cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Arctic Fox's change to cheaper-looking cabinetry ...

JN99
Explorer
Explorer
I'm really disappointed in the change for the 2020 cabinets in the Arctic Fox truck campers. So much so that it has stopped me from purchasing one. It's not only the new color that I don't like, but that the wrapped wood around the cabinet doors (face frame) looks like something from the 1970s, and that it may start to peel. It just looks awful to me. The cabinet face doors don't even match the color of the wrapped wood anymore! Look at the 2017-2018 models - the wood color was perfect and everything matched and looked of higher quality. Even the spice rack / book shelf looks to now have that ugly wrapped wood:

https://northwoodmfg.com/wp-content/uploads/photo-gallery/Camper/990/Camper_990_Windswept_Serenity__(13).jpg?bwg=1559065350

https://northwoodmfg.com/wp-content/uploads/photo-gallery/Camper/990/Camper_990_Windswept_Serenity__(15).jpg?bwg=1559065350

I don't know what they are thinking. I really like Arctic Fox but this is, in my opinion, a terrible decision. It has ruined it for me. I've also read that they have raised prices 8% for the 2020 model -- so they want me to pay much more for what I consider much less now. I'm not paying $40,000 or more to have to look at that ugly wrapped wood all the time that doesn't even match the cabinet doors. The cabinetry is one of the most important things to get right and they had it right, which makes it all the more disappointing.
25 REPLIES 25

Slymer
Explorer
Explorer
I couldn't agree more with JN99. We love the cabinets in our 2013 811. They DID have it right but that new stuff does look terrible,. and cheap.

Slymer
Explorer
Explorer
I couldn't agree more with JN99. We love the cabinets in our 2013 811. They DID have it right but that new stuff does look terrible,. and cheap.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
JN99 wrote:
specta, that wood looks real. Doesn't look like wrapped wood. The good old days.

It was real "heavy" too.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Vinyl wrap in itself wouldn't convince us to not to purchase a camper. However, have to admit Northern Lite's almost exclusive use of wood (and wood veneer) on their cabinets and trim, plus their heavy use of premium-quality 11-13 ply birch plywood behind the scenes, was one of several factors that convinced us to go with a NL. Saw very little of this in the Lance and Artic Fox campers we looked at a year ago. Of course, everything is a trade-off. NL is absolutely not shy about passing off the cost of using these higher quality materials in their MSRP--lol!

JN99
Explorer
Explorer
specta, that wood looks real. Doesn't look like wrapped wood. The good old days.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:
Times change and so do colors for RV's interiors..For those that have been around truck campers and RV's for a bunch of years,in the 50's and 60's the sinks/tubs/toilets and refrigerator/ice box's were green and yellow..Back then it was kool but now..YUK..

Here's my 1963 Goldcoast 49er with green appliances. :E
Kenny

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Times change and so do colors for RV's interiors..For those that have been around truck campers and RV's for a bunch of years,in the 50's and 60's the sinks/tubs/toilets and refrigerator/ice box's were green and yellow..Back then it was kool but now..YUK..

One of the draws to the Arctic Fox for me was the interior colors, that now have changed it seems..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

specta
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:

Yes they are and it is nasty in my opinion..

They new gray that seams to be in every new home is very unappealing to me.
Kenny

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
jaycocreek wrote:
Wait until they start doing the cabinetry in white like they are on the trailers and fifth wheels..Yuk is all I can say..

Are they really doing that now? That would be nasty!

Yes they are and it is nasty in my opinion..This was one of my favorite fifth wheels...Jayco HT..

Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
jaycocreek wrote:
Wait until they start doing the cabinetry in white like they are on the trailers and fifth wheels..Yuk is all I can say..

Are they really doing that now? That would be nasty!
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Doors and drawers look the same as my 2010, but the colors are so far of on the new ones, it looks like a blind person picked the color for the main cabinet framing. The mis-match is hideous!
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
It looks to me like it was done on purpose. I asked my DW to look at these pictures and asked her what she thought of thte look, she said she kind of liked it.
Different strokes....
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Itโ€™s not my style but if I wanted a well made TC with a single full wall slide I would buy a AF. If it was beautiful natural wood cabinetry then I would seriously look at a Big Foot.

JN99
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy, I said it looked to be lesser quality, not that it was. I don't know. In my opinion it looks much cheaper than the 2017-2018 version. It looks horrible to me now. You say "Quality is the same" - do you actually know that as a fact?

You think this is an improvement:

Look how the cabinet doors don't even match the wrapped wood (I didn't notice that in the previous years):

I guess I'm just not a fan of the 1970s look.