cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

IOTA Circuit breaker Box

DIVE2XS
Explorer
Explorer
I have a iota circuit breaker Box in my 2003 Holiday Rambler presidential TT. I am looking to replace the single 20 amp breaker for a double 20th breaker.
I am looking for information on:
1. Where to find a manual on this circuit breaker Box.
2. Where to find a Double 20 amp breaker that will fit into the single breaker slot.
Thanks
2001 Suburban,8.1L engine, 4.10 rear end
2003 Holiday Rambler Presidental 32'
2 Honda 2000i generators
100 watt solar
Podogy Controler
30 REPLIES 30

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have a 20a breaker on the main panel for the inverter's output, but what is the circuit in the RV that the new breaker protects, and what is on that circuit? How does that circuit's wire (12AWG yellow supposed to be) also wire to that same new 20a breaker?

Would the breaker when off be able to stop inverter power from getting to that circuit? Not like a Main and a Branch?

Some folks use a sub- panel with circuits on it to run from the inverter. That way they can leave the converter, etc, on the main panel and not have that on the inverter.

The 120v wire from inverter output to the breaker has a ground wire (bare copper) in it. That ground wire should go to the RV frame, same as the 30a Main breaker's wire does. Neutral goes to the N buss, Hot to the breaker.

I have a 2000w PSW and a 300w MSW inverter. Both show two yellows (proper) with the three light tester in their 120v receptacles.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Went back quickly through posts and didn't find make and model of inverter.
Many inverters have a floating neutral. The instructions should show where to connect the ground to the neutral.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

DIVE2XS
Explorer
Explorer
Well...I installed the inverter the other weekend and tested it after isolating it from shore power with a recepticle plug tester. It showed "open ground".
I must say that I have been relying on my friend for help who has experience installing a 3K inverter in his Motorhome and who has designed and installed 4 solar panel systems.
We must have overlooked something. The system on shore power with the inverter isolated tests OK and works just fine.
We did replace the single 20 amp breaker with a double 20 amp breaker. Originally it was marked 20 amp air conditioner. Now 1 is connected to the original A/C and the other is dedicated for the inverter.
Perhaps the inverter is not grounded properly? How would I check that out?
My family and I are actually staying in the rig now... so I might be able to go over it.
Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated....thanks!
2 Honda 2000i generators
100 watt solar
Podogy Controler

kellertx5er
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
I asked about 50 or 30 amp service because you CANNOT add excess amp draw to a 30 amp box. 30 amp RV boxes are designed for the 30 amp load in the RV and are designed to split the loads to total 30 amp. If you are trying to run an extra 20 amp circuit and appliance you will overload and trip the Main 30 amp breaker in the Breaker box or the CG pedestal pole breaker. Not really dangerous as the breakers will do their job but just an annoyance. Doug

30A boxes are already overloaded. Try running a/c, water heater, refrigerator, lights and one good plug load at the same time.

A bigger issue to note about adding circuits is the NEC only allows five branch circuits from a 30A panel. This note only applies if you actually care what the NEC says.
Keller TX
'19 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L
'09 Outback Sydney 321FRL 5er
SUPPORT TEXAS STATE PARKS

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You should not backfeed the 120 volt system from an inverter!
This does not have any safeguards to prevent backfeeding into the power suppliers system.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
DIVE2XS wrote:
The 2nd 20 amp breaker is only used when I have isolated the shore power from the system to use the inverter. I just wanted to be able to use it during short periods such as staying overnight enroute to another location so I don't have to fire up the generator to support the medical devices and such for the night.

You don't need any more circuit breakers to do that. All you do is plug the shore cable into the inverter and shut off the converter. (with the fridge and WH on gas to reduce 120v load)

It is possible that you are trying to say that you want to put the converter on its own circuit breaker so it can be a switch to turn the converter on and off. That is if the converter now shares its breaker with the receptacles.

EDIT--Iota converters are mostly(all?) the plug in type, so just unplug it to turn it off.

Also most converters only need 15a breakers on 14 wire. Higher amp, non-PF corrected converters such as the PD 80 ampers do require 20a breakers and 12 wire.

To add to the confusion, I know my 2003 Komfort 5er (built in Oregon) had a "USA" and a "Canadian" version. The USA version had all "20a" breakers, while the Canadian version was all 15a except the one for the air conditioner. I don't know if the USA version really had 12 wire to all its receptacles and if those had the 20/15 plug ins. Mine had 14 wire to 15a CBs and receptacles.
Photo in Profile

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
DIVE2XS wrote:
The 2nd 20 amp breaker is only used when I have isolated the shore power from the system to use the inverter. I just wanted to be able to use it during short periods such as staying overnight enroute to another location so I don't have to fire up the generator to support the medical devices and such for the night.
Consider a small $50 transfer switch in the existing branch circuit. This provides automatic isolation. Allows you to use the existing outlets. Can provide backup power automatically if the utility power goes out.

https://www.donrowe.com/KISAE-TS15A-Automatic-Transfer-Switch-p/ts15a.htm

DIVE2XS
Explorer
Explorer
2 Honda 2000i generators
100 watt solar
Podogy Controler

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
I asked about 50 or 30 amp service because you CANNOT add excess amp draw to a 30 amp box. 30 amp RV boxes are designed for the 30 amp load in the RV and are designed to split the loads to total 30 amp. If you are trying to run an extra 20 amp circuit and appliance you will overload and trip the Main 30 amp breaker in the Breaker box or the CG pedestal pole breaker. Not really dangerous as the breakers will do their job but just an annoyance. Doug
I believe NEC allows max 5 branch circuits with a 30 amp main. The breaker ratings and appliances in a 30 amp RV very typically can exceed 30 amp draw. Manual power management is needed or the lights go out.

Regardless of NEC I added 2 more breakers but they are for items very rarely used. Never an issue.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:

You still have the option of "power management" to not overload.

There is also the confusion where USA posters often say "20a" when talking about 15a. The key is whether the "20a" really has 12 wire instead of 14 wire to it.

Not sure the OP has a clue about all that.
Photo in Profile

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well good thing you did not ask how to connect an inverter....
Seems odd that you would need to add or change a breaker to add an inverter.

DIVE2XS
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your concerns and answers. I'm gonna be installing a 2000 Watt inverter into the breaker Box. A friend of mine who's done this a few times before has drawn me diagrams on what kind of wires what goes where and is available by phone call. There will be 1 or 2 isolater switches to insure there is no feed back. I'm just trying to get a few things out a way to streamline the insulation once I'm able to get my RV out of storage in the parts together to do the project this weekend.
2 Honda 2000i generators
100 watt solar
Podogy Controler

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
You seem to have a lot of questions about how to replace a circuit breaker.
Based, on those questions, I question how you are going to wire this new breaker and run the wire to it.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253