Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: F150 HD Payload and Max Trailer - How to spot them?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> F150 HD Payload and Max Trailer - How to spot them?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/19 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some upsides to the HDPP is a better mpg's and from what I've read a little better ride. If you get the tow mirrors then it's almost exactly the same width from mirror to mirror as an F250/350.
Towing with an HDPP 3.5 should be quieter. The 3.5 EB won't be turning 4,000-4800 rpms when pulling steeper grades.

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/19 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it has the E-Locker rear axle it's more likely got the Max Tow pkg. If it's got 18" wheels (and a very distinctive wheel cover if you know what your looking for) and the e-locker its probably got the HDPP pkg. None of those are going to be readily apparent, but when i was shopping for a new truck, a lot of listings would say it had the max tow package. But, your chances of finding a truck (new or used), that has both max tow and HDPP are very, very slim.

The HDPP is the only way to get the more robust frame; and you have to have the max tow pkg to get the HDPP pkg.

* This post was edited 11/14/19 10:54am by wing_zealot *

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/19 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At some point in time Ford dropped the 7 lug wheels for the F150HD models. Fleet Ford specs shows a '14 model with 7 lug wheels and a '15 models and up going with a 6 lug..... so lug numbers won't help newer year models.

The drivers side door sticker tells a story. All F150HD trucks will have a 8200 gvwr for older trucks and a 7850 gvwr for the newer gen truck but they all have a 4800 rawr on the cert sticker. Other package may not be that easy to find.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/19 03:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jim...you make too much sense and have the exact same thoughts

But...it makes for great theater using marketing nomenclature instead of GVWR & RGAWR...

And...the OEM's sell more trucks to those who bought the wrong F150...thinking advice from those who own top end GVWR F150's saying sure you can...

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

kw/00

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/19 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got a buddy who has one, I do believe that his is a 7 lug. Can’t recall the year for you. Overall great truck and should do what you need it to do. I’m thinking if you can’t find one that you may get a good deal on a close out 2019 model... I wonder if one could order it with a diesel..?

A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

joshuajim

Mojave Desert

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/19 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

Some upsides to the HDPP is a better mpg's and from what I've read a little better ride. If you get the tow mirrors then it's almost exactly the same width from mirror to mirror as an F250/350.
Towing with an HDPP 3.5 should be quieter. The 3.5 EB won't be turning 4,000-4800 rpms when pulling steeper grades.

Sorry to have to disagree with you but my real world experience with my HDPP is that it rides like a truck (LT tires and heavy duty springs and shocks). Part of the problem is that the TPMS is set for 55# front and 60# rear. No way to get a decent ride at those pressures. I rarely get over 15 MPG empty and typically 8 to 9 towing 8,000#.

I live 9 miles outside of a little town so most driving is on rural roads with very little in town.

Six years of ownership confirms all these facts.

RVing since 1995.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/19 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have to be lucky to find one at a good price used.

My boss likes to hit the auctions. He was all excited about one such Ford. Was telling me all about it. Said he was sure he could get it for under his 20K budget.... I told him that they were very highly sought after.
Next day, he told me it went fo 40K. He was shocked.
I don't remember the details year, mileage etc.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

packpe89

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/19 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

@kw/oo I don't think you can get the powerstroke option. Wish you could.

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/19 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

packpe89 wrote:

@kw/oo I don't think you can get the powerstroke option. Wish you could.

I just tried but I can't even find max payload mentioned on the build sheet so I must assume that it is still tied to the 3.73 axle. If I specified the diesel engine then the 3.73 axle the configurator dropped the diesel engine.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> F150 HD Payload and Max Trailer - How to spot them?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS