cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

beaded cab driver seat??

obie311
Explorer
Explorer
My 3500HD Chevy Work Truck came with very well designed vinyl front bucket seats. However on an average driving day in the rig (usually about 6 hours) my bony bottom gets a little uncomfortable.

Some long distance motorcycle riders swear by beaded seat covers like you see some cab drivers using. I wondered if any of our forum members had a experience (pro or con) with these beaded seats?
16 REPLIES 16

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
These days I use whatever foam/gel cushion that is currently on sale - don't look as nice as the beads but your arse will thank you.
Kevin

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
They are still making them in Asia and it's beads of hard wood ideal to their tropical climate.

It has a massaging effects and conform to the shape of your body and yield to your preferred position on your seat.

That's probably the secret to its qualities.

You can ask a friend making trip to Asia to bring you one. Just double check that it's not made from one of those endangered tree species but specify hard wood, teak or acacia.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
AirHawk cushion.

But the price is = several all I can eat buffets.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Boy, the manufacturers put a lot into developing comfortable seats; possibly trucks even more than the average vehicle. Could just be your body telling you to stop more or quit sooner. I'm 77 and try not to travel more than 250-300 in our MH and not even that without breaks. It's an old Ford E-450 and I think the seats are pretty good.
Jayco-noslide

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
This thread takes the cake...Please don't anyone ask about hemorrhoid donuts though!

Pro tip for y'all. Get on Amazon and you can buy a new seat cushion to replace that old wore out seat in your whatever you're driving for about the same as the gupta beads or butt cushion.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
The beaded seat cover is great if your legs/butt fall asleep or your muscles start to ache on long drives. The beads roll as you sit and help keep the circulation flowing.

If you are just getting sore at pressure points, then a cushion may work better.

We had them when we had a early '80's Caddy Sedan DeVille that I think had leather. We liked them and did just as stated above. Car ok till my Uncle showed up w/ his '85 Town Car. Got rid of the Caddy for a '86 TC w/ cloth. Loved that car, but never used the beads again.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Link

The same material used in medical applications. I can drive pretty much all day sitting on one.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
For a time I would change beads for a while, then sheepskin, maybe just seat for a couple hundred miles. Then I added a vibrating pad to the mix. All felt better right after a change. IMHO the best for a RVer is stop and walk around often.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The beaded seat cover is great if your legs/butt fall asleep or your muscles start to ache on long drives. The beads roll as you sit and help keep the circulation flowing.

If you are just getting sore at pressure points, then a cushion may work better.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I got a "Comfy Cushion" at a big box store, and have loved it. But, is is wearing out and getting lumpy, and I cannot find another one anywhere. The drivers seat in our coach has begun to sag a bit, so I need one for comfort, and a bit more height also. Have tried a few different ones, but have not found anything comfortable yet.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have used them when I was driving truck, and I loved them. IMO much better than a sheepskin, which my DW loves. So you just have to try them to see if you like it.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
I used one to get some distance between me and a hot vinyl seat. Never did use one on a long drive. Should be cheap enough to give it a try.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
My mom had one in her car 30 years ago. I like it until the fishing line broke and the little wooden beads went everywhere. 😞
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I tried one years ago and thought it was more irritating than anything
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper