Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Passports

rehless
Explorer
Explorer
Good Afternoon,
I plan to visit Puerto Penasco in January 2020 for six weeks.
My passport expires on February 7 2020 while I am in Mexico.
Do I need to renew my passport to be able to leave Mexico
at a later date in February? Thank you.
Bill
12 REPLIES 12

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Some countries won't accept passports that are valid for less than six months. You might want to check.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
Go to your local Costco and get your picture taken or you can do it at a AAA office. Get the paperwork from the post office fill it out and send everything in. Took me 3 weeks from Bellingham

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Are you feeling lucky today?

Just renew the passport NOW. Do not procrastinate. It takes weeks to get the new passport back, unless you are also feeling rich and want to use the expensive expedited method.

Talleyho69
Officially RealID can only be used for domestic airline travel identification.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://departsmart.org/what-is-real-id-and-will-it-affect-your-travel-plans/

Seems you can use an Realid with Western Hemisphere.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Talleyho69
That's great, however you were on foot, and had a very recent record of having crossed the border.

It's one thing to do what you did, accidentally, and another to know that your passport will expire while you are out of the US with a vehicle. Just renew the passport.

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
This past winter I stayed in Weslsco, TX. I went over into Mexico on a number of occasions for dental work. One day I forgot my passport, all I had was a driver's license on me. I showed my license and said I was over there for dental work and had forgotten my passport. The guy looked on the computer and said yep I see you were just here yesterday. Have a good day. Didn't give me any flak whatsoever.
I've been to all 50 States but my RV hasn't.

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
The Mexican Military has been asking to see a passport when entering and departing at Lukeville whenever they inspect. It's hit & miss although I don't think they have missed us in a couple of years. Mexican Customs/Immigration isn't stopping us near as much as they used to but the Military checkpoint is just another 100 feet down the road.
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

Talleyho69
The new "smart" driver's license ID's aren't good for international travel.

What it really comes to is Renew your Passport! Yes, you can get back into the US, but it will be a major hassle, and probably will continue to be any time you try to reenter the US from any foreign country.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just get your passport renewed now and take it with you. A drivers license that meets the new โ€œReal Idโ€ may suffice. Donโ€™t procrastinate.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
If a US Citizen, you do not need a Passport to enter the US. The Passport will speed things up, but if you have no Passport (expired or none), you will eventually be let in. It can take hours to be processed and released so make sure you have lots of reading material until they finally verify your identity.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Talleyho69
You don't need a valid passport to leave Mexico, but to enter the US.

Yes, you must have a current, unexpired passport to enter the US.

Renew it now!