Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: TV Antenna Question-Update
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> TV Antenna Question-Update

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/19 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Update 26 Nov

Got one of these:

https://www.princessauto.com/en/search?Dy=1&Nty=1&Ntt=outdoor+HDTV+antenna

Can I do without the big "net" and the long VHF dipoles and still get OTA digital TV with the shorter UHF dipoles? I want to do without the "net" to reduce wind problems.

Thanks.

(The "net" as they call it seems to be a reflector like with WW2 British gunnery radars that had Yagis poking out of them.)

https://maritime.org/doc/br224/img/dia33.jpg

* This post was edited 11/26/19 06:50pm by BFL13 *

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas

Ed_Gee

Central Oregon coast

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/19 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since most digital TV stations have been moved to the UHF spectrum, and assuming you are not too distant from stations, that antenna should work well.

Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/19 01:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends on where the wires are attached, and which parts are actually active elements. I am not an antenna man, but many times the short dipoles and not electrically active, and are only directors.

Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/19 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ed_Gee wrote:

Since most digital TV stations have been moved to the UHF spectrum, and assuming you are not too distant from stations, that antenna should work well.

Yes, but can I do without the "net"?

BTW this antenna has a neat feature, which is why I got it. It rotates with the power for that also coming up the coax along with the usual amplification power.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/19 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Johno02 wrote:

Depends on where the wires are attached, and which parts are actually active elements. I am not an antenna man, but many times the short dipoles and not electrically active, and are only directors.

There is the long dipole for VHF and a shorter dipole for UHF close to the mast, and then farther out from the UHF dipole there are five shorter "directing bars"

George3037

Central Square, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/19 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The antenna in question will work without the net (reflector) but not as well as with it. I'd say assemble it with the net as they are very light and don't have much wind resistance. I have two similar OAT antennas with reflectors. One for use with my camper and one on top of the garage on a 10' pole. Been up there for past 3 years without wind problems.

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/19 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At least you got it on sale.

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/19 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Some assembly required" to say the least. So there are wires to the big V dipole and other set of flat metal ribbon sort of "wires" to the U dipole. I guess that makes them active, as stated above. Seems like I can do without the V dipole if I want to, with the U one having its own "wires".

The net is porous, so might be ok in the wind--we'll see!

Have to try it out for the next episode in this saga.

Ed_Gee

Central Oregon coast

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/19 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

Ed_Gee wrote:

Yes, but can I do without the "net"?

BTW this antenna has a neat feature, which is why I got it. It rotates with the power for that also coming up the coax along with the usual amplification power.

Pardon my misunderstanding....I have been in the industry many decades and did not know to what you were referring when you said "net". That is apparently a reflector for mainly the UHF part of the antenna.....and yes, removing it will degrade the gain of the antenna. The long element is for VHF.....and likely not needed for almost everywhere. I would not drive an RV with any of this antenna up, so don't understand why you want to remove part of it.

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/19 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good luck w/ any part of that antenna. They are very fragile very cheaply made, mine won't even rotate when any wind is blowing. And in most cases, a batwing will out perform it.

Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> TV Antenna Question-Update
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.