Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Rated engine power
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Rated engine power

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/19 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"In the US, all light duty vehicles are rated using the same testing procedures defined by the Society of Automotive Engineers. It is horsepower at the rear wheels with all accessories installed (A/C is likely turned off)."

No way this can be true. Every DYNO event I have been to the Stock Cummins nets about 85% of advertised HP. Sometimes a bit more.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/19 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

" Every DYNO event I have been to the Stock Cummins nets about 85% of advertised HP. Sometimes a bit more.

That's in part because the intercooler is out of the picture. They make a big difference!

* This post was edited 11/14/19 03:48pm by ScottG *

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/19 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

" Every DYNO event I have been to the Stock Cummins nets about 85% of advertised HP. Sometimes a bit more.

That's in part because the intercooler is out of the picture. They make a big difference!

WHY is it out of the picture?

Not much different than on the road with a big fan blowing at the front.

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/19 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder how much the manufacturer can play with the numbers. I am more familiar with outboard boat motor ratings and know that they have to be within 10% of the rated power, more or less, doesn't matter which way. Today most brands are selling performance more than power and with computer controls the typical outboard makes about 109% of rated power at the prop shaft. It is common to use the same engine to make several different power outputs, frequently with nothing different but the computer programming. I have heard that one engine that is advertised as 225hp at the rated RPM (5500) actually makes about 270hp at 4000RPM. This is within the rules since that is not the rated RPM. This brand like to advertise how strong their acceleration is. It is amazing how people can find ways around the rules.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/19 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is logical that manufacturers would measure hp at the flywheel with everything off. That would be the way to get the highest reading.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/19 05:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

ScottG wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I've only been to a few dyno events but none ever used a fan - do they sometimes? It would take a big one. Banks uses an elaborate setup of 40 HP worth of electric fans a bunch of ducting for dyno runs. Anything short of that isn't going to move enough air to make a difference IMHO.

ls1mike

Bremerton

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/19 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

ScottG wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I've only been to a few dyno events but none ever used a fan - do they sometimes? It would take a big one. Banks uses an elaborate setup of 40 HP worth of electric fans a bunch of ducting for dyno runs. Anything short of that isn't going to move enough air to make a difference IMHO.

You are in Bothell? I have used 3 different Dynos in this area. I have always seen a fan used. I have been to about 25 dyno days. I can't imagine not using one. Come to Auburn and watch my Caprice get Dynoed after I install the cam and headers. Those fans make a difference.

Mike
2017 Chevy 3500HD 6.0 Crew Cab Long bed
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/19 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ls1mike wrote:

ScottG wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

ScottG wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

You are in Bothell? I have used 3 different Dynos in this area. I have always seen a fan used. I have been to about 25 dyno days. I can't imagine not using one. Come to Auburn and watch my Caprice get Dynoed after I install the cam and headers. Those fans make a difference.

[emoticon]

ls1mike

Bremerton

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/19 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

ls1mike wrote:

ScottG wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

ScottG wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

[emoticon]

I met my wife in Bothell, she grew up on Whidbey Island.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 02:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

"Certified power" just means that they had a third party SAE licenced person witness them do the J1349 or J1995 test.
I would not discount this requirement with "just".

If you want real figures that you can rely on..... It is a big deal. Those that do it seem to always perform better, in spite of having lower numbers.

Whenever a company is allowed to self test anything, they always come up with better results.

In my buisiness, I have seen janitorial companies self test the emissions of their equiptment.... Wanna guess how often they fail?
OSHA allows this... What a joke.

On the retail side, we self inspect food safety aspects of the buisiness... Same thing, good scores invariably result. Of course when the health dept shows up..... The truth shows up in their report.. So now we have a independant company show up to do unanounced suprise inspections, in addtion to our self inspections. The outside company is very tough, and our health dept scores have improved dramactically as a result.

This self dyno testing works the same way... It is human nature to want a good score.... It doesn't matter what is being measured. If we are allowed to do it ourselves, our score WILL be better.

* This post was last edited 11/15/19 04:57am by Huntindog *   View edit history

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Rated engine power
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS