cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Current crop of SUV'S

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Why do they call them SUV'S when then vast majority of them are glorified station wagons? To me a SUV is a truck based full frame vehicle. Got to love marketing.
63 REPLIES 63

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't "SUV" just marketing lingo that has no real meaning good or bad? I owned an IH Carryall way back in the day; currently have a Toyota Sequoia and have had a Suburban, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Liberty, and Subaru something in between.

Some could tow a lot (nothing compared to my F550...) some not so much, but all of them could be "sporty" depending on the meaning, and all had some utility...so they're all "Sport Utility Vehicles" in my book.

The Sequoia's great for towing the sno-go's or the small ATV and it's great for running around town. The F550's great for towing the flatbed and for plowing snow; not so much for grocery getting. Each vehicle fills a mission slot and if it works, the maker can call it a Blkgovfizit for all I care.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
JRscooby wrote:
But the higher percentage of smaller vehicles in a given number of vehicles the more room everybody has to miss the impact all together.

That's assuming they maintain the same amount of space as if they were larger vehicles.

The truth is that they will cram more of their little cars into the same space.

The best way to prevent accidents isn't to drive a smaller vehicle. The best way is to maintain a safe distance between you and the vehicle in front of you regardless of size. Stop worrying about keeping that other car from moving into your lane in front of you and you will be a lot safer. Realizing that if you can keep the traffic moving past exits, rather than bottlejamming, by maintaining space to let others move over and exit, you will get to your destination faster and safer than if you block that space between you and the car in front of you.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
IdaD wrote:

A Focus is going to fold up like a beer can if it gets hit by anything significant.

IMHO, safer for everybody, not just you, if everybody drove smallest car the would do the job.

Trying to be nice, so I will just say I don't share your opinion.

Sorry, but sometimes the facts are not nice to hear. The fact is small cars are not more dangerous, large cars are not more dangerous, it is accidents that are dangerous. And after decades of Ralph's influence all are safer.
Now in a impact between a Suburban and a small car, sure the people in the small car are more likely to get hurt, just like impact between Suburban and a Western Star, people in Suburban are in most danger. But the higher percentage of smaller vehicles in a given number of vehicles the more room everybody has to miss the impact all together.
To say "I drive a big car because it is more safe in a wreck" is same as "I'm more important than anybody else" or "Me, me, it's all about me!"

You know what my primary concern is in a crash? Me and my family. I have no problem saying that.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
Just heard. Ford is coming out with an electric Mustang SUV...

Well those are 3 words that certainly donโ€™t go together! Lol

That's what I thought.

Here it is: https://jalopnik.com/2020-ford-mustang-mach-e-heres-the-car-price-and-0-60-1839875945

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Your theory is great in a โ€œfairโ€ crash, but momentum usually still trumps engineering
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Great theory scooby and yes safety design and equipment is much improved in ALL cars, but the bad accidents Iโ€™ve been in say 100% different .
And you would too if you pulled out in front of me with your Prius and I was going 50mph in my mega cab. Youโ€™d be just as dead and your car would be just as flat.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
toedtoes wrote:

Well those are 3 words that certainly donโ€™t go together! Lol

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the NW and BC Canada waters we who traveled in small yachts always said tonnage wins when it comes to an encounter with a ferry boat, tanker or cargo ship.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bionic Man wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
IdaD wrote:

A Focus is going to fold up like a beer can if it gets hit by anything significant.

IMHO, safer for everybody, not just you, if everybody drove smallest car the would do the job.

Sorry, but sometimes the facts are not nice to hear. The fact is small cars are not more dangerous, large cars are not more dangerous, it is accidents that are dangerous. And after decades of Ralph's influence all are safer.
Now in a impact between a Suburban and a small car, sure the people in the small car are more likely to get hurt, just like impact between Suburban and a Western Star, people in Suburban are in most danger. But the higher percentage of smaller vehicles in a given number of vehicles the more room everybody has to miss the impact all together.
To say "I drive a big car because it is more safe in a wreck" is same as "I'm more important than anybody else" or "Me, me, it's all about me!"

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we have 2 SUV's; a 2005 Acura MDX that we have owned for almost 11 years; it is a very comfortable and reliable vehicle and we love it. We have thought about buying something newer but it runs so good and is so trouble free, what for?

Last year we bought a 2001 GMC Yukon from the original owner to pull our boat. It's in great shape and runs fantastic with 266k kms on it. We love it as well and actually took it on a solo road trip a couple of weeks ago for the great room and comfy ride.

Plus they are both much safer than any small car!
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
IdaD wrote:

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
That could be why they didn't do it.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
Last I read it was going to be based on the jeep wrangler.

I donโ€™t really see the point in that,
Shared platform leads to very little cost for research and development. Been done for years with all auto mfgs.

Thatโ€™s not what I meanโ€™t. I donโ€™t see the point of using the Wrangler because it couldnโ€™t carry or tow any more than the Durango, probably less and it sure wouldnโ€™t be any competition for the Tahoe, Expedition etc.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS