much..Now I've wanted to buy a used slide in TC to use for my solo adventures, Now for years dreamed of traveling with a TC but she has no desire to travel in anything that small, me it would be cool-I Think?? Here what Im asking has anyone with a larger RV bought a TC to use for ease of the trip or just be able to go where most cant go...I also travel out west to the Rockies every other or 3rd year for a month or 2...Explain your thought's on this the good and bad.....As for TC cost is a factor so used in the age of 2009 to 2012, watching for water damage price of 12 to 18K$....Ive got 2005 Dodge Dually with CTD,4.1gears and I modified the trans and truck to tow Heavy...Plus to pull my MC along with me would be the icing on my cake....Thanks
[purple]Rich & Andrea
[/purple] Semi-Retired
2022 Ram2500 6.4 CC

2019Keystone,Impact26v-TH,solarpower

,Lithium Batt.. all to take our 2012 Yamaha FJR along to ride..
18 REPLIES 18

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
We had an Artic Fox 990 and an Open range 30' 5th wheel and a Ram 3500 dually to move either.
the 5er stayed on a lot my brother and I own full time in the mountains of PA and our arctic fox 990 was our "traveling camper". we spend a lot of weekends in the 5er but the real vacation trips (outerbanks) was in the truck camper.

on a long trip trip this year we relieved that the truck camper is better for young people.

Are you ready to climb up around 36" than pull yourself into a shelf with 36" clearance to go to bed? (or to get stuff out of the forward cabinets, or to try to make the bed?) than when you roll over at night if you extend your arms they will bang into the ceiling and wake up the wife? (the getting out of bed in middle of night to use bathroom was a problem as well)
Than there is the going up around 48" of steps to get into the rig (if you have a model with basement).

Don't get me wrong, we loved our Arctic Fox but it was getting harder to use.

We were the type that never unloaded the camper, we either towed a Jeep Liberty (toad) so we could take the jeep out onto the beach at Ocracoke OBX, or I towed a trailer with a Motoguzzi motorcycle in it for transportation.
in fact the camper stayed loaded from March through November than I unloaded to put truck in garage for winter. (so its not like I really had a truck, I had a nice vehicle with a camper loaded on it)

than in late 2018 we moved 1000 miles south so we can't use the 5er anymore and needed to get rid of it (and its payments) but its hell to sell a camper you owe more than its worth, plus its age made it so banks don't want to finance it for new owners.

this fall we were looking at different campers and fell in love with, and purchased a sprinter Class C. I traded in the Arctic Fox, the Open range Plus the Ram 3500.
This sprinter has the 2 slides including a bed that sticks out in back so it has more living space than the truck camper. Plus its easier to get in and out of bed, it has a built in generator (but I will not give up my inverter generators for boondocking) and the V6 diesel gets 2 more MPG than my ram truck was getting with camper loaded.

I can still tow either my little box trailer with my Motoguzzi, or my Jeep liberty.

having spend several years with a truck camper we already are weight conscious and don't have a problem with the sprinter limited carrying capacity.

since my truck camper was always loaded in the truck, I don't miss having a truck because I really couldn't use my truck to haul anything with camper loaded. I just tow my motorcycle box trailer to store and can load anything that would have fit in bed of truck.

but there is those that live in areas where a truck camper lets them go camping off road, and you can never do that with the sprinter. Here on East coast there is nothing like that at least where we go.

so having owned a really nice truck and Arctic Fox 990, this is one couple that went another direction. we enjoyed the truck camper, but are looking forward to camping more in our new 24' Motor Home.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

Slymer
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 5er and a TC at the same time. Something to consider is the bedrails for the 5er hitch. I wasn't going to be taking them out each time I switched so I had to build a wooden platform around them to avoid damaging the bottom of the TC. It turned out to involve 10 pieces that had to be put it in each time I used the TC. A real pain, but doable. Raises the TC too obviously. We just have the TC now so no longer an issue.

wantabe351
Explorer
Explorer
I was hoping to keep the 5er as i use the TC, until we find which fits us the best and my dream of TC camping can be experienced..Ive talked about it for years and Im ready...Thank you all, for with your experiences I'll be able to show my wife that Im not crazy for wanting to camp in a smaller RV..For other reasons besides a dream!
[purple]Rich & Andrea
[/purple] Semi-Retired
2022 Ram2500 6.4 CC

2019Keystone,Impact26v-TH,solarpower

,Lithium Batt.. all to take our 2012 Yamaha FJR along to ride..

Boondocking2019
Explorer
Explorer
Same here, sold 5ver in August after 7 years of owning as it was a PITA to find a Campground or decent RV Park to accommodate 36’ RV plus Size of the long bed F350. All set up for Boondocking with TC plus we can pull our UTV Trailer into places we could never think of going with a 5th Wheel. TC opens up so much more opportunities. Adjustment, yes, but the Wife was 100% onboard. Funny I told her she’s limited to no more than 100 lbs of utensils, food, and clothing, that didn’t go over too well though.

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
One of the first years that I bought the Ford 7.3 Dually and Bigfoot 10.6 camper I took a solo trip by myself up the Pacific Northwest. I was fortunate enough to tie this into some business work and was able to space it over two weeks. I have to admit, I have some great memories of my solo adventure and I feel the truck camper was perfect for it!

I had set stops during the day to meet customers but only a tentative itinerary for my evening campsites. I mostly planned to use the Oregon rest stops (not along I5) which I had heard where nicer than most California campgrounds. I also found a few places off the road where I just pulled over and stayed the night.

My personal likes about solo experience in a camper...

1. Get to use MY truck! My 7.3 has all of the mods I need to make it comfortable and the power I want for a long day of driving.

2. Able to park just about anywhere a full size pickup can go. Critical for smaller towns that you just want to stop for lunch but can't seem to find 60' of continuous curb or to stop at the local grocery store that has a small parking lot.

3. Able to camp most places along the road. This came in handy where I managed to find several gem spots on the Highway 1 coast that you can pull off and crash for the night. These are areas that are actually off the road just enough to not be bothered by noise and lights while providing amazing views and sounds of the ocean.

4. Plenty of storage for one person. As a solo driver, minus the space needed for my products, I didn't need tons of storage. Just some clothes and food plus the laptop to do business.

My personal dislikes about my solo camper experience...

1. Dinette seating gets to be uncomfortable over time. Could be just the cushions we have but I find to be the very upright seating with no lumbar support made it difficult to sit at for long periods of time.

2. Possible to get stir crazy in bad weather with the limited space.

3. Showering limited by water and tank sizes.

4. Mattress is uncomfortable (something I need to fix...)

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 35' FW with two daughters which we enjoyed. They went out of town one weekend for a robotics competition and I snuck out to buy a used 4 year old Lance 815. I purchased it for solo trips as I was tired in making them in the back of my Grand Cherokee. Plus I was 4 wheelin at the time and needed a place to sleep when I hauled the jeep to the trails. My wife didn't wheel with me so couldn't get her to go on a trip but the teenage girls did. They finally wanted to just take a trip in the TC for a weekend where they stayed in a tent. Just a local trip 50 miles up the road but they enjoyed it. Then the daughters wanted to go on another one taking the kayaks to a nearby lake. Wife realized the TC wasn't that bad despite being small. Plus the girls were interested in horse so we weren't using the FW so I sold it will my wife realizing her trips would now be in a TC. I traveled mainly solor for the next two years until my oldest went to college and the youngest went started working. So then the wife decided to track a trip or two with me. Each time she went, she realized what I had known from camping in a TC as a kid. It was a different type of traveling where the entire journey was the adventure.

Now 10 years later, we wore out one truck and are about 2/3 through the second truck traveling around in the TC. Still on the same TC and it's worth more today than when I bought it. My wife loves it because of where we can go, always have everything with us. Last year to escape the heat, we headed north with no idea where we would end up. Turns out we made it all the way to Pictured Rocks National Seashore and then headed home when they called for snow.

Getting ready to retire next year and plan on making multi-month trips around the country. Neither wife nor I are looking at any thing other than TC.

So if you can afford it, go small and then try to convince your wife to take a trip of two with it. She may realize it isn't as bad as she thinks it would be.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

way2nutz
Explorer
Explorer
We did the same thing a few years back.

Had a large 5th wheel, plus quads and a boat. Finally stepped up and bought a Bigfoot 10.6 camper for the truck. Works great, get to take the boat or quads with us. But still had the 5th wheel for snow birding, or longer trips.

We sold the 5th wheel a couple of years ago when we bought a winter home in AZ, and now just have the camper. Love the maneuverability!
2007 BigFoot 25C10.5
2015 Silverado 3500 CC 8'box D/A
2015 Terrain Denali
2000 Bayliner 1950
2014 Camaro SS/RS
2007 Corvette
2010 Impala

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
time2retire wrote:
ardvark wrote:
DH is dear husband.

Got it. Coming from the boating world she was always referred to as "Admiral".

Hmmmm....I think I like that even better since DH was a Navy guy!:W
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

time2retire
Explorer
Explorer
ardvark wrote:
DH is dear husband.

Got it. Coming from the boating world she was always referred to as "Admiral".

ardvark
Explorer
Explorer
DH is dear husband.

time2retire
Explorer
Explorer
Alright, I give. what is a DH?

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
We are on our third 5th wheel and 2nd TC. Wife has no interest in the 2nd TC and has never travelled in it. I use it for fishing trips and dirt track races. Unfortunately I'm not using it often enough.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
We went from a 32' fiver for the same exact reasons back in 2013. Me, the wife, loves the TC. It's great for traveling. We recently bought a 21RBS to leave in NC at our leased site. The TT is certainly more comfortable with an extended stay but you just can't beat traveling in the TC. DH is now putting pressure on me to sell TC but I am dragging my feet. I enjoy what both has to offer.
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
We moved to TC from 40 Bus conversion and no regrets.
But that was when our boys left the nest and city ordinance in CA was chasing our bus from 1/2 acre lot we had.
The 12' long TC with single slide delivers all the comfort 2 of us and 3 of small dogs need, but lately, since our sons spread in 2500 mile circle, I am working on moving old camper interior into big Sprinter van.
Less comfort for sleeping, but more comfort for driving, while making 22 mpg gives us over 500 miles tank range.
Good to have the choices.