Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Best truck for Northern Lite 10-2
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Best truck for Northern Lite 10-2

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/19 06:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Swines, very well written, informative post! Thanks!

srschang

Western NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/19 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with ardvark on the choice of truck for his camper and his use. I'm within months of replacing my 2003 Travelite SB camper. We've owned it since new, and have taken it to Florida many times, all over Canada, and even to Alaska earlier this year (we live near Buffalo, NY). I've always owned Ram / Cummins, mostly because I retired from Cummins after 40 years, and feel a sense of loyalty.

All that said, we've decided that it's time to move to a bit larger dry bath camper. The truck I currently have is a 2015 SRW SB. We know we need to move back to a LB to get the dry bath and size we want, the big debate is SRW vs DRW. I've never owned a DRW truck, all four of my Rams were SRW, three SB and one LB. I absolutely want to stay away from DRW if at all possible, because my truck is used more for grocery and Home Depot getting and pulling a snowmobile trailer way up into Quebec than hauling the camper. Don't want to deal with the DRW day in day out just so I can haul a camper a few times each year.

I think where we're going to end up is with a Ram or Ford SRW LB gasser, and a Northstar 12 STC camper. We spent some time at Truck Camper Warehouse in NH talking to Bill. Looked at NL, Northstar, and Arctic Fox. We had looked at Lance a couple months ago when we were in Oregon. Per ardvark's comments above, the Northstar 12 STC is 3600# wet, I think the Ram or Ford LB SRW gassers are rated to haul 4300 or 4400#. Just me and my wife, no pets or relatives to travel with, and we've learned over the years that we don't need to take much "Stuff" I'm much more comfortable running close to or at the weight limit than driving a DRW through snow and trying to park.

Another issue that is very unique to my situation is the camper will be stored in a heated pole barn with a 12'door. That reeeeeally cuts down on the camper choices. Bill and I climbed all over the Northstar with a measuring tape, and we will be close to 11' 3" to the top of the A/C shroud.

So, as ardvark said, it's about your "best fit" based on your situation. Lot's to take into consideration, there's no "Right" answer for everyone.

2020 Ram 3500 SRW Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC

ardvark

Bristol, TN.

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sticker info on 2012 F350 SRW LB Supercab (not crew cab) Gasser (not diesel)
6,000 front plow axle 7,000 pound rear 11,000 GVWR Payload not to exceed 3,829

Truck - me, wife, and a full tank of fuel Front 4,440# Rear 3,200#
Truck as above with Northstar Laredo wet Front 4,820# Rear 6,120#

Height ground to top of AC shroud 10'6" when loaded on truck

No matter what you are reading, I would encourage you to actually look at the sticker on any truck you are considering. Lots of folks get a shock when they go on the Internet and then see what they actually have on their sticker.

I don't think that STC is only 3,600#; given NorthStar is posting a weight of 3,176 dry, I bet you are over 4,000 wet, if you add the normal 800-1,000 pounds. Just my two cents. The NorthStar site shows a dry weight of 2090 dry with no options for our Laredo, but optioned and wet our camper, etc. ready to roll adds 3,300 to the truck. [emoticon]

Steve

* This post was edited 11/18/19 09:50am by ardvark *

srschang

Western NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/19 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, I'll have to check into it. At Truck Camper Warehouse Bill had a brand new Ford F350 Supercab SRW he just bought to deliver campers. While he was talking to other customers, I opened the door and looked at the sticker. Payload not to exceed 4380# or something close to that.

Scott

ardvark

Bristol, TN.

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

srschang wrote:

Yep, I'll have to check into it. At Truck Camper Warehouse Bill had a brand new Ford F350 Supercab SRW he just bought to deliver campers. While he was talking to other customers, I opened the door and looked at the sticker. Payload not to exceed 4380# or something close to that.

Scott

I had heard the payloads were upped considerably starting with the 2017 models. Quite a jump!!

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 12:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ardvark wrote:

I had heard the payloads were upped considerably starting with the 2017 models. Quite a jump!!

That on Fords, where aluminium bed and heat-treated frame shaved over 500 lb from truck weight, putting that into payload.

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/19 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ardvark wrote:

srschang wrote:

Scott
We test drove a new 2019 F350 CC SB SRW diesel a few months ago. Surprised to see the payload (door jam sticker) was only 3380 lbs. What specific options do you need on the latest gen F350 to get that payload closer to 4,000 lbs? Our 2016 Ram 3500 CC SB SRW diesel has a payload of 3,960 lbs.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ You either need some Kayteg magic, or need to understand that options (curb weight) affect it (but not necessarily 100% with respect to how much goes on the rear axle) and understand that a F350 srw truck can be purchased in nearly every increment form 10,000 to 11,500 lb gvwr.

Note, the new aluminum body, new frame 2017 and up Ford Superdutys didn't really lose much curb weight overall. Frame and body reportedly lost 350lbs and other components got heavier. Any increase in GVWR due to curb wieght reduction compared to the old super dutys is likely 200lbs or less.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the weight police, those srw trucks that you see with over 4000lb payload capacities (plenty of them that have 4300-400lb maybe a bit more), is kind of misleading when talking loads that pretty much only load the rear axle like a truck camper.
All HD srw trucks are 3000-3500lbs empty rear axle weight. "Payload" in the truck cab is roughly split between the f and r axles. Camper puts 100% or nearly 100% on the rear axle.
So, if you're counting calories on your truck and you have 500lbs in the cab, that's say 250 on the rear and 4000lbs of camper, that could be ALL on the rear. Now you're, best case 7250lbs on the rear axle and most of the tires and wheels have their own rating in the 3500/3600lb range!

Tricky? If you're worried about it, that's why so many recommend going straight to a dually. Even with the best intentions, it's easy to bust out of the "numbers" on a srw truck.

On the flipside, there's been and continues to be 10s of millions of trucks running around daily, for years "busted" out of the "numbers" without any ill effects.
Depends how far you push it.

ardvark

Bristol, TN.

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

otrfun wrote:

ardvark wrote:

srschang wrote:

Scott
We test drove a new 2019 F350 CC SB SRW diesel a few months ago. Surprised to see the payload (door jam sticker) was only 3380 lbs. What specific options do you need on the latest gen F350 to get that payload closer to 4,000 lbs? Our 2016 Ram 3500 CC SB SRW diesel has a payload of 3,960 lbs.

I think you need to go with a gasser to get that rating. The Ford spec sheet for 2020 is here:
https://www.ford.com/trucks/super-duty/models/f350-lariat/

That's my guess. I know, I know, but I am just the messenger. [emoticon]

Steve

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Best truck for Northern Lite 10-2
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.