Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Current crop of SUV'S
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Current crop of SUV'S

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

By the way, the Durango is now back to body on frame.

Me no think so.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/19 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

By the way, the Durango is now back to body on frame.

Me no think so.

Ah, dang. They did it to me again. They keep whispering going back to the body and frame and then they release the unibody... Sorry, I hadn't looked at it in a few months.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 02:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

Why do they call them SUV'S when then vast majority of them are glorified station wagons? To me a SUV is a truck based full frame vehicle. Got to love marketing.

Simple-SUV's sell, station wagons don't.

I used to have a Taurus station wagon and loved it but Ford couldn't sell those. Make a similar vehicle with a sexier name and it sells like crazy. Kind of like Chrysler couldn't sell Volare's but put a few hundred dollars worth of bling on it, raised the price $10,000, called it a 5th Avenue then and couldn't make enough of them. It is often about vanity.
I use to have a 03 Taurus wagon as well and liked it. I traded it in 04 for a new Diesel truck. I still have a couple of Excursion (7.3 and V-10) that I will hold on to. Won't be long before I can get antique tags for them, LOL.

I have thought about a Chrysler Pacifica for when I don't need to tow. The stow and go seats combined with rear A/C would make for a good Colliehauler.

thomasmnile

Lake Mary, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/19 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For many of them, I think 'crossover' is a better description. Most are geared to passenger comfort and grocery gettin', not really tow machines. And for those of us that remember, most do look like the venerable station wagon of old, only sexier. It is all about marketing.

That said, we traded our 2018 Camry for a 2019 Highlander. Was tired of driving a car I had to fall into then climb out of, the seats were absolute torture, and the 8 speed tranny behind that 4 cylinder was an absolute irritation, constantly shifting. The Highlander? Absolute delight to drive, comfortable, and I'll be able to haul the Christmas tree home from Home Depot in a couple weeks.

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/19 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

Love my new Toyota Highlander SUV. Easier to get into (over a car), lots of power, smooth ride, very roomy inside. And it tows 5,000 pounds. We'll never go back to a car.

I just bought my wife for her birthday a 2019 Highlander XLE AWD, its a nice quiet riding SUV, Toyotas dual fuel inject V-6 is the best V-6 on the market..

jfkmk

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

Why do they call them SUV'S when then vast majority of them are glorified station wagons? To me a SUV is a truck based full frame vehicle. Got to love marketing.

Who cares what they call them or what the term means to you? As far as marketing, what about BMWs SAV? Or Nissan starting the 4-door sport coupe (when coupe by definition had been 2 doors)?

As far as small SUVs, CUVs, or whatever you want to call them, I think they’re great! They hold plenty of cargo, have a comfortable ride, get good mpg (relative to what you consider an SUV), and if equipped with 4 or AWD, rival any full size suv on the road in bad weather.

I recently bought an Acura RDX. Wanted a 2-door, but my wife wasn’t going to give up her coupe (2-door), we needed a 4-door, and the pickup is too big for general city driving. Seriously looked at a Macan, but it was too small, and I couldn’t get past the high maintenance (30,000 mile spark plug changes went out in the 70’s Porsche!).

The RDX is a hoot to drive, comfortable as can be, and sticks to the road like glue. Can’t wait to try the AWD in the snow! Do I stress over it not being a “true SUV? Nah.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 09:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sure the current crop of SUV'S drive and ride and handle like a car, that does not necessarily mean that they make good tow vehicles for large trailers especially with a short wheelbase. The full frame 3/4 ton SUV is extinct with the exception of the 3500 Burb that has a low tow rating and difficult to purchase.

* This post was edited 11/15/19 10:00pm by colliehauler *

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/19 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a couple of comments that most won't care about. First; I don't think gas is cheap. Do you? The miles I drive, would take well over $2000 in fuel for a pick-up. My Focus; about $1000. Or to state it another way I go about twice as far on each gallon. Secondly, I don't think the upper 20's MPG, which is typical for an SUV, is good mileage. Not to mention, that each pound to move and each gallon burned add to Co2 in the atmosphere.

Jayco-noslide

RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/19 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

Do they even make stationwagons anymore?
My family had a few of them back in the day. They all had full frames, and some were pretty capable as TVs.

I do agree with the point though. It seems that they are all moving to unibody construction, and over all less capable performance... But that does seem to be what the public is buying.

Outside the US, Europeans make Station Wagons as well as SUV's

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/19 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco-noslide wrote:

Just a couple of comments that most won't care about. First; I don't think gas is cheap. Do you? The miles I drive, would take well over $2000 in fuel for a pick-up. My Focus; about $1000. Or to state it another way I go about twice as far on each gallon. Secondly, I don't think the upper 20's MPG, which is typical for an SUV, is good mileage. Not to mention, that each pound to move and each gallon burned add to Co2 in the atmosphere.

We're a family of 5 so a small car is a non-starter. Frankly even if we fit in one, I'm fine spending more on fuel for the sake of safety, let alone comfort. A Focus is going to fold up like a beer can if it gets hit by anything significant.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Current crop of SUV'S
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS