Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Do you think a front cargo rack is too dangerous?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Do you think a front cargo rack is too dangerous?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/19 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chum lee wrote:

So it would be OK if the rack (or it's contents) fell off the back and ended up under someone else's vehicle? As long as you don't know about it, . . . . no problem? Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm. At least if it's on the front of your vehicle, you can keep an eye on it.

Chum lee

Thank you.Everybody wants to witch about the "Me, me, it's all about me generation.

JTLance

Salem, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/19 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Listen, I’m not a kid. It’s just what I think while living in a VERY high traffic RV town. These goody setups are causing more issues than you think. It’s starting to look more and more like the Beverly Hillbilly’s with all the ridiculous garbage hanging around (front and back) of the pickups and 1960’s piece of crappola. I’ve seen broken metal- like carriages that had plastic gas cans and broken generators on the freeway. I’ve seen accidents with the same carnage in the front of people’s trucks from not allowing for larger stopping distances required. I’ve watched people walk into the stuff in parking lots.

Guys, if the truck didn’t come with forward tow hitches, get a **** trailer!

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/19 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You guys are just trying to stir up trouble.

The reason he felt that a failure would be safer on the rear rather than the front was that I can quickly pull over and deal with it if it's on the rear. On the front, it might wedge under the van and cause a rollover.

I don't normally drive on roads where there is a lot of traffic, so a rear rack wedging under a car that is following me closely is a much less likely scenario.

3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/19 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love this turnbuckle idea!

To answer pianotuna's question, I have it on a front hitch from etrailer, single receiver.

NRALIFR wrote:

Several of us carry gear safely in racks, toolboxes, trays, etc hanging on a front hitch. I carry this box on the front of my truck on a carrier that I fabricated.

[image]

I don’t particularly like the concept of only using the hitch for support and stability because the box did wobble a bit.

Instead of trying to scare you with tales of how your front carrier is going to kill you, maybe your engineer friend could help you fabricate some stabilizers like these. They run between the rear corners of the box and the tow hooks on the front of the truck.

[image]

Once the turnbuckles are tightened up, the box is rock solid.

[emoticon][emoticon]

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/19 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Naio wrote:

You guys are just trying to stir up trouble.

The reason he felt that a failure would be safer on the rear rather than the front was that I can quickly pull over and deal with it if it's on the rear. On the front, it might wedge under the van and cause a rollover.

I don't normally drive on roads where there is a lot of traffic, so a rear rack wedging under a car that is following me closely is a much less likely scenario.

I think you see my point. A takeoff of personal responsibility. If snot falls off your vehicle, and I have a choice; 20% it hurts me vs 100% you hit it, I want your family to be the ones scrambled.
If my stuff is secure why should I be at risk?
Also there is the fact that any vehicle, especially one towing a trailer the front axle is the least likely to be overloaded.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/19 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JTLance wrote:

Listen, I’m not a kid. It’s just what I think while living in a VERY high traffic RV town. These goody setups are causing more issues than you think. It’s starting to look more and more like the Beverly Hillbilly’s with all the ridiculous garbage hanging around (front and back) of the pickups and 1960’s piece of crappola. I’ve seen broken metal- like carriages that had plastic gas cans and broken generators on the freeway. I’ve seen accidents with the same carnage in the front of people’s trucks from not allowing for larger stopping distances required. I’ve watched people walk into the stuff in parking lots.

I don’t want a trailer, OK? I’m not a kid either, and the last time I checked, I get to decide what I do within the law. I don’t care what they look like to you, or what accidents you’ve seen. They weren’t caused by me, and the people on this forum aren’t causing the problems in your town. They aren’t illegal, so you and your demands can go pound sand.

BTW, I hate towable RV’s. If you need to drag around that much living space, stay home! I can play that cranky, stubborn old fart game too, buddy.

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/19 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Properly attached I say it is fine. However I would not be real excited if you were carrying gasoline or propane.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

JTLance

Salem, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/19 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

JTLance wrote:

I don’t want a trailer, OK? I’m not a kid either, and the last time I checked, I get to decide what I do within the law. I don’t care what they look like to you, or what accidents you’ve seen. They weren’t caused by me, and the people on this forum aren’t causing the problems in your town. They aren’t illegal, so you and your demands can go pound sand.

BTW, I hate towable RV’s. If you need to drag around that much living space, stay home! I can play that cranky, stubborn old fart game too, buddy.

[emoticon][emoticon]

Im not your Buddy, you are a cranky old guy and I hope they change the law so people like you have to use a trailer like normal people. Until then, happy camping. I’m sure your wife loves you.

Bird Freak

Dallas Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/19 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JTLance wrote:

NRALIFR wrote:

JTLance wrote:

[emoticon][emoticon]

Im not your Buddy, you are a cranky old guy and I hope they change the law so people like you have to use a trailer like normal people. Until then, happy camping. I’m sure your wife loves you.
Another example of the type members that run folks away from this site.
No need for replys like this.

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/19 05:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Immediately I was negative. Then, after thinking about it, I asked myself, what if it was my problem? I don't know.

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Do you think a front cargo rack is too dangerous?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.