cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best truck for Northern Lite 10-2

TCjeff
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I just ordered a 2020 Northern Lite 10-2 LE and are now shopping for a truck. I hoping to get some advice on which would be the best truck for our camper.

We're planning a 1 year trip all around Canada and the US. When we get back I will go back to work part-time, easing into retirement and use the camper for trips down south in the winter.

I'm a real newbie to truck camping. As well I'm a city boy (Montreal Canada) and knew nothing about trucks until we decided buy a TC and I starting doing research on the web, including this forum. Based on what I've learnt so far I’m thinking 3500 or F-350, 4wd, air bags. I’m not biased between Ford, GM or Ram so am open to any.

As well, I’m uncertain regarding gas or diesel, and srw vs dually. We plan to boondock a fair bit and would like to be able to access off the road type campsites ... but nothing too crazy!

Thanks in advance for the help!
92 REPLIES 92

devildog1971
Explorer
Explorer
I ix it all air bags super springs, timbres, you na it I tried it . Then I talked to a real expert, and who is a real expert when it comes to suspension on vehicles. Truck Campr sales lots have the easy to install things that make them money ( mostly) A Suspension shop are experts fro small to large trucks. I was told a story about superstrings that were put on ambulances. turned out not to be the very best solution, same with the other little goodies. A shop that specializes in everything from ambulances, truck campers semi trucks one shop in my arenas been in business for 55 years they do work for the local cities ,counties the state, and private enterprise. my truck was a 2007 dually long bed, over the years the springs were out of factory specs. they put the springs back to factory specifications, then he added a extra spring in the middle. All this was done with the camper on the truck it does not sag bounce porpoise any of those weird things you here about on forums. If you want expert work see a expert
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2 Piece wrote:
SeaBud wrote:
Not wading in on this other than to say I wanted a SRW for bad winter conditions (montana) and required that it not exceed weight with an NL 10-2 wet bath.

I got a 2020 Ford F350 Diesel 6.7L engine. Payload listed on the "yellow sticker" is 4585lbs. This is perfectly adequate for a camper with a listed dry weight of 3285 (actual on my camper is 3350lbs). My truck has an increased GVWR of 12,500 and is an XLT package if anyone is interested. Just letting folks who want a NL 10-2 and a SRW truck know that a very comfortable combination is available.

Oh my. My 2018 F350 6.7 drw, crew cab, 4x4, 8' bed has a payload sticker of 5500 lbs. The drw option must add 1,000 lbs payload.

Oh my!
Ya think?
Nothing bettter than ressurecting old threads for more slapstick entertainment!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
TCjeff wrote:
And I was leaning towards srw and gas.

No def fluid to worry about with gas. Less complicated engine. I understand that gas engines are more efficient than they used to be. More powerful as well. Thinking about Fords new 7.3 litre gas engine. But still nowhere near the performance and torque of the diesel. But I’m hauling 4500lbs or so. Not towing 20,000 or more. So I’m really conflicted.

We in the West tend to over-truck, F150 properly configured may be more practical.

Da fuk?
Sam you’re drunk or high. Go sleep it off...

2_Piece
Explorer
Explorer
SeaBud wrote:
Not wading in on this other than to say I wanted a SRW for bad winter conditions (montana) and required that it not exceed weight with an NL 10-2 wet bath.

I got a 2020 Ford F350 Diesel 6.7L engine. Payload listed on the "yellow sticker" is 4585lbs. This is perfectly adequate for a camper with a listed dry weight of 3285 (actual on my camper is 3350lbs). My truck has an increased GVWR of 12,500 and is an XLT package if anyone is interested. Just letting folks who want a NL 10-2 and a SRW truck know that a very comfortable combination is available.

Oh my. My 2018 F350 6.7 drw, crew cab, 4x4, 8' bed has a payload sticker of 5500 lbs. The drw option must add 1,000 lbs payload.
2018 F350 6.7 diesel, 4x4, DRW, crew cab, 8' box.
2018 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE.

Those that do not read have no advantage over those who can not.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
SB - welcome, but I had to read the entire thread since you brought it back to life!
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

SeaBud
Explorer
Explorer

ardvark
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for clarifying.

Steve

ardvark
Explorer
Explorer
WillDoo wrote:
ardvark wrote:
WillDoo wrote:
Dually does just fine in the snow with good aggressive A/T tires and someone at the wheel with snow driving experience. Loaded with camper it's an unstoppable tank, unloaded it's so so but completely functional. We live in Oregon and drive ours back and forth over the cascades all winter, bought it specifically for skiing and snowboarding. Rig is a 17 F-350 CC DRW Diesel platinum with 35" Goodyears, airbags, and stableloads. Camper is an 18 Lance 975, we are 5k-5500lbs loaded and ready to hit the road

I went with ford because it had the highest rated payload at the time of purchase. For the most part I love it, Power and handling are absolutely amazing, creature comforts are top notch. It has had a number of little electrical issues though that have been taken care of under warranty. Nothing more than a small hassle as the local ford dealership is great, but it remains to be seen how things play out once the warranty expires.

Grew up in Minnesota, lived there 35 years, new Michelin ATs on truck, not even in the same all park with my single rear wheel when it comes to snow. Guess all those plow drivers got it wrong. 🙂

Steve

I'm not saying an SRW isn't better in the snow. I'm saying if one needs a dually for payload reasons, concerns of snow handling aren't remotely a deal breaker as the DRW does just fine empty, and does fantastic with the TC on it

WillDoo
Explorer
Explorer
ardvark wrote:
WillDoo wrote:
Dually does just fine in the snow with good aggressive A/T tires and someone at the wheel with snow driving experience. Loaded with camper it's an unstoppable tank, unloaded it's so so but completely functional. We live in Oregon and drive ours back and forth over the cascades all winter, bought it specifically for skiing and snowboarding. Rig is a 17 F-350 CC DRW Diesel platinum with 35" Goodyears, airbags, and stableloads. Camper is an 18 Lance 975, we are 5k-5500lbs loaded and ready to hit the road

I went with ford because it had the highest rated payload at the time of purchase. For the most part I love it, Power and handling are absolutely amazing, creature comforts are top notch. It has had a number of little electrical issues though that have been taken care of under warranty. Nothing more than a small hassle as the local ford dealership is great, but it remains to be seen how things play out once the warranty expires.

Grew up in Minnesota, lived there 35 years, new Michelin ATs on truck, not even in the same all park with my single rear wheel when it comes to snow. Guess all those plow drivers got it wrong. 🙂

Steve

I'm not saying an SRW isn't better in the snow. I'm saying if one needs a dually for payload reasons, concerns of snow handling aren't remotely a deal breaker as the DRW does just fine empty, and does fantastic with the TC on it

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
TCjeff wrote:
Thanks again for all the input everyone. I could never have imagined that payload capacity would be such a hard thing to determine!

In my case, however, it seems that a dually is preferred. However, I noticed that srschang alluded to having to deal with snow with a dually. Living in Quebec, snow is a given. Is a DRW problematic in the snow?

Also, on another topic, my driveway has a slope of approximately 8% downwards from house to street. I'm concerned that leveling the camper after removing it from the truck will induce bending in the jack posts as I raise the front legs, which I understand could cause jamming and be problematic for the jacking mechanism, etc. It seems to me that the only way to avoid this would be to build a ramp of some sort for the front wheels to back up onto such that the truck and camper are both more or less level before unloading the camper from the truck. Am I right to be concerned?

I don’t think it will be an issue at 8%. Just be careful how you unload it.
Not ideal, but unloaded camper in the woods a few times where it wasn’t very flat at all.
If the jack pads are visibly not in full contact with the “slope” I’d consider wedges or shimming up a good plywood pad.
Jack camper up until almost clear of truck bed and then just raise the front jacks up until level or near level front to back.
Camper will move up and away from the front of the truck bed.
Re loading the camper, you may need to keep the truck a bit forward so the camper lowers down and forward into position in the bed.
Don’t think I’d want to go much more than 8% though.
Building a ramp for the truck won’t improve the issue. Camper is still sitting on the slope regardless.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:
Our GMC 3500 dually has a camper rating of 4,913 lbs. it handles our AF 990 fine. What about a set of super singles for the rear in the winter when the camper isn’t on the truck?

Super singles suck in the snow,they hydroplane..Back in the day we used to put big wide tires on the rear for camper stability,works good except in the winter..There is no water channel like on dual wheels..There like a big 'ole drag car slick..

But they look kool..

Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Our GMC 3500 dually has a camper rating of 4,913 lbs. it handles our AF 990 fine. What about a set of super singles for the rear in the winter when the camper isn’t on the truck?

2_Piece
Explorer
Explorer
JD5150 wrote:
ardvark wrote:
otrfun wrote:
ardvark wrote:
Brochure says mine is 4,250, door sticker says 3,829. Brochure does not list with options. Door stickers are nearly always less unless maybe stripper XL model. Mine is an XLT. 🙂
Year? Gas? Diesel? CC? EC? SB? LB?

Already posted all that in earlier post: 2012 gasser EC LB 4x4. Brochure versus reality of sticker is a common issue.

Steve

Yeah I have a 2017 F350 4x4, XL, CC, LB, SRW, Gasser. Door sticker 4140 max payload.

Never had to order it, bought it off dealer lot new with snow plow and camper packages.

I have 2018 F350 DRW, 4X4, crew cab, 8' bed, plow and camper package, 6.7 diesel, with XLT package. Door sticker says 5500 payload.
The truck only drops 2" in rear when my 2018 Northern Lite 10-2 is loaded on truck ready to go with full tanks. I have no need for air bags, load stabilizers or larger sway bars. The truck handles the camper almost like it's not even there.
2018 F350 6.7 diesel, 4x4, DRW, crew cab, 8' box.
2018 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE.

Those that do not read have no advantage over those who can not.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Dually does just fine in the snow with good aggressive A/T tires and someone at the wheel with snow driving experience. Loaded with camper it's an unstoppable tank, unloaded it's so so but completely functional.

Exactly...I get around great in the snow in mine and it is the dreaded 2WD-DRW..With TC on,it's like the city snow plows 1-ton 2WD-DRW dump trucks...All I need is a plow now(Laffin)
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04