Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Time to hang up the keys...(consignment ?)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Time to hang up the keys...(consignment ?)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
goufgators

Crawfordville, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/19 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DownTheAvenue wrote:

If you have decided to get out of RVing altogether, then selling it on consignment is wise. Craigslist is difficult at best with the scammers and unqualified. PPL Motorhomes in Texas is the best place to sell on consignment.

However, if you still want to RV, why don't you consider trading the motorhome for a Class B van conversion. AS easy to drive as a car, yet still a real RV!

Considered that. But, with 3 canines and wife...believe it could be a bit cramped particularly on extended trips.

2017 Winnebago Sunstar (gas)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/19 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is the unit and what age? Unless it's fairly late model you're probably not going to get very much no matter how you sell it. Will it be an amount that would be worth going to more trouble to sell it on your own? If it "should" sell for 10s of thousands then I would try Facebook Marketplace or RV.com for at least several months. But if is only "worth" several thousand I would take the easiest way and not worry about the money. OK, I just looked and saw that it's a 17 and would be worth some work and trouble.

Jayco-noslide

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/19 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is my understanding that you comp and liability insurance is no longer in effect when you leave a MH on a consignment lot. And consignment lots do not provide insurance. Check with you insurance agent before using a consignment lot.

Richard

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com
First brake job
1941 Hudson

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/19 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the biggest dealers in the South is about 270 miles from you near Tampa. It is LazyDays RV sales. You might want to call them and see what they can do. It is fast approaching the time when the snowbirds will be flying South and this place sells more RV's than anyone. I can't give you any first hand info about them but I am sure that others have dealt with LazyDays.

Airdaile

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/19 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Price it right and list it on craigs list with lots of pictures. Don't respond to anyone on an offshore oil platform who is buying "the unit" sight unseen for full price for his father and will send an agent to complete the deal.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/19 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am sorry to hear that.
We had a bad experience with consignment. It sold but the dealer tried to come up with some BS about a repair he had to have done and wanted to subtract that from the money he owed me. He went ballistic when I asked for a copy of the receipt.
That's when I knew he was lying.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/19 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goufgators wrote:

cavie wrote:

Keep the MH. Park it in a Seasonal site and keep on camping!! I pay
$1700.00 per year in Eastern MA. $2400 -$3600 will get you a very nice spot. You can also buy a lot in an RV resort. Lots of options.

Good idea for someone with a travel trailer or 5th wheel; however, a motor home needs to be driven on a regular basis. I try to take mine out at least monthly for a drive of about 30 miles.

So turn the key once a month and go for a ride.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

samsontdog

Oregon, Wash Coast summer, Yuma Az winter

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/19 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just last week a friend put her 5th w on consignment here in Yuma. She has a Montana 36 ft in exc cond. She wants $8,500 for her part and I went and looked at it and the Dealer is asking $18,950. Her husband died and she wanted
a fast sale. So much for a fast sale plus she did not know she signed a 6 month consignment. So be careful what you sign. I had a MH on consignment some yrs ago and they backed into a light pole and did $20K damage which they said I signed off them being responsible. I will never do that again

samsontdog">">

doxiemom11

Yoakum Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/19 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our neighbor this summer in a park, sold his 2002 gas motorhome that was in nice, clean, completely working condition and used Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace with pictures. Took 1 week to sell it and he received $27,900 for it. Top dollar for that year coach. Not sure which site his buyer came from. Had 2 others look at it prior to the buyer.

olfarmer

Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/19 06:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This topic kind of makes me sad. I just turned 75 and although I still can drive the motor home fine, I don't seem to look forward to heading out like I used to. I worry more about problems on the road, finding a campsite and what could go wrong. I don't want to quit RVing as I don't like to fly and don't like hotels. This getting old sucks!

Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Time to hang up the keys...(consignment ?)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.