Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: A Question Are you limited to life on pavement
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> A Question Are you limited to life on pavement

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
beemerphile1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Climbing up on a soapbox can make you are target, be careful up there.

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/19 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

How many Americans and others ,how many RVers have not touched a blade of grass, went fishing or hunting or exploring or gotten more than 200 ft from the pavement, sidewalk etc, or tourist spot. How many have ventured beyond the noise of the road and the airport, flight paths and the train and heard and experienced only themselves and nature?
Our daily lives do not involve much except from our Rvs to Wal Mart and restaurants and life in our vehicles. The only recreation available to many is jumping i the car and to the store, stop at fast food ,or restaurant and back home or to the RV.
When I was young and Dad's Cousins families in Va now live life such that the house is a place to get out of the rain and snow, sometimes, a place to sleep sometimes..The out of doors was for living not inside under the tv or in the car to and from a store, since there are few parks, in the urban landscape or cityscape, or even in the country today.
THIS IS NO WAY TO LIVE, limited by ho much money can we sped to recreate.

.... And then there's us strange folks who I guess must have an entirely different chemical makeup.

i.e. I think it's ultra-rewarding fun and enjoyment to be able to get a fully self-contained RV out there on the far side of beyond (depending upon the RV) so as to be there with all the comforts of home along, such as:

1. A good air conditioning setup.
2. A good heating setup.
3. A good leak free stay-out-of-the-rain/snow setup.
4. A good sleeping setup.
5. A good toilet setup.
6. A good showering setup.
7. A good food refrigeration setup.
8. A good indoor cooking and baking setup.
9. A good evening movie setup.
10. A good evening reading setup.
11. A good evening board games setup.
12. A good evening propane firepit setup.
13. Plenty of good clothing and proper equipment along for - hiking, photography, fishing, bird watching, rock hounding, sitting outside and napping out of or in the sun, etc. - during the days.

A few years ago when I used to backpack, sometimes I'd look out from our campsite at beautiful nature settings and think "boy, I sure wish I could get our RV to this spot so as to completely enjoy it"!!

However for those of us who still want to do some of the above with our RVs ... I'm afraid the relentless Population Bomb is going to make it more and more difficult for us.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/19 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No agenda or bone to pick. It is simply about how disconnected we have become from the rest of the world the natural world. Our lives are becoming one of confinement, to the cage of asphalt,concrete, our homes ,the stores and the several times a day commute between them, along with stops at fast foo places. I bet there are many ovens never used, today.
One thing that has come back along to bring back some sanity is home shopping for groceries, for those of us without personal shoppers. You o run a risk of the foul pkg of carrots in the bunch since the Pickers in the stores see all as the same.
When I was young we went to the store ad they picked the items from the shelves and cases and bagged them for us. This was when I was at home of course .Most of my time ws in the mountains with Grand Ma with its own clock. e moved to the burbs and they delivered the groceries to us there.
Wives will be telling us how much they miss shopping but, how much time they now have to put effort int the lawn or garden or at school meeting for the kids. And sooo on.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/19 08:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

down home wrote:

How many Americans and others ,how many RVers have not touched a blade of grass, went fishing or hunting or exploring or gotten more than 200 ft from the pavement, sidewalk etc, or tourist spot. How many have ventured beyond the noise of the road and the airport, flight paths and the train and heard and experienced only themselves and nature?
Our daily lives do not involve much except from our Rvs to Wal Mart and restaurants and life in our vehicles. The only recreation available to many is jumping i the car and to the store, stop at fast food ,or restaurant and back home or to the RV.
When I was young and Dad's Cousins families in Va now live life such that the house is a place to get out of the rain and snow, sometimes, a place to sleep sometimes..The out of doors was for living not inside under the tv or in the car to and from a store, since there are few parks, in the urban landscape or cityscape, or even in the country today.
THIS IS NO WAY TO LIVE, limited by ho much money can we sped to recreate.

