Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: A Question Are you limited to life on pavement
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> A Question Are you limited to life on pavement

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/19 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How many Americans and others ,how many RVers have not touched a blade of grass, went fishing or hunting or exploring or gotten more than 200 ft from the pavement, sidewalk etc, or tourist spot. How many have ventured beyond the noise of the road and the airport, flight paths and the train and heard and experienced only themselves and nature?
Our daily lives do not involve much except from our Rvs to Wal Mart and restaurants and life in our vehicles. The only recreation available to many is jumping i the car and to the store, stop at fast food ,or restaurant and back home or to the RV.
When I was young and Dad's Cousins families in Va now live life such that the house is a place to get out of the rain and snow, sometimes, a place to sleep sometimes..The out of doors was for living not inside under the tv or in the car to and from a store, since there are few parks, in the urban landscape or cityscape, or even in the country today.
THIS IS NO WAY TO LIVE, limited by ho much money can we sped to recreate.

mockturtle

AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/19 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I manage. [emoticon]

2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is why I chose to travel the side roads and stay off the Interstate Highway System whenever possible.
There's too much to see in America and it can't be seen at 75+ MPH on a limited access highway.
Stop and smell the roses, pine trees or cow manure. Life is short.

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of South Western Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My trailer is on pavement just long enough to find a dirt/gravel road to head off to a secluded post in the boonies.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't encourage more people to get out in the boonies, then they'll become tourist traps too....

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/19 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Off grid, off pavement in 8 days, then on to Vegas for maximum concrete.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Different strokes for different folks. 40 years ago when I lived down in SoCal it was hard to find privacy, wildlife, camping etc - even playing a round of golf required you to make reservations weeks in advance. Everyone adapts or moves. I chose to move.

Kevin

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go out in nature? Isn't that what youtube is for? [emoticon]

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/19 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As ksg5000 says different strokes for different folks. I use my RV the way I want to. If you want to use it differently, then go for it. I'm certainly not going to tell someone they're doing it wrong.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/19 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always said, there is no right or wrong way to go RVing (or camping). It's just "different" for each one of us.

When we were younger and the kids were still little, we did all the running stuff, everything from amusement parks to hikes in forests so deep if you stepped 10 foot off the trail they'd have to call a rescue party for you.

Been to the beaches, the mountains, the prairies, and the cities. Been to the tourist areas as well as some pretty isolated places.

Our house is located in the country. This year we had a bean field for a back yard and a corn field for a front yard. Tractors, plows, fertilizers, and combines are the indicators of the changing seasons. Snowed in back country roads in the winter, power outages in the Spring when the Spring rains and wind blows so hard you wonder how things stay standing, or the RV in your driveway doesn't blow over!

So, now that we're older, the kids have kids of their own and only very rarely go camping with us, and because we've pretty much, "been there, done that! and did the go, go, go camping lifestyle, back to nature, swimming, hiking, you name it, keep up with the Jones, gotta do everything to educate the kids and expose them to what true nature is really all about (yea, sure)....

Well, the time has come if I want to just sit around a simple campfire at a State Park so I have someone to converse with, instead of cows, pigs, and ears of corn, I think that's pretty much OK for me now!

And if I decide to go inside my camper and enjoy the $77,000 investment by watching television, well, I think that's OK too.

I've lived in "nature" pretty much all my life. Sometimes it nice to get away from "nature!"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> A Question Are you limited to life on pavement
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS