Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Space Heater
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Space Heater

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/19 08:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

Gdetrailer wrote:
5,000 BTU of heat out of one heater is a LONG, LONG stretch for heating an entire RV when considering it is a fraction of the heat a RV furnace can put out
While I generally agree with your point. You have to consider the efficiency of the lp furnace when comparing to a space heater.
Space heaters are 100% efficient. The lp furnace is far from efficient. I believe they are about 70% efficient and maybe as bad as 505 efficient.
If you hold your hand in front of the exterior exhaust discharge you will feel a lot of wasted heat being discharged to the outdoors.
That heat translates to $$$.
Efficiency ratings are a big deal when it comes to residential furnaces. RV furnaces are very inefficient compared to residential models.

[emoticon]

18,000 BTU input at 70% efficiency = 12,600 BTU = approx 2.4 1500 W electric heaters or 3600W.

30,000 BTU input at 70% efficiency = 21,000 BTU = approx 4.04 1500W electric heaters or 6060W.

You ARE typically RVing as a HOBBY, spend tons of money on a completely unnecessary RV which also has a absorbtion fridge which is about 30% efficient, a RV water heater which is barely 20% efficient, spend tons of money moving it with hyper expensive over the top tow vehicle then have the gall to worry about efficiency of the RV furnace?

Now, IF you are going to pay for the electric it WILL cost you much more than propane.. Resistance heat is not and never will be 100% efficient when you take in the WHOLE picture of just how that electric is created, transported and delivered to your plug.

Anyone with a all electric resistance heat home or business can attest to the fact that it uses more energy and costs more to do so..

I was involved in a church congregation which had a building that was solely heated with your 100% efficient resistance heat.. Electric cost was $4K (FOUR THOUSAND A MONTH!) and that was the averaging plan for a yr.. $48000 for the year!!!

Building temp was set back to 58F during non use periods and 68 during use periods..

Eventually after 25 yrs the heating system started having issues and parts became non existent it was decided to retrofit with gas heating system.

Electric bill dropped to less than $1K a month and the new gas bill was only $1K a month..

That IS a considerable savings and the new gas fired heating system paid it's self off in only three yrs.

Personally to me, folks attempting to use only electric to heat a RV at a campground are abusing the campground owners good will and there are many places that recognize that abuse and charge more or may have meters..

Don't be so blasted cheap and ruin the goodwill for others by abusing the system.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/19 09:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Radiant heat (cherry red element) heats the object it is pointed at. The air around the item (feet, for example) warms from reradiation. That results in a comfortable feeling from fewer watts.

I believe the oil filled heaters may be some what safer.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/19 10:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

1500 watts is about the maximum allowed in an electric heater, all of them will put out the same amount of heat. When choosing the brand or style, you just decide how you want to direct heat. If one is not enough, buy another if you have adequate wiring and power available.

Ditto.

I added a new outlet on a dedicated circuit, specifically for a heater.
I could even re-do the wiring and run it from dedicated 15amp shore power cord plugged in to a 15amp receptacle at the RV park pedestal.

I abandoned my cord that stuffs in to a storage cubby, and added a marine style shore inlet. That mod frees up the original cord cubby, so adding a dedicated cord for that new outlet would be another mod I could do.

New dedicated outlet and circuit for heater

Marine style cord inlet

* This post was edited 11/15/19 07:19am by deltabravo *

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/19 10:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

Don't be so blasted cheap and ruin the goodwill for others by abusing the system.

The fees the campground charges for each night of camping cover the cost of power, unless the park has metered power service.

If the park didn't want people using the full 30 or 50 amps of power, they'd put in lower amp service pedestals.

In other words, providing power is a cost of doing business. A park sets their nightly rates to cover whatever costs are associated with providing the services they offer.

* This post was edited 11/15/19 07:16am by deltabravo *

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/19 10:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I do heat our RV with electric as it is part of our hosting gig. Using cheap heat at
5,000 watts on a 50 amp service (17,050 btu/h) keeps us at setting down freezing, likely even lower. Way safer than plug in portable heaters.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/19 10:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

Gdetrailer wrote:

The fees the campground charges for each night of camping cover the cost of power, unless the park has metered power service.

If the park didn't want people using the full 30 or 50 amps of power, they'd out in lower amp service pedestals.

In other words, providing power is a cost of doing business. A park sets their nightly rates to cover what ever costs are associated with providing the services they offer.

Yeah, at average residential rates electricity is ~$1/W on an annual basis so a 1,500W heater costs a whopping $4/day, but wait, businesses generally pay 2/3 to 1/2 of residential rates so it's more like $2-3 a day. Not exactly going to break the bank for anyone charging for spots.

2017 KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
E2 WDH

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/19 11:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA commercial rates are higher than residential. Closer to $6+ day. Still not going to break the bank.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/19 11:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The difference between the oil filled radiator and the forced fan heaters is a personal preference. I am always cold in a room with an oil filled heater - unless I am sitting right on top of the heater I don't feel its heat. With a forced fan heater, I can feel the heat. I can be further away and still benefit from it.

For another person, it's the opposite. For the OP, try them and see. If you like the forced fan, I find the tower style works better for me as it pushes a wider path of hot air than the small ceramic ones. I got one with a remote, so I can turn it on and off without having to get out of bed.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 03:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

CA commercial rates are higher than residential. Closer to $6+ day. Still not going to break the bank.
Ummm, a park has many expenses, of which the electric is only one. Abusing the electric draw, could easily tip one from profitable, to unprofitable...

But Hey if you wanna brag how you got it for free... I guess that is the important thing.

I see things in realistic terms. Electricity costs money. Somebody HAS to pay for it.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.

MKirkland

Washington state

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 05:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use the overhead AC with the heater unit added. It warms our 22' trailer just fine.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Space Heater
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.