Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Wanna bring a golf cart and a Jeep towed
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Wanna bring a golf cart and a Jeep towed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/19 09:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hohenwald48 wrote:

Lot of folks with a lot of ideas that ignore weight and towing capacity. My 2017 Wrangler JKU weighs 4940 on the CAT scale. I imagine a Rubicon is probably more. On just about every gas motorhome, once you hook up a 4940 pound Jeep you're out of tow capacity and there's no way to haul more.

If I were to change out the hitch on mine I could tow 2k more lbs. my CCC is 4K lbs.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Alan_Hepburn

San Jose, Ca, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/19 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hohenwald48 wrote:

My 2017 Wrangler JKU weighs 4940 on the CAT scale.

You must have some aftermarket stuff added - stock weight for the JKU is around 4400 lbs...

----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

hohenwald48

Nashville, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/19 05:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alan_Hepburn wrote:

hohenwald48 wrote:

My 2017 Wrangler JKU weighs 4940 on the CAT scale.

You must have some aftermarket stuff added - stock weight for the JKU is around 4400 lbs...

Fuel and a couple of folding bikes and hard top. Don't know what the brochure/internet says but I do know what it scaled out on the CAT.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2015 Open Range 216 RBS
2013 Nissan Armada Platinum

Lancslad

SE VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/19 08:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow a 4 door Dodge Dakota with a 5ft bed and a Cricket in it . The tailgate is down and the Cricket sits on 2x6's. The Dodge has air bags and rides level.
Weight is 4780 lbs with full gas tank, just below my 5k hitch limit.

2011 FR Georgetown 337DS
2003 Dodge Dakota Towed

Brian in Michigan

S.E. Mi.

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/19 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What about thisTrailertoad

1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

stvdman

MD

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/19 05:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alan_Hepburn wrote:

I work at a Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram dealer and see them quite often. Not much you can do with the bed other than haul some flowers.

Not that I am an advocate for it but:

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/club-car-golf-cart-does-fit-in-the-bed-of-the-gladiator.20228/

In that link it has pictures too. Looks to be a little more than just "flowers". [emoticon]

stvdman

MD

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/19 05:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

The owner of the truck stated the tailgate was rated for an evenly spaced load of 1800lbs. seemed kind of high to me.

Cart weighs 900lbs.

From another quick search:

"The three-position damped and power-locking tailgate extends the bed's utility for fun hauling and Home Depot runs as well. Dropping the tailgate stretches the floor to 81.3 inches and its 1,200-pound total distributed load capability can handle heavier long loads, such as a pair of dirt bikes. The tire-tread-patterned icons on the front wall will help you line them up. And to get that load to the tailgate's 35 inches from the ground, the gate will handle 600 pounds with a single ramp and 850 pounds with a pair.
That's a lot of utility in a vehicle with a 1,600-pound maximum payload capacity that still can crawl over rocks and ford 30 inches of water."

* This post was edited 12/16/19 05:24am by stvdman *

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/19 06:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stvdman wrote:

[image]

The owner of the truck stated the tailgate was rated for an evenly spaced load of 1800lbs. seemed kind of high to me.

Cart weighs 900lbs.

From another quick search:

"The three-position damped and power-locking tailgate extends the bed's utility for fun hauling and Home Depot runs as well. Dropping the tailgate stretches the floor to 81.3 inches and its 1,200-pound total distributed load capability can handle heavier long loads, such as a pair of dirt bikes. The tire-tread-patterned icons on the front wall will help you line them up. And to get that load to the tailgate's 35 inches from the ground, the gate will handle 600 pounds with a single ramp and 850 pounds with a pair.
That's a lot of utility in a vehicle with a 1,600-pound maximum payload capacity that still can crawl over rocks and ford 30 inches of water."

Now, add a 4 seat cart and it's too long. I wouldn't want tow that for more than a few hours. All that weight behind the axle is going to create handling issues.

stvdman

MD

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/19 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does a 4-seat golf cart have a longer wheelbase? If so, I agree that it wont fit. If the wheelbase is the same, why wouldn't it fit?

And handling issues...well, anytime you add in weight to the bed of a truck you create "handling issues".

This is why you have to find out for yourself at times.

In this thread it was stated the Gladiator cant fit a Golf Cart (can only haul flowers). BUT , it appears a golf cart DOES fit.

Now it will create handling issues. What handling issues? Has someone actually done it and reported issues?

I have read a report from a Gladiator owner that put a 2-seat Polaris Razor in the bed and they backed it in as they thought it sagged the truck too much with it pulled in straight. Other than that, no handling issues reported.

Time will tell, but just speculating that these things CANT work or WILL happen by guessing isn't really helping.

Golf cart fit? YES
4-seat Golf cart fit? TBD
Within weight specs? YES
Handling issues? TBD

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/19 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stvdman wrote:

Time will tell, but just speculating that these things CANT work or WILL happen by guessing isn't really helping.

IMHO, the speculation might alert somebody to a possible problem, cause them to watch closer when the do it. Maybe see the snot coming before it hits the fan...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Wanna bring a golf cart and a Jeep towed
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.