Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Current crop of SUV'S
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Current crop of SUV'S

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/19 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ACZL wrote:

If you parked all the "SUV'S" side by side, then looked at them from the side, they all have the same body shape!! At least I think so. I'd like to upgrade the DW into a SUV, but wan t one that is RWD and wheel drive. However, in saying that, we currently have a VW Passat which she loves and I'd like to go into the VW Atlas as we've been very pleased w/ the 2 VW's we've had. Comes in either FWD or AWD. Don't want AWD. She asked me the other day if any SUV's are hybrids to which I have no clue. Are there?

The new Ford Explorer is RWD. I believe most, if not all, Mercedes SUVs are RWD and BMW has some models. Toyota, Lexus, Ford, Acura, BMW and Volvo offer hybrid SUVs.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ACZL wrote:

If you parked all the "SUV'S" side by side, then looked at them from the side, they all have the same body shape!! At least I think so.

OMG ROFL, funniest statement of the week!
Same shape? Uhhh you're right, they're SUVs. Should they put the hood in back and the back seats up front to make one look different?
That's like saying line up pickup trucks....dayum, they're all the same shape. Copycats, putting that bed thing behind the cab.....Where's the originality? LOL

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/19 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think because the term "SUV" sounded more robust and widened the purchasing audience than the former "mini-van" which marketed to families. "SUV" not only fits "families" but also the single, not married group who want something that sounds more "sporty" than just a "family" vehicle, to the old dude thats now going through their second childhood! (like me). SUV sounds kind of sporty and rugged, appealing to anyone, including the "family" car.

Basically... it's all words anyway. Call it a "toad monster" if you want. It doesn't change what the vehicle actually is. But, how many people would actually buy it, if it were actually called a "toad monster"?

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

((I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is.)) It has to have a point, LOL. I guess it would be the castration of the truck based SUV towards a CUV . Like someone said that's what the people want. To me there just a station wagon with a poor center of gravity. You do sit upright where you don't have to crawl in and out of them. I will check out the new Ford Bronco. GM could of made the Blazer out of the Colorado/Canyon instead of another CUV, like the other 4 or 5 models they produce. I guess the crew cab pickup made the true SUV obsolete for families wanting to tow a large trailer.

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, the world of motor vehicles just keeps changing to match customer demand. Unfortunately, customer demand is often based on fads, and superficial characteristics. I've had some small wagons and I think they are about the best, most sensible way to go.
The performance, handeling, weight and mileage of a car with more cargo space. Whereas, many think they have to "set up higher" which is overrated. Just make a small wagon a couple inches taller if desired. A small hatchback is next best or better. Still light and a car with great mileage. Some of them look sharp and are quick also. I don't get SUVs for 90% of buyers. My Ford Focus certainly isn't the perfect car in quality but it's fun, great ride, back seats fold flat and I'm averaging well over 30 city/highway combined.

Jayco-noslide

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/19 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Love my new Toyota Highlander SUV. Easier to get into (over a car), lots of power, smooth ride, very roomy inside. And it tows 5,000 pounds. We'll never go back to a car.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

rdhetrick

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/19 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

ACZL wrote:

If you parked all the "SUV'S" side by side, then looked at them from the side, they all have the same body shape!! At least I think so.

OMG ROFL, funniest statement of the week!
Same shape? Uhhh you're right, they're SUVs. Should they put the hood in back and the back seats up front to make one look different?
That's like saying line up pickup trucks....dayum, they're all the same shape. Copycats, putting that bed thing behind the cab.....Where's the originality? LOL

Haha, I was thinking the exact same thing!

Rob
2005/06 Mandalay 40E Full Time
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

Why do they call them SUV'S when then vast majority of them are glorified station wagons? To me a SUV is a truck based full frame vehicle. Got to love marketing.

Simple-SUV's sell, station wagons don't.

I used to have a Taurus station wagon and loved it but Ford couldn't sell those. Make a similar vehicle with a sexier name and it sells like crazy. Kind of like Chrysler couldn't sell Volare's but put a few hundred dollars worth of bling on it, raised the price $10,000, called it a 5th Avenue then and couldn't make enough of them. It is often about vanity.

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no industry standard for SUV or CUV. Differeent manufacturers, engineers, sales, marketing cannot agree, so neither can consumers. The vast majority of what I think the OP is calling SUV are unibody crossovers, or CUV. There are not many nameplates and sales volume that are actually body on frame today.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R

LittleBill

Scranton, PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't understand this hatred for unibody, i have NEVER seen one broken in half.

i literally towed 1500 pounds with a unibody Chevy cavalier for years and it did fine and now i tow 2000+ plus with a mitsubishi outlander

i also towed over 40,000 miles with a 93 subaru outback and that had 0 issues as well.

the 98 cav destroyed the 93 subaru and the 07 outlander destroyed the 98 cav, im really not sure what you people want that makes a suv so crappy, and all my pulls were mountains, maybe not outwest mountains but a bigger tranny cooler and i would have no concerns.

no one is expecting 10k towing out of a small suv, even though i thin the grand cherokee is around 9k.

dully to pull a popup comes to mind.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Current crop of SUV'S
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS