cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Half ton towable fifth wheel

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Not exactly a travel trailer subject, but I think many of us might try out a fiver if they were light enough. This one seems very nice to me. The video is over a year old, so maybe it's already been shared around here.

Celtic Rambler
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE
16 REPLIES 16

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
Yet another of the long line of just enough truck posts.
If you want a fifth wheel, why not just get a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck and be done with it?
Usually because they tow 5-10 times a year and don't feel like driving a HD truck the rest of the time. Not everyone wants to commute with a 3/4 ton, and if it fits the specs, then why not?
2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2016 F-150 Crew Cab (it's my wife's ride)

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my 1st half-ton to tow a small 5th wheel I was inexperienced and went half-ton because I thought it would drive and ride more car like and we planned it to also be our only vehicle. But now I realize that the 3/4 and even 1 tons ride and handle just fine but are much more capable. The MPG is a concern but probably not that different.
Jayco-noslide

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
Truth is. I didn't know I did it until I sent it, and then I didn't know how to change it.
Edit.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Towed a 5er with a 2007 half-ton Chevy for years. BUT, it had no slides and was 25 ft. long. Still, didn't feel I had much reserve. So, generally, it's not a good set-up and they don't even make many that short and light any more. But, like towing anything it's all about the manufacturers tow rating and the actual loaded weight of the thing you're towing. If it fits, its OK.
Jayco-noslide

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
I asked a salesman at CW about the Cougar Half-ton Towables. He was surprised at my question of pin weight and couldnโ€™t tell me what the weight was on the smallest unit, so he went and looked it up. 2200 pounds. I laughed and he stated that he didnโ€™t know of many half tons that had that much payload. They could pull it, though.
The majority of back roads that I have driven in the UK would be no fun in that rig.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, I thought it was a pretty cool trailer that offered a lot in a lighter platform. The slide looked very slick with much less chance for leaks compared to what I usually see. That goes for the whole rig too.

I don't need a 40 foot long, 20 foot wide house everywhere I go. I would entertain owning a fifth wheel like this in a heart beat. With a fatter wallet of course.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
ScottG wrote:
I think some folks do that because posters will suddenly delete their entire post for no apparent reason.
I don't care.. let them. I've never seen that happen.

In do it because I hang on much busier forums than this and it is not uncommon the have 4 people posting at the same time. Others Never quote and the problem becomes nobody knows who is talking to who. Sorry for the inconvenience.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
romore wrote:
I would not do it but as long as you can hook it up tow anything you want behind your half ton. Fully loaded that trailer is almost 10,000# with 20% of that, over 1900#, on the hitch. That is too much for any 1500/f-150 regardless of what the saleman told you even with the 10 ply tires, air bags and genuine JC Whitney doule blowdown genuine chrome plated shccks. Coming down an 8% grade into a 40 mile an hour wind gust will give you religion.

How do you figure? It's 6,400 pounds empty, do you honestly think someone is going to fill that tiny thing with 3,600 pounds of cargo? Not to mention the GVWR is 9,500. It's going to end up at 7,000-7,500 and 1,400-1,500 pin which is within the ability of plenty of half tons.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would not do it but as long as you can hook it up tow anything you want behind your half ton. Fully loaded that trailer is almost 10,000# with 20% of that, over 1900#, on the hitch. That is too much for any 1500/f-150 regardless of what the saleman told you even with the 10 ply tires, air bags and genuine JC Whitney doule blowdown genuine chrome plated shccks. Coming down an 8% grade into a 40 mile an hour wind gust will give you religion.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
So funny that for the UK market a 28' narrow body 5er with a single slide is seen as a mobile penthouse but here stateside that floorplan would only be used for the most entry level unit (Arctic Fox being an exception).
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
ScottG wrote:
I think some folks do that because posters will suddenly delete their entire post for no apparent reason.

Truth is. I didn't know I did it until I sent it, and then I didn't know how to change it.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yet another of the long line of just enough truck posts.
If you want a fifth wheel, why not just get a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck and be done with it?

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
2oldman wrote:
We have a 5th wheels forum. First responder quoting the entire OP. I'm always puzzled by that.

This way it's etched in stone!