Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Water line burst
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Water line burst

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/19 08:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pauldub wrote:

Get a high flow regulator instead of the cheapo ones.

Bingo - that's all it takes. Just make sure it says "high flow" and you'll have all the volume you need.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/19 08:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/F3004.htm

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/19 09:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DFord wrote:

I've been RVing for almost 50 years. ALWAYS USED A REGULATOR (unless the campground's water trickled out of the hose). Never had any problems with my pipes. I use a "whole house" Watts regulator adapted for garden hose (male/female) set at 50-60psi. I never had any luck with the cheapo regulators that screw on your hose although others I know seem to have no problem with them. I know the larger regulator like I use work 100% of the time and allow full flow - no problem taking showers.
[image]
Available at Home Depot and Lowes.

Unless one of the granddaughters is with us, I just fill the fresh water tank and use the pump. For those occasions when a granddaughter IS with us, I hook up to the sewer with the grey tank valve open and hook up to shore water. (I am not about to try to teach a teenager about Navy showers.) If I hook up to shore water I ALWAYS use the Watts regulator pictured above.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

JoeH

Apollo Beach,FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/19 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beemerphile1 wrote:

1. Get a quality regulator and always use it.

2. Always turn water off when you leave the campsite.

Agree on both counts.... I have also turned off a few water faucets in CG's where the RV owners had left and something gave way inside and water was pouring out onto the ground.

Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/19 06:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2 cents is before you do anything, try and find the person that was kind enough to shut your water off and thank them. Not everyone would have done that. One time I noticed 4 people standing at the roadside of a camper just watching. When I went over to see what they were looking at, I noticed water pouring out. I walked past them and turned the spigot off.

If God didn't want us to eat cows, he wouldn't have made them out of Steak and Cheese.

Life is a lot like a baseball pitch. Sometimes you get a fast ball down the middle of the plate and sometimes you get a curve ball in the dirt.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/19 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

My 2 cents is before you do anything, try and find the person that was kind enough to shut your water off and thank them. Not everyone would have done that. One time I noticed 4 people standing at the roadside of a camper just watching. When I went over to see what they were looking at, I noticed water pouring out. I walked past them and turned the spigot off.

Good point! Thing is, being on several forum types, for a length of time, I usually can tell a lot about other posters character, by their posts/responses.

I knew RobWNY would help, in this case turn water off. I feel like I know many forum folks, some I consider friends, even though I've never met them.

Jerry

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/19 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use your tank and pump.

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/19 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beemerphile1 wrote:

1. Get a quality regulator and always use it.

2. Always turn water off when you leave the campsite.

Agreed. Never assume the campground water pressure will be consistent. Many RV parks have their own well(s). Deeper wells often have two stage pumps to get water to the surface with sufficient pressure and volume. During times of high demand, both pumps may operate. (filling the campgrounds main storage tank for example) If/When a major draw suddenly shuts off, a huge pressure spike propagates throughout the system and the system pressure may stay elevated for a few minutes. If you lack the appropriate pressure regulating ability and your RV system is "iffy" you may experience fractured pipes. Hopefully you (or someone else) will be around if/when this happens. I've personally seen this happen several times. The RV park owner told me about their two stage well pumps. Now you know.

Chum lee

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/19 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a couple of those little brass pieces of Junk if you want one...

now the serious point of this post... I have use a WATTS 3/4 inch (more on why that ZURIN (also 3/4) when hooked up (not often) But for totally different reasons I've gone to filling my on board and using the water pump.

ONe park I stay at logged 120 PSI

THe watts new held a nice steady 50 PSI LIkewise the ZURIN I'm told the Valterra Adjustable does well (Way less expensive)

As the Watts and Zurin age they start to restrict flow (Pressure drops under load) but they can be rebuilt cheaply and easily.

WHy 3/4.. well they were cheaper than the 1/2's and of course easier to adapt to garden hoses.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

AllegroD

Outdare

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/19 06:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others have said, buy a quality pressure regulator, not one of those cheap reducers. Big difference.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Water line burst
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.