cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

roof coating

Elk_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone used the RV roof magic product on their roof. According to manufacturer no primer is needed for application. If so how well does it hold up?
6 REPLIES 6

Hoerschel
Explorer
Explorer
ItsyRV wrote:
So, if you have a membrane roof, save the money and buy the less expensive acrylic as the silicone won't hold up much longer than the acrylic on those roof.

Steve, a customer service rep I spoke with at Henry's (maker of 100% Silicone TropiCool), this statement is untrue. Membrane roofs are warrantied for life when coated according to directions with their 100% Silicone Tropicool. I'm not a paid spokesman, just a customer who has done extensive research on how to best protect my TPO membrane roof.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Just be careful using these roof coatings. Henry's makes two types, Silicone and Acrylic. The acrylic roof coating works best on standard membrane RV roofs like EPDM or TPO. The silicone is best for fiberglass, metal or bare wood roofs. Sadly the more expensive silicone won't last as long as the less expensive acrylic when applied to rubber roofs. This is the main reason so many complain that silicone roofs fail. It's not that the silicone roof is bad, just the wrong product was used. Likewise, the less expensive acrylic roof coating won't last as long as the silicone when dealing with hard roof surfaces like metal, fiberglass or even bare wood.

So, if you have a membrane roof, save the money and buy the less expensive acrylic as the silicone won't hold up much longer than the acrylic on those roof. If you have a hard roof, metal, fiberglass, wood, etc., definitely go with the silicone.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

macjom
Explorer
Explorer
Can't go wrong with Henry roof coating. It is easy to apply, relatively inexpensive and 100% waterproof.

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
I like "Henry Tropi-Cool" I ordered it through Home Depot. It applies really nice. NO primer, wash roof before application. If your roof is wearing down showing lots of Black Spots, it is time for a roof coating. My original roof was
26 years old. I used a 1/2" nap roller and one coat did the trick.
Brian

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I am probably somewhere in the middle. If your roof is okay, don't coat it. If it's getting older it may need coated.

I have found that by coating the roof, I don't get nearly as many black streaks on the side of fhe RV.

I'm not familiar with RV Roof Magic. I have used Heng's Rubber Roof Coating. It does not need a primer, goes on easily and holds up well to the Pennsylvania summers and icy, snowy winters.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
I am probley in the minority but I do not like or use total roof coatings. I reseal seams but why do the whole roof? I have seen roof coatings go bad making it tough to find the point of enrry.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)