Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: A Question Are you limited to life on pavement
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> A Question Are you limited to life on pavement

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

I camp next to the BWCA wilderness area. Notice I say next to not in. Hard core nature lovers get a limited number entry permit and camp using a tent and canoe carrying in and out all their supplies. I stay in my RV with HVAC and gel memory foam mattress. I take the pontoon boat out on the lake that permit motorized boats not a canoe. The difference no man-made structures and limited number of people allowed to enter into the wilderness area and no motorized vehicles permitted.

BWCA is over one million acres in size along the Canadian border for a hundred and fifty miles and adjacent to Canada's Quetico Provincial Park.

FWIW, the state and/or the NFS have set a great example by doing it right at our favorite Northern CA lake to RV camp at:

- Three beautiful campgrounds in the trees with no hookups (just centralized water faucets) and all sites are blacktop surfaced ... there is one centralized shower building shared by the three campgrounds for tenters or RV'ers who don't want to shower in their rigs.

- Campsites are well spaced apart for a wide open feeling when camping.

- Two of the three campgrounds are on the shore ... where you can leave your boat pulled up right on the beach for easy access day after day.

- A couple of boat ramps.

- Motorized boats permitted, but speeds must be kept slow.

- No water skiing or other water sports permitted ... sightseeing and fishing only.

- A beautiful pristine forested shoreline with no developments permitted on or near the shoreline anywhere.

- A lot of bird life everywhere along the the shores.

- Several little coves along the shoreline to anchor in and fish or just sit in the boat and enjoy.

- A beautiful mountain view in the skyline opposite the campgrounds.

- Fishing is carefully groomed and maintained to be for trophy trout ... my most recent catch while trolling in our small boat included a trout of over 22 inches.

- The lake's altitude is not too high or too low at just under 6K feet ... this provides mild temps combined with clear air and deep blue skies.

- The surroundings are super quiet on the lake and around the lake.

The lake and it's setting may be unique in the state - or in several states at least with respect to RV camping use ... the camp hosts know of no lake in CA with this unique set of characteristics.
California has lots of beautiful areas when you get away from the large cities and major attractions . It sounds like you have found a gem.

Elk_traveler

maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/19 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I agree with the "different strokes for different people and that's ok for them but we have a different take on this subject. Been RV for nearly four decades and we are wedded to the state parks. After more than three decades from tents, popups, trailer, 5th wheel we have move up to motorhome but we still primarily camp in state parks. Why, because the experience is still similar to what it was when we started out years ago. We simply are not happy with the close confines of private parks where your unit is within arm distance of another and there is no outdoor experience in the private campground sitting around a pool or just sitting around talking. Don't get me wrong we stay in a private parks only when we are on the road going someplace and on long trips to the western part of country because of modern facilities needed when on road for lengthy periods. America has some incredible states parks throughout the country where the experience is very similar to what it was more than 30 yrs ago. I guess you could say we are from the old school because we still carry our old Coleman stoves and lanterns for lighting and we are very happy in the phrase "Dare to be modern". To us many so called campers miss out on what we call a real outdoor camping experience by hanging around private parks because they have a pool, club house or even a restaurant. Of course, if that is your idea of camping, that's fine but certainly not for us. We have visited so many state parks throughout the country so cannot say which one we like better another than to say we have enjoyed so many places and hopefully will continue to enjoy them. It just seems most private parks exist on three to five acres of land with everything crowded and cramped together. Kids have no place to play, no trails to visit nature, etc. Many barely have enough room to stretch out an awning without rubbing the next camper. That's not good.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/19 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Elk traveler It's actually great that some want private parks with all the amenities. Could you imagine how crowded state campgrounds would be if they didn't?

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/19 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Different strokes.
Sometimes all you need to get away is an overnight in your own driveway.

mountainkowboy

Socal > NE Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/19 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fizz wrote:

Different strokes.

We called it "redneck" camping....and the kids were NOT allowed to bug us....lol.

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
1990 F350 S/C Lariat Dually (Red)
1990 S&S 11SC Cabover
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/19 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Being a bit judgemental today aren't you? Why should the way you want to do things be the best way? When did "Do it my way, or you're wrong" become the mantra for so many people?

I think the big question is ,who cares what others do. To me do what you like , if that is limited to the pavement, then so be it.

I have always said I hunt, and fish, and if you want too ,and don't ,its a BIG mistake. But if not then no mistake at all .

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/19 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm hoping to learn

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/19 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fizz wrote:

Different strokes.

I sleep in my Greyhawk every night at home. My wife likes it that way. My snoring is similar to a Mount Saint Helens eruption. The queen shorty mattress did not last long.

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS. Wife and daughter. Three cats which we must obey.

kellertx5er

Keller TX

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/19 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Being a bit judgemental today aren't you? Why should the way you want to do things be the best way? When did "Do it my way, or you're wrong" become the mantra for so many people?

Pretty much describes most of what I see in here.

Keller TX
'19 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L
'09 Outback Sydney 321FRL 5er
SUPPORT TEXAS STATE PARKS

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/19 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kellertx5er wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

Pretty much describes most of what I see in here.
Shoot, it describes pretty much all opinion forums. Heck, check out Facebook if you want to see rabid believers in "My Way is the Only Way", or "Do It My Way or Die".

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> A Question Are you limited to life on pavement
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.