cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bringing extra fresh water.

specta
Explorer
Explorer

I bought an inexpensive submersible pump, attached a piece of PVC and about 25 ft of hose to the PVC.

I have two of these 15 gallon barrels and carry them on my ATV trailer.

I bought this $10 12v battery off eBay to run the pump.

Fresh water transfer pump.

If I take both barrels with me plus what the FW tank holds it gives me 70 gallons of fresh water.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.
23 REPLIES 23

lc0338
Explorer
Explorer
I just carry empty tubs that have lids. They stack inside each other and don't take up as much room as a regular water barrel. I put inside them large trash bags and after filling with water I tie a knot in the top so water doesn't splash out. I have a spare 12 volt water pump that I use to transfer the water into my fresh water tank. The spare tubs can be used for other purposes while camping. Also have a 30 gal water bladder but have not used it yet. I use bottle water for drinking and cooking while camping.

mi_drew
Explorer
Explorer
If you are worried about contamination, add one capful of bleach to each 20 gallons of water. Not enough to affect the taste, but enough to kill bacteria.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
frankgibbons1947 wrote:
That's a great gear you've got there. It's good to have a way with you to carry extra water on the go.

Thanks. I haven't needed it yet but hope to soon.
Kenny

frankgibbons194
Explorer
Explorer
That's a great gear you've got there. It's good to have a way with you to carry extra water on the go.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
discovery4us wrote:
Great way of getting extra water. I like the 15 gal. size as you can still move them when full.

I have a 55 gal. barrel that we use on long boondocking trips and a standard RV shurflo pump. The pump gets carried as a backup for the RV and also to pump out of the barrel.

I like the idea of carrying an extra water pump.

This is how I did it in my vintage TT.
Kenny

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco-noslide wrote:
Some RVs wouldn't handle that extra 600 lbs. very well.

600 lbs??

30 gallons X 8.34 = 250 lbs.

Not sure where the 600 lbs comes from unless you're including the 40 gallons in the camper FW tank.

I always leave home with a full FW tank.
Kenny

Bedlam
towpro wrote:
Tractor Supply 35 gallon water tank with standard hose bib fitting.
fits on the rack I carry on back of my Toad.

1/10th 120V AC harbor freight water pump

Than I use what ever generator I brought with me to run the pump. since filling water is a daytime activity why waist battery power on it, fire up the generator.

I would put water tank inside back of my Jeep liberty toad, and blue tank on the rear carrier. Carry sewer to station, and come back with fresh water (did not fill fresh water from sewer station)

I use an older version of this 12v pump https://www.harborfreight.com/12v-dc-transfer-pump-63324.html

It has sufficient pressure to run a hose nozzle and wash off my toys or sufficient volume to transfer water to the truck camper. It is better than a RV pump for our use but does not have a pressure switch.

I plan for 5 gallons per person per day which allows us cross the US without stopping at a campground with our current 65 gallon fresh tank. We were spoiled with our 150 gallon fresh water capacity toy hauler, so we adapted equipment rather than our camping.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Possibly not environmentally favorable and taking time to refill, why not use one gallon store bought jugs to refill the freshwater tank as needed when other safe sources aren’t available at a buck a gallon?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I you are going to tow a trailer then toting extra water might make sense. Personally I have learned how to camp and use minimal water. My typical camping trip involves hiking often in the heat. I take a daily hot shower. I manage that with about 1 gallon of water: wet down, soap up, rinse off. I use 2 more gallons a day for drinking, cooking and dish washing. I could probably cut back a tad with disposable plates and plastic ware but I rarely bother. Three gallons a day will get me about 10 days of camping. If my wife is along, we use another 2 gallons a day bringing the 30 gallon tank down to 5-6 days of camping.

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
The 'ol S&S carries 30 gallons, and we've figured out how to go 7-8 days on that if we bring drinking water also. I will outfit the enclosed trailer that I get for the Harley with an under floor fresh and grey tank, along with the giant solar array that will be on the roof and able to plug into the TC that we end up with in retirement.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
Tractor Supply 35 gallon water tank with standard hose bib fitting.
fits on the rack I carry on back of my Toad.

1/10th 120V AC harbor freight water pump

Than I use what ever generator I brought with me to run the pump. since filling water is a daytime activity why waist battery power on it, fire up the generator.

I would put water tank inside back of my Jeep liberty toad, and blue tank on the rear carrier. Carry sewer to station, and come back with fresh water (did not fill fresh water from sewer station)
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
There are also Plastimo bladder tanks who are rated for drinking water.
Lot of options depends what fits your needs.

Years ago we bought one of those 40 gallon water bladders from Camping world..Goes on your roof type of deal..Works okay but a pre-bleach rinse is necessary unless you like a rubber taste..Folds up and stores nicely..

Looks like a water bed full of water..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
There are also Plastimo bladder tanks who are rated for drinking water.
Lot of options depends what fits your needs.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Another idea, because I have them laying around, is ballast bags for the boat (water bladders) and the ballast pump.
For extended trips into the woods I can put a 40 gal fat sack on the floor in the back seat of the truck. Or a run to civilization without the camper can bring back 80 gal, either in the truck bed or the back seat floor with both bags.
Advantage is the bag(s) and pumps are easily stowable under the seat or in a cabinet when not in use.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold