Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Current crop of SUV'S
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Current crop of SUV'S

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 04:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why do they call them SUV'S when then vast majority of them are glorified station wagons? To me a SUV is a truck based full frame vehicle. Got to love marketing.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 04:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

Why do they call them SUV'S when then vast majority of them are glorified station wagons? To me a SUV is a truck based full frame vehicle. Got to love marketing.
Do they even make stationwagons anymore?
My family had a few of them back in the day. They all had full frames, and some were pretty capable as TVs.

I do agree with the point though. It seems that they are all moving to unibody construction, and over all less capable performance... But that does seem to be what the public is buying.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

Halmfamily

Munford, AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/19 05:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ill stick with our Honda Odyssey. So much easier to get in and out of, huge amount of cargo room, smooth and lots of power. Don't need to tow with it as we have a dually for that. Cheaper to insure as well and reliable.

My wife drives a 2015 Dodge Durango and loves it. It has the V6 and rear wheel drive, which is the main we was on we purchased it. Her only complaint is not enough room inside compared to my Odyssey.

* This post was edited 11/15/19 05:19am by Halmfamily *

2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

mleekamp

Washington, IL

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 06:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree SUV's are not SUV's. My wife has a 2016 Subaru Outback...it's called a "wagon" in marketing lit, and the title says "wagon". I have made a few friends unhappy calling their SUV a "wagon" or "minivan". Yes, i do it for the friction and discussion afterwards.

Anyway, point I'm making is I too miss the old wagons that could pull a small trailer. A great pic I have from 1981, when I was a 9 year old lad, is my dad hooking up our 1972 Buick Electra 225, full frame and 455 cubic inch 4 door family car, to our Shasta 29 foot bunkhouse TT (no slide outs!). We had many a family trips in that set up. Don't ask me weights, because I have no idea. But it did have weight distribution set up.

2019 Jayco Redhawk 29XK Class C, Ford V10 E450 chassis
2000 Jeep Wrangler for a Dinghy w/ Invisibrake & Curt Tow Bar

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stupid Useless Vehicle.

Station wagon for small trailer? A Vista Cruiser could tow most travel trailers available. And remember back then most pickups got crowded with 3 people.

Iraqvet05

Greenwood, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/19 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I doubt there is any agreement on what defines an SUV. GM still makes truck framed SUV (Tahoe, Blazer, Suburban) and they have their niche. I think many that had one (including me) got away from them because of their lumbering ride, poor fuel mileage and high step in....all traits we over look if we wanted to tow something with those SUVs. The majority of the SUV buyers doesn't want that. They want a smooth ride with descent fuel economy they can haul the family around in. I don't believe marketing is responsible for the decline of the full-framed SUV, it's consumer demand. Personally, I'd rather have a truck bed than the 3rd row of seating when it comes to a TV.

Huntindog, yes VW, Volvo, BMW, Porche, Buick and Subaru make station wagons thought I use that term loosely.

2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is. I don't think my sister's Expedition is any more of a real SUV than my wife's Pilot. It's body on frame and RWD biased versus unibody and FWD biased, but they drive pretty much the same, both have independent suspensions on both ends as well as limited ground clearance and poor approach/departure angles (I'd guess the Expedition is worse in that regard). Neither is going to get very far off-road with much success but both can handle reasonably poor forest service roads fairly well and snow/ice very well. The Expedition can tow a little more than the Pilot but both are a joke compared to my truck in that regard. Towing aside, they're both well suited as family vehicles in the Northwest where we live. Subarus are extremely popular in this part of the country too, with good reason.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/19 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you parked all the "SUV'S" side by side, then looked at them from the side, they all have the same body shape!! At least I think so. I'd like to upgrade the DW into a SUV, but wan t one that is RWD and wheel drive. However, in saying that, we currently have a VW Passat which she loves and I'd like to go into the VW Atlas as we've been very pleased w/ the 2 VW's we've had. Comes in either FWD or AWD. Don't want AWD. She asked me the other day if any SUV's are hybrids to which I have no clue. Are there?

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/19 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

If you think about it, the original SUVs were the ones that were a marketing gimmick. Automakers took unrefined, harsh riding, poor handling pickup trucks, made the truck bed part of the cabin, added some bling and sold them at a hefty profit.

Since then, consumer tastes and the industry have evolved considerably. There must be a good reason why automakers are stopping production of cars and adding more SUVs to their offerings. Most SUV buyers today prefer having a vehicle that handles and feels more like a car than a truck.

I own a current-generation 4X4 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it's like night and day compared to the old SUVs. We are currently looking to replace the wife's smaller SUV with a new one and ride quality and road manners are of paramount importance.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Iraqvet05 wrote:

I doubt there is any agreement on what defines an SUV. GM still makes truck framed SUV (Tahoe, Blazer, Suburban) and they have their niche. I think many that had one (including me) got away from them because of their lumbering ride, poor fuel mileage and high step in....all traits we over look if we wanted to tow something with those SUVs.

Huh?
I just picked up an old Tahoe, 01 model, for a winter beater car.
Lumbering ride? Nope, rides like a Caddy, too soft for my liking actually, but it is a plush ride, no argument there.
Poor mileage? Yeah, but not compared to anything else that size. With a 4speed and 3.73s it does 14-15mpg compared to my 2017 1500 Silverado work truck that does 15-17mpg same conditions with 15 years more tech advancements to the drivetrain.
High step in? It's (as are most) a low slung mall crawler with full running boards from the factory. Any lower and you're stepping down into it like a sedan.

Save for the old 3/4ton SUVs that went the way of the dinosaurs about 10 years ago, I haven't seen one that isn't a plush car like ride.
Isn't that what the other geezers complain about, suvs are too cushy to tow heavy?

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Current crop of SUV'S
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS