Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Best truck for Northern Lite 10-2
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Best truck for Northern Lite 10-2

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
2 Piece

Northern Virginia

New Member

Joined: 09/11/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/19/19 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JD5150 wrote:

ardvark wrote:

otrfun wrote:

ardvark wrote:

Brochure says mine is 4,250, door sticker says 3,829. Brochure does not list with options. Door stickers are nearly always less unless maybe stripper XL model. Mine is an XLT. [emoticon]
Year? Gas? Diesel? CC? EC? SB? LB?


Already posted all that in earlier post: 2012 gasser EC LB 4x4. Brochure versus reality of sticker is a common issue.

Steve

Yeah I have a 2017 F350 4x4, XL, CC, LB, SRW, Gasser. Door sticker 4140 max payload.

Never had to order it, bought it off dealer lot new with snow plow and camper packages.


I have 2018 F350 DRW, 4X4, crew cab, 8' bed, plow and camper package, 6.7 diesel, with XLT package. Door sticker says 5500 payload.
The truck only drops 2" in rear when my 2018 Northern Lite 10-2 is loaded on truck ready to go with full tanks. I have no need for air bags, load stabilizers or larger sway bars. The truck handles the camper almost like it's not even there.


2018 F350 6.7 diesel, 4x4, DRW, crew cab, 8' box.
2018 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE.

Those that do not read have no advantage over those who can not.


GeoBoy

Bennington

Senior Member

Joined: 04/15/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/19/19 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our GMC 3500 dually has a camper rating of 4,913 lbs. it handles our AF 990 fine. What about a set of super singles for the rear in the winter when the camper isn’t on the truck?

jaycocreek

Idaho

Senior Member

Joined: 12/28/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/19/19 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GeoBoy wrote:

Our GMC 3500 dually has a camper rating of 4,913 lbs. it handles our AF 990 fine. What about a set of super singles for the rear in the winter when the camper isn’t on the truck?


Super singles suck in the snow,they hydroplane..Back in the day we used to put big wide tires on the rear for camper stability,works good except in the winter..There is no water channel like on dual wheels..There like a big 'ole drag car slick..

But they look kool..

[image]

[image]


1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Online
Posted: 11/19/19 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TCjeff wrote:

Thanks again for all the input everyone. I could never have imagined that payload capacity would be such a hard thing to determine!

In my case, however, it seems that a dually is preferred. However, I noticed that srschang alluded to having to deal with snow with a dually. Living in Quebec, snow is a given. Is a DRW problematic in the snow?

Also, on another topic, my driveway has a slope of approximately 8% downwards from house to street. I'm concerned that leveling the camper after removing it from the truck will induce bending in the jack posts as I raise the front legs, which I understand could cause jamming and be problematic for the jacking mechanism, etc. It seems to me that the only way to avoid this would be to build a ramp of some sort for the front wheels to back up onto such that the truck and camper are both more or less level before unloading the camper from the truck. Am I right to be concerned?


I don’t think it will be an issue at 8%. Just be careful how you unload it.
Not ideal, but unloaded camper in the woods a few times where it wasn’t very flat at all.
If the jack pads are visibly not in full contact with the “slope” I’d consider wedges or shimming up a good plywood pad.
Jack camper up until almost clear of truck bed and then just raise the front jacks up until level or near level front to back.
Camper will move up and away from the front of the truck bed.
Re loading the camper, you may need to keep the truck a bit forward so the camper lowers down and forward into position in the bed.
Don’t think I’d want to go much more than 8% though.
Building a ramp for the truck won’t improve the issue. Camper is still sitting on the slope regardless.


"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

WillDoo

Eugene, OR

Full Member

Joined: 10/22/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/19/19 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ardvark wrote:

WillDoo wrote:

Dually does just fine in the snow with good aggressive A/T tires and someone at the wheel with snow driving experience. Loaded with camper it's an unstoppable tank, unloaded it's so so but completely functional. We live in Oregon and drive ours back and forth over the cascades all winter, bought it specifically for skiing and snowboarding. Rig is a 17 F-350 CC DRW Diesel platinum with 35" Goodyears, airbags, and stableloads. Camper is an 18 Lance 975, we are 5k-5500lbs loaded and ready to hit the road


I went with ford because it had the highest rated payload at the time of purchase. For the most part I love it, Power and handling are absolutely amazing, creature comforts are top notch. It has had a number of little electrical issues though that have been taken care of under warranty. Nothing more than a small hassle as the local ford dealership is great, but it remains to be seen how things play out once the warranty expires.


Grew up in Minnesota, lived there 35 years, new Michelin ATs on truck, not even in the same all park with my single rear wheel when it comes to snow. Guess all those plow drivers got it wrong. [emoticon]

Steve


I'm not saying an SRW isn't better in the snow. I'm saying if one needs a dually for payload reasons, concerns of snow handling aren't remotely a deal breaker as the DRW does just fine empty, and does fantastic with the TC on it

ardvark

Bristol, TN.

Full Member

Joined: 05/02/2018

View Profile



Posted: 11/19/19 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WillDoo wrote:

ardvark wrote:

WillDoo wrote:

Dually does just fine in the snow with good aggressive A/T tires and someone at the wheel with snow driving experience. Loaded with camper it's an unstoppable tank, unloaded it's so so but completely functional. We live in Oregon and drive ours back and forth over the cascades all winter, bought it specifically for skiing and snowboarding. Rig is a 17 F-350 CC DRW Diesel platinum with 35" Goodyears, airbags, and stableloads. Camper is an 18 Lance 975, we are 5k-5500lbs loaded and ready to hit the road


I went with ford because it had the highest rated payload at the time of purchase. For the most part I love it, Power and handling are absolutely amazing, creature comforts are top notch. It has had a number of little electrical issues though that have been taken care of under warranty. Nothing more than a small hassle as the local ford dealership is great, but it remains to be seen how things play out once the warranty expires.


Grew up in Minnesota, lived there 35 years, new Michelin ATs on truck, not even in the same all park with my single rear wheel when it comes to snow. Guess all those plow drivers got it wrong. [emoticon]

Steve


I'm not saying an SRW isn't better in the snow. I'm saying if one needs a dually for payload reasons, concerns of snow handling aren't remotely a deal breaker as the DRW does just fine empty, and does fantastic with the TC on it


ardvark

Bristol, TN.

Full Member

Joined: 05/02/2018

View Profile



Posted: 11/19/19 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for clarifying.

Steve

SeaBud

Montana

New Member

Joined: 08/01/2020

View Profile



Posted: 08/01/20 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not wading in on this other than to say I wanted a SRW for bad winter conditions (montana) and required that it not exceed weight with an NL 10-2 wet bath.

I got a 2020 Ford F350 Diesel 6.7L engine. Payload listed on the "yellow sticker" is 4585lbs. This is perfectly adequate for a camper with a listed dry weight of 3285 (actual on my camper is 3350lbs). My truck has an increased GVWR of 12,500 and is an XLT package if anyone is interested. Just letting folks who want a NL 10-2 and a SRW truck know that a very comfortable combination is available.

cptqueeg

Idaho

Full Member

Joined: 04/11/2020

View Profile



Posted: 08/01/20 07:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SB - welcome, but I had to read the entire thread since you brought it back to life!

2 Piece

Northern Virginia

New Member

Joined: 09/11/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/02/20 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SeaBud wrote:

Not wading in on this other than to say I wanted a SRW for bad winter conditions (montana) and required that it not exceed weight with an NL 10-2 wet bath.

I got a 2020 Ford F350 Diesel 6.7L engine. Payload listed on the "yellow sticker" is 4585lbs. This is perfectly adequate for a camper with a listed dry weight of 3285 (actual on my camper is 3350lbs). My truck has an increased GVWR of 12,500 and is an XLT package if anyone is interested. Just letting folks who want a NL 10-2 and a SRW truck know that a very comfortable combination is available.


Oh my. My 2018 F350 6.7 drw, crew cab, 4x4, 8' bed has a payload sticker of 5500 lbs. The drw option must add 1,000 lbs payload.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Best truck for Northern Lite 10-2
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.