cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Space Heater

junmy3
Explorer
Explorer
We use a small 1500W ceramic space heater that is not adequate. Today we looked a Lowes and saw a much larger heater, but is was also only 1500W. So my question is what kind of heater would be better. I know we could use the propane furnace, but prefer to not have to when we have electric hook-ups.
Jim & Junnie
2016 Jay Flight 27RLS
107 REPLIES 107

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
After all this discussion... the best heat to me is an electric RV fireplace from RecPro. Easy to install, looks great and has good heat.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Jayco25E wrote:
:B

Bet the OP never expected 11 pages on her space heater question. LOL

Hardly any mention of actual space heater options, just lots of chest pounding and bright color.

While many electric heaters have similar out put, some are much nicer, and much better quality.

Here is a nice heater I use, that has nice dials, great fan, and heavy duty cord, that actually does not get hot, when on high setting. I know it is too late for the OP that was run off 10 pages ago.

Jerry

Jayco25E
Explorer
Explorer
:B

Bet the OP never expected 11 pages on her space heater question. LOL
2008 Chevy Avalanche
Current 2021 Coachman Apex 300BHS
Past 2005 Jayco 25E HTT
1 kid (but always end up with a full camper)
2 retired Greyhounds

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
Cocky_Camper wrote:
We have had used a sunbeam fan forced heater for about 5 years, which was great, and had actual temperature settings. I was looking buy another this weekend since we now have the large Class A with 50amp, but they no longer make it.

I bought a ceramic heater, and it works no where near as good.

I personally like the one with numbered temperature settings so it is easier to adjust instead of just dots.

My electric space heater went south on a recent trip. I was close to a Lowes, and found this heater with the actual temp readout. It is not accurate as to actual temp in the rv, but relative, and does work well to regulate temp.

Clicky
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

richardcoxid
Explorer
Explorer
Belay the last paragraph in my above post The out put of a 1500W electric heater is SLIGHTLY less than the output of a Wave 6. I was trying to do the mental calculations in my head while typing.
2017 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax
2019 Outdoor RV (ORV) Timber Ridge 24RKS

richardcoxid
Explorer
Explorer
Some general information about 120 VAC and Propane space heaters.

The natural state of everything is cold, the natural flow of heat is from hot to cold. I.e. Without the sun this old earth would be a frozen mass of ice and stuff spinning around in space.

There are three primary methods of heat transfer- Radiation, Conduction and Convection.

Radiation- This is how the Sun warms the earth. On a sunny winter day when your Cat hops up onto a windowsill or your Dog lays on the carpet and follows the warm spot created by the Sun this is Radiation. I.e. Radiation warms objects. This is why when you stand if front of a Radiant heater (campfire, oil filled) you immediately feel hot on your front while your back is still cold.

Conduction- Physical contact and transfer of heat to an object. I re-learned just the other day when I accidentally touched the exhaust manifold of my wife's car with the back of my hand that exhaust manifolds are HOT!

Convection- Cold is more dense and falls, Hot is less dense and rises. Normally heat radiators
and forced air heat ducts in your house are placed next to the outside walls under or next to Windows and Doors. (thermostats are placed on a inside wall) Not always true on your RV, because of floor plans, cabinets, below floor level holding tanks, frame members etc. it is almost impossible.

Now about space heaters-

120VAC Electric- This includes Hot Air (Convection), Cube/Ceramic/Hot Oil- (Convection and Radiant) etc.

No matter what kind of heater, if the power cord has the standard residential two parallel flat prongs with a round grounding pin it is a MAXIMUM of 12.5 Amps. Go to your local Hardware store and look at their electrical receptacles and compare their pin configuration/voltage/amperage rating.

Now we have to complicate things a little-
Volts (V)- pressure, Amps (A)- volume, flow and Watts (W)- total power consumed. V x A= W (think of water flow thru a 1" dia. pipe vs a 2" dia. pipe)
Small portable space heaters are limited by code to 1500W or 12.5A.
This is true even with the just discovered "plug in space heater that will heat your whole house for just pennies a day!" This is nothing more than VERY expensive ($200.00 to $300.00) Radiant 1500W heater enclosed in a particle board box! Remember if it plugs in your house receptacle IT IS 1500W Max! You can go to HD/Lowes and get their $29 Hot Air Electric Space Heater and get the same amount of heat for a lot less money!

Now, how much heat is 1500W? We have to complicate things a little more.

The standard measurement (quantity) of heat is the BTU (British Thermal Unit) defined as "that quantity of heat that will change the temperature of one pound of water one degree Fahrenheit" My handy dandy little conversion reference book states that W (watts) times 3.41214 equals BTU. So 1500W times 3.41214 equals 5118.1BTU. So finally we are talking about something that we can all understand- A small 1500W electric space heater produces a little more than 5,000BTU of heat. As a comparison the Propane forced air furnace in my RV is 40,000 BTU and the furnace in my house is 106,000 BTU.

Now to talk a little about "Blue Flame/Catalytic Heaters. Disclaimer- Read and head the Operation and Safety Information online or included with product!

Blue Flame Heater- Radiant/Convection, Non-vented (maybe some can be vented to the out side, I don't know) open flame space heater often times with a metal/ceramic element to enhance the Radiant Heat effect. I have heard of "dry campers" putting a Terre Cotta flower pot over a range burner with about the same results! (I think that the small burners on a standard RV 3 burner stove is about 5,000-6,000 BTU while the single big burner is about 9,000 BTU) BOTH METHODS PRODUCE CO (carbon monoxide- colorless, odorless, tasteless gas) and they consume O2 (Oxygen) BOTH WILL KILL YOU IF NOT VENTED PROPERLY!, I.e. A low window cracked open at one end of your RV and a high window cracked open at the other end! (remember convection heat transfer) Disclaimer- Use at your own risk! See the above disclaimer!

Catalytic heater- Olympic Wave 3 (3,000BTU max), Wave 6 (6,000BTU max), Wave 8 (8,000BTU max) and others, Radiant Heater.

Goggle- "Catalytic" or "Catalyst" for a explanation of what a Catalyst is.

No open blue flame, No obnoxious odor of Propane combustion, however during operation the "platinum pad" is orange hot! DOES NOT PRODUCE CO however to support the catalytic action they DO consume O2, 99% plus heat efficient. I understand that if there is LOW O2 available they WILL produce CO. A small open flame is used only when starting the catalytic action. They will also KILL you (from lack of O2) if not vented properly (see above disclaimer) Dust is the worst enemy of the Platinum pad, keep covered when not in use.

Again- Go on line and read the operating instructions/warnings for ANY open blue flame/catalytic space heater!

So comparing a Olympic Wave 6 (6,000) BTU Catalytic Propane Radiant heater with a 1,500Watt (about 5,200BTU) electric heater. It would take about 5 1/2 electric heaters to give the equivalent to the heat output of the Wave 6.
2017 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax
2019 Outdoor RV (ORV) Timber Ridge 24RKS

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
So if I have a 30A camper and am paying for a spot that has a 50A service, then I use 2 space heaters, am I due a refund or do I owe more?

/sarcasm

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
We have had used a sunbeam fan forced heater for about 5 years, which was great, and had actual temperature settings. I was looking buy another this weekend since we now have the large Class A with 50amp, but they no longer make it.

I bought a ceramic heater, and it works no where near as good.

I personally like the one with numbered temperature settings so it is easier to adjust instead of just dots.
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Huntingdog,

I pay 14.2xxx cents per kwh. You are right about the decimal place--thanks for catching that. mea culpa.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I run 2 electric heaters and we dont camp when its below freezing much. I just run a heavy gauge cord out the slide to the pedestal and plug in there and can keep that one on high and also have another I just plug on the inside if needed.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
I see some mentioning the GFCI 20A ckt generally found on most pedestals if used in addition to the 30A ckt as being "cheating or using more than one has paid for". My take is that that ckt is included in one's electrical charge and using it in addition to say the main 30A ckt is NOT CHEATING or STEALING. The only way IMO to CHEAT OR STEAL is if one uses a 50A service when one has only paid for a 30A site when the costs are different between 30 and 50A sites and of course say running an additional power cord to another sites pedestal that you have not paid for.

Personally, I always ask for a 50A site and use my dual 30A to 50A dogbone to power my two 30A shore power cords to my trailer which gives me 60A of available power.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Huntingdog,

In Arizona:

The Time of Use plan charges 7.3 cents per kilowatt hour for off-peak summer hours and 24.1 cents per kilowatt hour for on-peak hours during July and August.

8 p.m.-3 p.m. the next day are off peak hours.

7.3 x 19 = $1.376

24.1 x 5 = $1.205

Total for 24 hours =~ $2.58

Where as in Saskatchewan I would pay

.142 x 24 =~ $3.41

I don't know why you think power is cheaper where I live.

The above numbers don't include taxes or delivery charges of which Saskatchewan has LOTS.
I think your decimal points are wrong.
7.3 is more than .142 where I learned math.
24.1 is a lot more than .142

Please recheck and confirm.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Sophisticated Inverter chargers can be limited to as low as 5 amps. That would allow 2 1500 watt heaters to be run, so long as the fridge is set to propane.
What PT has done to his RVs electrical system is nothing short of amazing....My hat is off to him for what he has achieved in being able to manage his loads.

Unfortunantly, that doesn't mean that other RVers are able to do the same.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Huntingdog,

In Arizona:

The Time of Use plan charges 7.3 cents per kilowatt hour for off-peak summer hours and 24.1 cents per kilowatt hour for on-peak hours during July and August.

8 p.m.-3 p.m. the next day are off peak hours.

7.3 x 19 = $1.376

24.1 x 5 = $1.205

Total for 24 hours =~ $2.58

Where as in Saskatchewan I would pay

14.2 x 24 =~ $3.41

I don't know why you think power is cheaper where I live.

The above numbers don't include taxes or delivery charges of which Saskatchewan has LOTS.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.