cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Big Bend

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone been to the national park? We have a hunting property about 2 hours away and want to bring the trailer down there at the end of season (late Jan-Feb). Any suggestions? Thanks.
17 REPLIES 17

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
Been saying I would go for years. Was thinking about using Seminole Canyon SP as a stopover from Houston.
Anyone have experience there?

We used Seminole Canyon as a stopover from Houston to Alpine. It was a good park. Finding a site there shouldn't be a problem. We were the only rig in our loop. I would recommend a full day there. Take the tour into the canyon (you must sign up for a scheduled tour) to see the native American rock art. If you hike the trail to the Rio Grande in the park, the cliffs on Lake Amistad are quite impressive. We also enjoyed a visit to Langtry, home of Judge Roy Bean, "The Law West of the Pecos." We got a kick out of seeing the "No Fishing from Bridge" sign at the high level bridge over the Pecos River Canyon on the way to Langtry.

I recommend gasing up in Del Rio. There may not be any fuel from where US90 crosses Lake Amistad near Del Rio to Sanderson. We found the stations in Comstock and Langtry closed on the Sunday we tried to refill there. There might be more options now, but the entire area is pretty remote, as you might expect.

I noticed the church in Langtry only had services 1 or 2 Sundays out of the month.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
Been saying I would go for years. Was thinking about using Seminole Canyon SP as a stopover from Houston.

Weโ€™ve stayed at Seminole Canyon a few times when traveling from my wifeโ€™s family in Baton Rouge to Big Bend. For us, its a great stop to break up the drive and, even though we always arrive after hours, finding a good site has never been a problem. Itโ€™s not a destination but easily worth a half day of exploring the Native American history in the area if you have the time.

There are also several primitive sites available just off US 90 around the Amistad NRA.

As someone posted earlier, Big Bend is a Park youโ€™ll either love or hate - itโ€™s been one of our favorites for over forty years.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

GoHorns
Explorer
Explorer
We were down there two years ago during Christmas. We spent a few days on the east side at the Stillwell Store (just outside the park). .. as well as Maverick Ranch on the west side. Both had full hookups and we enjoyed them both. Stillwell Store is amazingly remote...
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 3.92
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
Equalizer 14k

Semi Empty Nesters
Jer 20:9

monkey44
Nomad
Nomad
We love Big Bend ... can't wait to head there again.

If you're on your way and pass near Ft Davis State Park, that's a great stop-over. Small park, but lots of history, not to mention the Javalina antics.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from a week there. Stayed at the Big Bend Resort RV Park. Think I paid about $25 a night for 30A & water in the no reservation section. Since it was Thanksgiving school break, everything else was booked.

As far as the park, it was pretty much to be expected for the area, dirt roads but out of all the parks I drove by, they did seem to be the largest with the most amount of shade trees, which is a rarity in that area. Nothing like shade trees from mountains like Colorado, Montana, etc...just West Texas desert shading. They do advertise WiFi, but from where I was located in proximity to the office, it was pretty useless. The do have a lobby/TV/pool table kinda area that you can chill at and the reception is much better. Showers are $2.00 for 5 minutes and it's well worth it after a long day. They also have bathrooms, but can get congested at times. they do have a laundry facility from 9a-5p that has a bathroom as well...USE THAT ONE. Minimal traffic. Overall, I was happy with the location and overall campground itself, and I wouldn't have a problem staying there again, but I'd plan better and make reservations.

Price for diesel was $3.30/gal & 2.95 for unleaded. There are visitors centers withing the parks that sell fuel, but didn't check prices. With the exception of beer, everything is about 25-35% higher there that what I'm use to paying at home. The closest Wal-Mart was about 150 miles, so take what you think you'd need.

As for Big Bend, you really have to experience it to understand it and become infected with it. It's either love it/hate it. If you're use to having activities overload on trips, then you might be disappointed. However, if you're willing to seek out the beauty of the area, then it's easily to get overwhelmed with the geology/ecology of the area. There are several miles of dirt roads to travel (4x4, dirt bike, ATV) and several hiking trails and that's where you can get a true feel for the area.

Terlingua is a quirky town that has a personality that can't really be described with just one word.

Fall & Spring are their buzy seasons so plan ahead with the holidays being even busier. Overall, it was a great trip and it will be on my to visit list again real soon.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Study Butte has a couple of cg. You'll need to check campgroundreviews for their names. We stayed at one in July, both are basically parking lots. And then there is the one in the video which is 15-20 minutes from the park.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
Any other recommendations for camp grounds? Iโ€™d like full hook ups as our hunting camp is completely off the grid and Iโ€™d like to be comfortable on the road.

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking of going in the next couple of weeks. Have all the plants/vegitation gone dormant or is there still enough color for some good picture taking?
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
We were there last February in the Chisos campground. (Small rigs only.) Temperate days, cool nights. We'll be back!
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
Big Bend NP is a sensational experience if you like remoteness.
It's far away from anything so stock up with all essentials before
arriving. I stayed at Stillwell Ranch, just outside the NP - has hookups
and a good place to use as a base - I think he has 4,000 acres. Then moved
to Terlingua.

I ride dirt bikes and mountains bikes, so I spent 2 weeks riding all the remote
dirt roads in the NP. The views as spectacular. The road to Presidio is a
"must do" - essentially parallels the Rio Grande.

You can get supplies at Study Butte/ Terlingua, but fresh fruit/veggies come
just once a week so stock up. Couple of good campgrounds in this area and there
are 5 or 6 bars/restaurants as well. There is one in Ghost Town where all the
locals hang out and watch the sunsets - kind of a unique place. All the people
I met were exceptionally friendly and very easy to strike up a conversation
(I live in NJ - enough said)....

Did I say it's remote? some of the rustic campsites are literally in the middle
of nowhere. Make sure you're gas tank is topped up (although there is a gas
station the NP).

I'm going back this Jan but staying at the State Park and riding to Ruidosa -
another "must do" drive.

Enjoy - you'll love it,
Gerry

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
A great and varied NP, worth visiting with several campgrounds but limited hook-ups. We will not go back in the winter because of the wildly fluctuating temps. Both visits, it started hot and dropped like a rock, even down to 7 degrees F with wind. Dangerous. Spring or Fall should be great.
Jayco-noslide

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just recently got a reservation at the Maverick rv Ranch there, the place he stayed at in the video. We wanted 2 weeks in early March and barely got 1 week in February. This will be our first time down there and looking forward to it.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK this will get you started, watch the next episode too which is on the state park just to the south west of the NP.

You can 'primitive camp' in the NP too, but you have to drive on gravel roads to do it. There is one long road, River Road, along the Rio Grande that has camping all along it and on other backroads, and there are many, you'll find marked camping spots. River Road is certainly worth driving, lots of interesting spots along it.

The park itself is huge and one of the least visited major parks in the system. The video above discusses the camping areas in the park.

I suggest stocking up before getting down there, prices are high no surprise. There is one mini-super market in Study Butte. There are a couple of gas stations inside the park. The busy time in the park is the cool season, the place is semi closed down in the summer.

There are many threads here about the park, you migh want to try a search.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper