Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Current crop of SUV'S
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Current crop of SUV'S

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
LittleBill

Scranton, PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mitsu tow 2500+

subby tow 1000+

Cavy tow 1000+

you guys keep thinking you can't tow anything with these, call it what u want, i love my mini-van more than all of them combined.

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anything CAN tow and they all have OEM ratings

Heck, a half ton CAN tow the Space Suttle (190,000 lbs)...have seen videos shoeing a VW towing a 747

Pure marketing and lost is how long will it do that, what incline CAN it tow those things. How will they be able to manhandle them in a Mr Murphy moment

Monocoque can be designed to tow heavy and monocoque failures like breaking in half are rare...they will rattle like crazy towards their end of life. Understanding how spot welds fail is key to any discussion of monocoque designs...like a monocoque can be much tirsionally stiffer vs a ladder frame...initially...down the road may be a different story

SUV...CUV...has blurred. OK...the fashion statement crowd typically do not care about details underneath the skin...bells and whistles at the top of their list

Just buy what you like and enjoy your decision...towing has additional metric which should be considered...

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/19 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

...We'll never go back to a car.

Us either, but we won't do SUVa eiter. We now have 2 pick-up trucks. I don't think we'll ever own anything else now. We love our 2 pick-ups! One is a grocery getter, the other is a towing beast! Both are 4 door, full crew cab and covers over the bed.

Lwiddis

Near Annett’s Mono Village, Bridgeport, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/19 12:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"when then vast majority of them are glorified station wagon"

Speaking of the Tahoe only, my 2015 had 1595 pounds of payload and a max tow weight of 8400. I don't think that is a "glorified station wagon."

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.autotrader.com/car-shopping/suv-vs-crossover-whats-difference-215843

Campfire Time

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When all is said and done does it really matter what marketing classification it's called? Vehicles are like tools. Each one has different capabilities and fits different needs.

Does it work for you? Does it do everything you need it to do? If the answer to both is yes, then why worry about what it's called? Drive it and enjoy it.

Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid, 2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71

js218

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have a 08 Explorer, 12 F250,17 F350 Anda 18 Navigator, enjoy all of them

2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

Why do they call them SUV'S when then vast majority of them are glorified station wagons? To me a SUV is a truck based full frame vehicle. Got to love marketing.

Simple-SUV's sell, station wagons don't.

I used to have a Taurus station wagon and loved it but Ford couldn't sell those. Make a similar vehicle with a sexier name and it sells like crazy. Kind of like Chrysler couldn't sell Volare's but put a few hundred dollars worth of bling on it, raised the price $10,000, called it a 5th Avenue then and couldn't make enough of them. It is often about vanity.

Maybe back in the day there were rvnet members sending carrier pigeon messages back and forth you know 1960s email.....saying
"Listen to this marketing [email protected] Wagon? Earl, that's just a carryall with a fancy name and looky there, it don't even have the springs of my pickemup truck. Useless, never will go over!"

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

gmcsmoke

Butler

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/19 01:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

Why do they call them SUV'S when then vast majority of them are glorified station wagons? To me a SUV is a truck based full frame vehicle. Got to love marketing.

ok boomer

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/19 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back in the 80s, station wagons were losing selling power. Chrysler took a station wagon and raised the roof and bam the minivan was born!

As for the SUV, it used to be a truck to haul people (think suburban and power wagon). They were rugged so "the boys" could go huntin and not have to ride in a truck bed. Jeep, Land Rover, Toyota, etc., all started making a version. Truck to haul people.

In the 80s, the SUV became a more stylish version of a minivan. People liked being able to carry 6-8 people while still having an appearance of being "withit". This was when the modern Jeep Cherokee came into being.

By the late 90s, manufacturers started shrinking the SUV. These are what we really consider crossovers - they only hold 4-5 people and have lower roofs. They are the new station wagon. Mom and Dad up front, 2.5 kids in back, and space for groceries, etc.

By the way, the Durango started as body on frame, then went to unibody, and is now back to body on frame.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Current crop of SUV'S
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.