.... And then there's us strange folks who I guess must have an entirely different chemical makeup.

i.e. I think it's ultra-rewarding fun and enjoyment to be able to get a fully self-contained RV out there on the far side of beyond (depending upon the RV) so as to be there with all the comforts of home along, such as:

1. A good air conditioning setup.
2. A good heating setup.
3. A good leak free stay-out-of-the-rain/snow setup.
4. A good sleeping setup.
5. A good toilet setup.
6. A good showering setup.
7. A good food refrigeration setup.
8. A good indoor cooking and baking setup.
9. A good evening movie setup.
10. A good evening reading setup.
11. A good evening board games setup.
12. A good evening propane firepit setup.
13. Plenty of good clothing and proper equipment along for - hiking, photography, fishing, bird watching, rock hounding, sitting outside and napping out of or in the sun, etc. - during the days.

A few years ago when I used to backpack, sometimes I'd look out from our campsite at beautiful nature settings and think "boy, I sure wish I could get our RV to this spot so as to completely enjoy it"!!

However for those of us who still want to do some of the above with our RVs ... I'm afraid the relentless Population Bomb is going to make it more and more difficult for us.

hot cold dry warm? I was out in the wilds or fishing rain just meant it cooled things a bit. Fish still hit and those that might melt left us alone. First time I felt hot was plowing with the mule pulling a single tree, that as a tad taller than me at age 9. Cooled off quick though. Rand down the drive and off the bridge.
Even when I was married I went hunting or fishing or whatever was rain or snow going to stop me? I had t work, they didn't include a clause in the contract that said I could stay home when it was cold, hot, raining, or snowing or it got dark early or light too late.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/19 09:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

No agenda or bone to pick. It is simply about how disconnected we have become from the rest of the world the natural world. Our lives are becoming one of confinement, to the cage of asphalt,concrete, our homes ,the stores and the several times a day commute between them, along with stops at fast foo places. I bet there are many ovens never used, today.
One thing that has come back along to bring back some sanity is home shopping for groceries, for those of us without personal shoppers. You o run a risk of the foul pkg of carrots in the bunch since the Pickers in the stores see all as the same.
When I was young we went to the store ad they picked the items from the shelves and cases and bagged them for us. This was when I was at home of course .Most of my time ws in the mountains with Grand Ma with its own clock. e moved to the burbs and they delivered the groceries to us there.
Wives will be telling us how much they miss shopping but, how much time they now have to put effort int the lawn or garden or at school meeting for the kids. And sooo on.

Most people I know have a good balance. The only folks I see who are "disconnected from the natural world" are those who don't WANT to be out there.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

pennysmom09

Delaware

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/19 06:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To TOEDTOES, consider this a “like” for your comment.

Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/19 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My DW thinks boondocking is when we don't get satellite...

I avoid interstates whenever I can find an older US route going the same way. These older routes tend to actually go through a town rather than around the outskirts. This allows you to see the town motto on their sign and some of them are a hoot.

Then sometimes you get a little too far into the US route and need to jump back on the big roads. Remember this folks if you find yourself on US40 in western Penn. instead of I-70

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/19 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not big on hiking, never been hunting, not a big fishing fan, never played golf, avoid any CG with "resort" in the name, avoid FHU campsites, don't need water at site either, know how to get by with 20amp in my 50amp trailer, don't avoid dry camping, like COE & SPs over private CGs, don't have satellite TV, don't panic if out of cellphone service area, do virtually all repairs myself.

What does that make me? I figure somewhat on the rustic side of the average RVer. You won't come across me way out in the wilderness somewhere but you won't find me glamping in some resort where everyone has their noses stuck up in the clouds either.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/19 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rv'ers sure love our stereotypes. We try to frame everyone into some sort of box.
Resort Rv'ers have their noses in the air!
If your not touching a blade of grass you're not a real RV'er?
For the record, I don't consider hunting a sport or a challenge until we find a way to arm the animals so they can shoot back.
Shooting a defenseless animal for sport is not a sport or my idea of fun.
I do have many friends that hunt and I don't have any animosity towards them or any hunters. But hunting is not my thing.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/19 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The number 1 reason we started "camping" in 1971 was to be a part of nature. Now, we have a MH but still prefer state and national campgrounds even though we can't risk back roads and wilderness campgrounds. The kind you are talking about isn't really camping but just traveling with a home with wheels. Nothing wrong with that.

Jayco-noslide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> A Question Are you limited to life on pavement
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.