Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: WA 20 or US 2 across the Cascades summer 2020?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> WA 20 or US 2 across the Cascades summer 2020?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/19 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our normal route is to leave Oak Harbor Wa. early evening after work, then and stop in Newhalem Wa in the rest area for the day. (no services) From there is a 4 to 5 day to the Red apple market in Twisp. Our next night is a over night in the Loul Loop Okanogan Forest camp (no services) then it is a 40 mile trip from there you go where 97 east or west or on to Spokane -> 1-90.

Keep in mind, Leavenworth is tours trap, $100.00 KOA

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Orion

Pacific South West

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/19 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you do 20, make sure you take a look at the viewpoint by the Liberty Bell Mountain.

Everyone has an accent, Yes, even you! ">

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try to spend as much time as you can along 20 -- many, many world-class day hikes in North Cascades NP. Great backpacking, too, although I have never done it.

This blog post may be of some interest:

North Cascades

This is what the area looked like in September a few years ago -- July is probably even nicer:

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/19 08:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant139 wrote:

Try to spend as much time as you can along 20 -- many, many world-class day hikes in North Cascades NP. Great backpacking, too, although I have never done it.

This blog post may be of some interest:

North Cascades

This is what the area looked like in September a few years ago -- July is probably even nicer:

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

Love that Highway!!

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

4runnerguy

Glenwood Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/19 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all for your input. Sounds like WA 20 may be our choice.

profdant139 wrote:

Nice blog post. It's interesting that you did some of the same hikes I have put in our list of things to do.

Part of our trip planning is to mix days of mountain biking and days of hiking. I found this amazing website on hikes in Washington:

Washington Hike Map

The trouble is we only have maybe 10 days in WA so trying to narrow the right hikes down is pretty tough with all the choices.

I do wish I could find a similarly high quality resource like the Washington Hiking Map for other states too. Well done site.

Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Camper8251

Gallatin Valley MT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/19 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WA 20 is the best route. Too much traffic down on 2 and you avoid all the fruits and nuts out of Seattle by going 20... Too far for them to drive.

Winthrop on East end cute little old west type town with Great Ice Cream!

Lots of BLM campgrounds North Of Winthrop on HWY 1213.. where you don't need a reservation months in advance... Unlike 2.. where you can drive for hours looking for campsite last minute.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/okawen/r........ing-cabins/recarea/?recid=59073&actid=29

Check out Harts Pass as well...

https://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/1853-harts-pass.html

* This post was edited 11/16/19 12:26pm by Camper8251 *

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 DMAX
Outdoors RV 23DBS
19.5 Vision Wheels with
Toyo M608z's 225/70R19.5 14 plys rated at 3970

paulj

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/19 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Winthrop area is a mtn biking mecca - not bad for road bikes and fat/snow riding as well.

On the phone, the MTB Project app is handy. There's also a hiking version.

For hiking The Mountaineers (and others) have been putting out guide books for years. And the WTA site is also great.

I think most of campgrounds around Winthrop are Forest Service, not BLM. Methow district

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/okawen/recarea/?recid=59073

4runnerguy

Glenwood Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/19 09:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

paulj wrote:

The Winthrop area is a mtn biking mecca - not bad for road bikes and fat/snow riding as well.

On the phone, the MTB Project app is handy. There's also a hiking version.
More and more places are getting to be mountain bike meccas. Towns now realize that mountain bikers aren't just a bunch of 20 y.o. stoners but a good number of older riders who spend money in town. In some ways figuring out which hikes to do is easier than which mountain bike trail systems to visit.

Besides MTB Project, we also use the Trailforks app. Obviously lots of overlap but each has trails that aren't on the other. I like how you can see where you are on the map so when you get to a junction, you can figure out which way to go.

Thanks all for suggestions. A common theme does seem to be to stop for ice cream in Winthrop!

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/19 10:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Speaking of ice cream, we had some great stuff at Cascadian Farms in Rockport, on Hwy 20. They were wide waffle cones, and we bought some raspberries to put on top of the ice cream. Excellent stuff.

If you are in Washington later in July, the wild blackberries may be ripe, especially at the lower elevations. Bring leather gloves, ziplock bags, and long sleeves. Major thorns. But incredibly delicious -- the fresh picked stuff tastes nothing like store-bought berries.

In late August, the wild huckleberries and mountain blueberries are ripe, but I think that is beyond your time frame.

4runnerguy

Glenwood Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant139 wrote:

If you are in Washington later in July, the wild blackberries may be ripe, especially at the lower elevations. Bring leather gloves, ziplock bags, and long sleeves. Major thorns. But incredibly delicious -- the fresh picked stuff tastes nothing like store-bought berries.
Thanks for the heads up. We'll keep an eye out as we're hiking. I imagine they grow at lower elevations rather than further up the mountain trail? We have a variety of different berries around us here in Colorado but I've never heard of anyone finding blackberries.

Funny story. I was visiting my dad out in WA back in 1990. In the store I saw marionberry pies for sale. Now I had not heard of marionberries before so I just assumed it was some sort of joke about Marion Berry, the mayor of D.C. who had been arrested for cocaine possession. My dad then let me know that marionberries were indeed a type of blackberry.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> WA 20 or US 2 across the Cascades summer 2020?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS