cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Texas to Zihuatanejo

ZihuaRx
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. Any advice on which border crossing in Texas may be best to cross into Mexico would be greatly appreciated. I will be coming from Canada and probably going through San Antonio. Gracias.
9 REPLIES 9

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
We used to get up early and arrive to get permits predawn but it's never that busy - even at noon. Returning to the US is a different story. Customs can be a long wait - 90 minutes sometimes. This March we were lucky and got in line at customs at 10:30 for a 15 minute wait.
Bring pens with you when you get the permits - it will speed up the process.

ZihuaRx
Explorer
Explorer
I will be driving down in a Ford Expedition. Thus the need for a motel. Thanks.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
It is highly recommended to cross as early as possible, you mention staying in a hotel in Laredo, there is an RV park close to I-35 that will take overnight guests, Vaquero Village RV Park, 16594 US-83 Laredo TX. 78045 Tel (956) 763 7771, give them a call we prefer to sleep in oury own bed in the RV than a hotel or motel.

Remember to drive in the daytime, try to be done before sun down.

navegator

ZihuaRx
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! Thanks for all your help everyone, including the moderator. It is really appreciated by this newtimer to driving and to this board. I am sure I will have more (stupid) questions, but I thought I would send this thank you off right away. I will use that Laredo crossing Bridge two. Thought of a question while typing. Would it be a good idea to stay in a hotel close to there so I can cross the border first thing in the morning? I do know one thing.....Andy and Red would never leave Zihua! Have a great night everyone and thanks again.

Talleyho69
ZihuaRx is new to driving in Mexico, and will be traveling with 3 dogs in an SUV to Zihuatanejo-much better than flying the dogs.

Any suggestions as to where to stop along the way? Maybe even a hotel suggestion?

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
If you're going to see Andy Dufresne and Red, they moved to Cabo San Lucas.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Wm.Elliot wrote:
I was down that way in March. I prefer the Laredo crossing - use bridge II at the terminus of I-35. After crossing the bridge you'll want to stop and do paperwork in the complex which is almost under the very bridge you just crossed. Bear left and watch for a sign indicating a very sharp left turn. Drive back towards the bridge, get your permits and then backtrack to the same road you made the sharp left turn on. This time turn right and head towards Monterrey toll or free - both roads are good. Watch for a right turn as you enter Monterrey - this toll road avoids Monterrey and will connect to 40. 40 west is good either free or toll. Before Saltillo look for 57, take it. 57 can have some surprisingly heavy traffic and can be slow at times - other times it is fast. 57 is a good road, no topes and much like a highway in the US.

X2. We've been to Laredo and back from Monterrey several times this year, the last three weeks ago. Great highway either toll or libre. Libre is more scenic.

Hwy 57 is pretty much repaved all the way to the exit of San Miguel de Allende. This too we have driven several times this year.

Guadalcรกzar, SLP (off Hwy 57 north of SLP)is a good place to boondock for a night or two. Very friendly town and you can park in the first plaza.

We are in San Miguel now, taking the car down we drove Hwy 85 to Ciudad Victoria and then cut across to SLP. Very scenic and two places to overnight, Tula and Juamave.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
I was down that way in March. I prefer the Laredo crossing - use bridge II at the terminus of I-35. After crossing the bridge you'll want to stop and do paperwork in the complex which is almost under the very bridge you just crossed. Bear left and watch for a sign indicating a very sharp left turn. Drive back towards the bridge, get your permits and then backtrack to the same road you made the sharp left turn on. This time turn right and head towards Monterrey toll or free - both roads are good. Watch for a right turn as you enter Monterrey - this toll road avoids Monterrey and will connect to 40. 40 west is good either free or toll. Before Saltillo look for 57, take it. 57 can have some surprisingly heavy traffic and can be slow at times - other times it is fast. 57 is a good road, no topes and much like a highway in the US.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Google map shows San Antonio, Laredo (OR Columbia crossing), Monterrey, Saltillo, San Luis Potosi, Ururapan Zihuatanejo.

Been awhile since we have driven that route (36' DP), but know of no reason not to take it.

We used Columbia Crossing which is a little out of the way but very easy, but understand the N Laredo paperwork offices have been improved.

Hopefully, others with more current information will weigh in.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/