Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Space Heater
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Space Heater

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
cougar28

Lowell,AR USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 05:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So what’s the difference in running a heat pump that a lot of rv’s have today and people using a 1500 watt electric heater? I guess people with the heat pumps is not abusing the system and people using a space heater is?

2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 05:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cougar28 wrote:

So what’s the difference in running a heat pump that a lot of rv’s have today and people using a 1500 watt electric heater? I guess people with the heat pumps is not abusing the system and people using a space heater is?

Not at all.
I think that whatever your 30 amp service can provide is justified.
But some seem the think that running another cord from a seperate outlet is OK.... I do not. Some even have gone to the trouble of adding a seperate way to get the power into their 30 amp unit... That in my eyes is theft. Often the park operator will just overlook it, as they do not want a confrontation. It is kind of like shoplifting. Everyone pays for it in the form of higher prices.
50 amp service generally costs more, as the park understands the electricity use will be higher

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

cougar28

Lowell,AR USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the most part I don’t think the people doing that with a 30 amp service is stealing. I think what there try to do is keep from tripping there 30 amp breaker at times. I know on my old 5th wheel it was a 30 amp. If the a/c was on and say the coffee pot maybe the water heater then someone used the microwave it would trip the breaker unless one was turned off for the time the microwave was used. I think the majority is just trying to prevent that from happening.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Video I just found: Space Heater Nonsense

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2015 Nash 17k (bought pre-owned 5/23/18)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cougar28 wrote:

So what’s the difference in running a heat pump that a lot of rv’s have today and people using a 1500 watt electric heater?

No real difference in my opinion.

Heat Pump upgrade I did last year on my truck camper. It will cook you out of the rig, as long as the outside temp is above 35-38 degrees or so. Below that, the heat pump won't work very well... which is normal for most heat pumps.

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/19 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

junmy3 wrote:

We use a small 1500W ceramic space heater that is not adequate. Today we looked a Lowes and saw a much larger heater, but is was also only 1500W. So my question is what kind of heater would be better. I know we could use the propane furnace, but prefer to not have to when we have electric hook-ups.

I feel the same way and I do not think I am stealing electricity unless the campground specifically asks or says not to use electric heat. We use a small ceramic heater that we use in conjunction with the propane furnace when needed.
Most campgrounds we have stayed in do not have a price difference for 50 amp vs. 30 amp service. Usually the pedestal has both as well as a 15 amp outlet.
Obviously, if there was a problem, the owners would do something about it.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What elect. People use to heat is offset by lower pool costs. Running a huge pump all swimming season and added chemicals is expensive. The cooler months the pump runs less if at all and the chemical costs go way down. Just in time for electricity costs to go up. Business owners keep what it costs to operate and charge accordingly.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/19 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cougar28 wrote:

Heat pumps generally move twice the BTU per kWh. Although this can vary depending on conditions.

1500w space heater puts 5,200 BTU in the RV.
1500w heat pump puts 10,400+ BTU in the RV.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think 1500 is the max but not sure if one with a larger surface actually puts out more heat or not. We like the Vornado which was top rated by Consumer Reports. The fan is always running to keep even heat but an adjustable thermostat varies the heat output. The air is warm and never hot to the touch. Expensive but comes in various models and styles. It heats our 30 foot MH down to possibly 30ish. Some big box stores or on line Once our switch broke so I sent it to the manufacturer and it's been good now for years.

Jayco-noslide

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cougar28 wrote:

at least heat pumps are way more efficient that resistance heating. I don't know about RV heat pumps but home heat pumps/AC units typically get 3x or more the heat than resistance heating, With a SEER of 15, you get 15BTU/watt, or aboutt 4x resistance heating.

No this does NOT violate any thermodynamic laws, a heat pump does just that it moves heat from one location to another. (outside to inside or vice versa.)

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Space Heater
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.